Tool sharpening on board

pcatterall

Visit site
I usually manage to misuse chisels, screwdrivers and scrapers and would like to be able to sharpen them on board ( boat in Spain)
I do have a couple of stones on board but it takes a lot of work on some of the most misused. I thought that on.my next trip I would bring some sort of grinding wheel that would fit in my drill.
Any advice as to what is the best buy,?
Will my drill have a fast enough speed?
Do I need 2 grades?

DownWest

Visit site
I usually manage to misuse chisels, screwdrivers and scrapers and would like to be able to sharpen them on board ( boat in Spain)
I do have a couple of stones on board but it takes a lot of work on some of the most misused. I thought that on.my next trip I would bring some sort of grinding wheel that would fit in my drill.
Any advice as to what is the best buy,?
Will my drill have a fast enough speed?
Do I need 2 grades?
Local friend bought a jig off the web that does a decent job on plane blades and chisels. Powered by a standard drill and easy to set up. Needs a little 'touching up' on a fine stone, if fussy. But quite impressed. Quite cheap IIRR
I will ask him for details.
DW

Concerto

Visit site

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
A whetstone or oilstone should be sufficient for maintaining an edge if you are unsure about maintaining the correct bevel then there are plenty of guides that can work for chisels and plane irons with them. There really should be no need for grinding but I think the clue lies in the word misuse 😁

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I have converted to diamond stones. The rougher grits repair damaged edges very easily. Can be bought as kits with lube, guide and leather strip. Fast and easy.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site