towing advice

davecuss

Visit site
as you probably already know i have just brought a invader19ft...
i have a landrover at the moment to pull it with plus i have my normal car..
the landrover is proving to be to thirsty to tow with and its an extra thing to tax,mot etc...
i would like to sell that and my normal car to buy a car that is suitable to tow my boat with...
any suggestions on what sort of car i can safely tow the boat with...
ie..volvo estate or do i need 4x4...

thanks again

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Would think most things will tow it. Obviously the bigger the better. But then theres launching it. Now thats another matter and rather depends on where!?? Get a big 4x4 that should do it.

<font color=red> No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Haydn

mtb

Visit site
A mate of mine is selling a 1961 landrover petrol ( tax exempt )
it's had tons of work done and needs small amount to finish .
I've seen it and its quite substantial re rear cross member out riggers and brakes clutch and all the usual .
You cant beat a Landrover maybe not fast but pulling your boat up a muddy slip way !!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler or tug v, cheap or swap for tug

ArthurWood

Visit site
The weight of the towing vehicle should be at least as much as the boat + trailer + stuff in the boat. Check the towing capacity of the vehicle you are considering and also see if they recommend an oil cooler. I don't know if there are trailer boat mags in the UK, but if there are, look for articles re tow vehics.

lanason

Visit site
There is no way I would reverse down a wet slipway with a front wheel drive car with more than 800kg on the back. I also tow caravans and have got stuck plenty times with a car. Wheel spin is inevitable - However now I've bought the Land Cruiser it should be no problem grip wise, even with 2.5 tonnes of Kelisha on the back.

Now then there are two major ways to recover a biggish boat onto a trailer :-
1) Put the trailer totally into the water and drive the boat over the top and attach at the winch.
2) Put the back of the trailer into the water and put the bow just up on the first rollers. Use the winch to pull the boat up and bit then reverse the trailer back further into the water, winch again etc.

I prefer 2 - much safer to ensure the boat is sitting properly on the trailer.

Adrian

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>Kelisha Pics</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

neale

Visit site
You will need to know the weight of the boat+trailer+fuel and other gear.
The only way to be sure is to get it weighed.

Some of the larger saloons such as the Granada can tow up to 1900kgs and they are available in 4 wheel drive versions. Having said that at 2.9ltrs they are not going to be economical which was the whole point!

I would consider going down the classic land rover route. No tax and Cheap insurance.

G

All good advice. I tow a Cruisers 224 Holiday...about 2.8tonnes (the trailer is 1/2 tonne!). I use a Discovery. YOU NEED A 4X4 FOR SLIPWAYS..I had some horrendous incidents when I used a Rover 214SLDi to tow our first boat..a Shetland Family Four! Apart from the comfort over say a Land Rover 110, the economy is remarkable...probably the best by quite a margin over other 4x4s. I towed the 224 plus 4 in the Disco and all luggage to Plymouth from Worcester this summer (all motorway admitedly) and the disco only used 1/3 tank of diesel...amazing!
Plus Discoverys knock Jap 4x4 thingys into a cocked hat!!! That's why BMW bought Land Rover so that they could pinch the 4 wheel drive and transmission system and load it into their new X 4x4 or whatever they call the thing..all IMHO of course.
I daresay I've upset the Jap 4x4 brigade but I've said it know, so there. Hmmm..buy British!!

****If it's too loud - you're too old....****

jon_bailey

www.cerberusstorage.co.uk
We have a 1994 Nissan terrano and have used it to tow a Maxum 2100SC + large 4 wheel trailer all year. Total weight is just over 2T and we have had no problems although we have needed low ratio 4WD on several occasions.

The 2.7 TD engine in the Nissans (& Ford Maverick) is the same as used for some of the London taxis and is bullet proof. Well worth considering in my opinion.

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Hi Dave,

I needed 4x4, and something for 3 kids, and economical and fairly cheap to buy, so I ended up with a Vauxhall Frontera LWB diesel. Big inside and comfortable, handles well, does 36mpg, hasn't had any failures in over 2 years of ownership and I bought it as a "Network Q" car at 6 months old (5000 miles) with the full manufacturers warrenty and all for £13,000.

Servicing parts can be expensive because there appears to be no aftermarket manufacturing for these cars - but that's my only gripe.

Good Luck.

Madoc Yacht Club
www.madocyachtclub.co.uk

BarryH

Visit site
You can get a lot of the spares from an Izuzu dealer, if you can find one! They're basically a "badged" Izuzu 4X4. Same as the old Midi van.

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!

AJW

Visit site
Discovery? Only if you like spending time by the side of the motorway waiting for the AA man! And of course if you've got loadsamoney. I had two in a 18mth period whilst working at Landrover and whilst you can't beat em for image, the Active Cornering Enhancement roll control system and permanent 4x4, think they are overpriced have atrocious ergonomics and I'm afraid unless you buy one manufactured within the last year or so way too unreliable/poor build quality. (i.e. since the time that Ford put some modicum of Quality control into Solihull. Believe me LR has gone on quite a journey qualitywise since Uncle Henry bought it from BMW but there is a helluva way to go yet!)

Had the opportunity to buy my ex company car Disco when I left but way too much wonger. Bought an 18mth old Isuzu trooper instead. Way more room, way more power (160hp, 245nm torque), nice auto box and reliability that LR will be unable to dream of for several years yet. Also cost me considerably less than similar vintage Disco.

Doesn't look as posy but since its now my car to run rather than a companies I know what I'd rather have! I tow a 7.5m RIB on a dirty great SBS trailer - 2.25 tonnes all up. Tows like an absolute dream.

To answer the original posters question - a meaty Jap 4x4 is the way to go for comfort and peace of mind. Go for a diesel, pref an auto and avoid fashion items like Shoguns and you can't go wrong.

Cheers, AJ

mtb

Visit site
Re:read with interest

Yes some good points so here's a more in-depth stuff re mine and why I say what I say.
My 1988 110 station wagon has heavy duty rear springs and a Mazda 3.5 litre TD
I have also a reasonable duty electric winch which fits onto the front bumper.
I towed a 22.5 foot cabin cruiser at, shall we say I had to over take !!, with no problems what so ever .The suspension is very predictable and certainly compares to a disco .
Yes the engine is unusual but its extremely reliable economical and are still obtainable from the company who import them from South Africa.
In all I did over 26 thousand miles in it last year guess what , I only changed the front brake pads general servicing oh and one of the rear anti roll bar link's for this years MOT

What ever you decide on remember most slip ways are just that very slippery so regardless of tire choice invest in a good winch and carry good quality rope for winching your self out.

Japanese stuff might look pretty but think about the cost resale value and wearability they just don't compare . At auction a posh Nissan thingy 1994 plate went out the door at £5250.00 plus buyers premium, there were no faults re body or mechanics so what does that tell you
Nissan's 6 cyl' TD engines are very good that's with out a dought but the body work is crap and very expensive to replace .
I did not go but at Billings this year there were quite a few tax exempt 90 look a likes !!!.
So get your self a Land Rover but change the engine then you'll have the right kit for the job.
Cheers
Mick

chippie

Visit site

Mtb, I have found the landrovers drive like a truck (dont know about the discovery) whereas the jap stuff is a bit more user friendly IMHO.The Landrover guys all end up being expert spannermen.
I agree with you re the diesels, I have seen a few boats with Nissan diesels and they are a good conversion.
My stepson had a Pajero with a PTO winch that had amazing power.(pulled logs out of the bush), the main problem being the anchoring of his vehicle.Horses for courses I suppose.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by chippie on 25/09/2002 00:20 (server time).</FONT></P>

mtb

Visit site

Yes I know what you mean re spanners , but thus far nout to worry about .
The early Series Landrovers yes ,I did always have stuff to do but again I did a hell of lot of miles my old S111, I rebuilt it completely using a late ex MOD then sprayed it P&0 glow in the dark orange that they paint their ferrys with ha ha my kids didn't enjoy traveling in it then.
The gearbox on this one has backlash re the main shaft duplex chain , the fella that had it coverted to the Mazda engine got the gearbox rebuilt at the same time .
The box is the lt type , I thought I'd have to rebuild it after a short while but its still the same all I do is take my time while changing gears.
Now the weather is getting colder here especialy out here in the fens I will start plugging the Kenlow pre heat system in ,it realy does make a massive difference and only takes ten mins to warm the engine up .
I smile every time I get into it cos it was free plus £506.40 WHY !!
Well he used iit to tow a big yank caravan which at the time I thought well if I can get £700 or £800 for it would help with the £3000 I paid him for it .
Any way got it home looked at the caravan which was verey plush and needed a good clean which took a while to do , I sold the caravan for £3500. and found £6.40 in the ash tray !!!
Now thats my kind of deal.
Cheers
Mick

G

Seems like you've got tons more experience of Land Rovers than most of us!
But I knows wot I likes!
Well, all I can say is my Disco has done 135000 miles..reg oil changed every 6ooo reg 12000 mile service..runs like a dream. I suspect if you get a bad 'un, you get a bad 'un!
Admitedly where the different metals meet, there is a reaction ie slight surface corrosion (usual places..bottom corner of rear door/inside rear door frame/ abit round side roof skylights.
I've got a huge SBS trailer too..brilliant, but bloody heavy aren't they?!
Also prefer to see 'LAND ROVER' on bonnet rather than 'NipponsakiHiya!' or whatever.
Buy British!

****If it's too loud - you're too old....****

AJW

Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I was a LR enthusiast way before I ended up working there. Used to own both a 1967 SII LWB and 1972 SIII SWB. Its just that seeing the operation from the inside was an enlightening experience and proved that the Disco's for me at least don't stand up to the competition in quality and vfm terms, espc. when its your own hard earned at stake.

Agree about SBS trailers. Discovered that mine is one size bigger than my mates one for his 23ft Cobalt. In fact its so heavy duty that I really need to tow the RIB with its 60 gall fuel tank FULL to get a comy ride!! Tows like a dream though, solid as a rock. The people at SBS are very helpful as well when it comes to advice and spares.

Cheers, AJ

MBJB

Visit site
buy an old 3.5 or 3.9 v8 and you can hardly complain about VFM!
I think they're triffik. Almost so good that the fuel consumption becomes acceptable -almost /forums/images/icons/smile.gif