Tom Eckhoff - Tome - RIP

Santana379

Visit site
How desperately sad.

People always speak well of the recently departed, but there's a real sense reading this thread of someone very special indeed - bright, talented, kind, funny and popular. I wish I'd met him.

My thoughts and prayers are with Karen and his family.

Stingo

Visit site
He could and usually would take every opportunity to rub it in that I am Seth Efricen.

Tome, at least I am not a lilly-white-skinned-politically-correct-Cherbourg-lummied-NMEA'd-sails-without-the-mainsail pommie!

suse

Visit site
One brief acquaintance - over a Chinese meal in company a year ago - obviously a full life well lived - I'm so incredibly saddened to hear this news. Please pass on my deepest condolences.

Susy xx

TheBoatman

Visit site
I've just logged on and to read this is awful. I only met Tome virtually and will miss him because we seem to think the same (most of the time).

My condolences to his family.

Peter.

PS
I'm off to get a large single malt and toast his life.

G

I don't know what to say, except that it makes me very sad indeed. His infectious good humour came across in his posts.

MapisM

Visit site
It took a while for me to realize that this was not a joke, because I missed the previous posts about Tom's troubles.
Now, I just finished reading about them, and I can only say one thing: I will forever regret not having joined you all in wishing him good luck one month ago.
My deepest condolences to his family.

robp

Visit site
Very shocked and extremely sad to hear this news. Not been on here for some time but bumped into Tom in Chi Halfords a couple of months back. Little do we know, really upsetting. Great character and a good laugh. My condolences to Karen and family.

Sailfree

Visit site
So sad to hear the news and my condolences to his wife Karen and his family.

I did not know Tom very well but enjoyed his postings. On the last Cherbourg trip I walked round with him checking on boat arrivals and to confirm the number for dinner. With only that short experience it was apparent to me from the banter he had with nearly everyone the huge respect and affection that people had for him.

I was saddened to hear of his illness and admired the post Tom made explaining it and its potential seriousness. Like others I hoped Tom's spirit would see him through but it was not to be.

A sad loss.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Tom was an expert navigator if he had his gizmos online. Apparently he was in part or in total responsible for systems that would allow drill ships to 'hover' over wellheads with less than half a metre of movement in any direction. On land, it was a different matter. It took him over six hours to get from West London home to Petersfield one day. He started by catching the tube in the wrong direction!