Tom Eckhoff - Tome - RIP

JoeV

www.mirabellayachts.com
I got a new job, and so hadn't been checking in on the forum as much as usual as I get my head around my new responsibilities. So I missed Tom's original announcement. Today I am in complete shock and utterly gutted.

This man embarrassed me beyond belief, but made me laugh myself silly. He was so mischievous and charming. His razor sharp wit was as quick as his ability to make an intelligent and insightful technical observation. Not wishing to insult anyone else here, but if I only had 3 mins to look on this forum I would often only look up just his posts (OK, maybe tcm's too) and my YBW craving was more than satisfied.

After the sting I was worried about meeting this motley crew of stingers, but I was so glad that I did, because I met a bunch of really great people. But now I am even more relieved that I did walk into the PoW that night, because if I had not I would never have met Tom. Anyone that has ever met him will know what a gift he was to us all.

Karen, my deepest condolences. I know how much he loved his short time on MV, and if you can spare a small item of his please send it to me and I will put it somewhere so he can stay aboard forever. Otherwise I have a couple of pictures of him standing on deck, looking like a kid in a sweet shop that will do the trick nicely.

Tom…. a complete scoundrel and true gentleman.

Joe

Forbsie

Visit site
We had a sad loss in the yard a couple of years ago. Some of his ashes were split among friends who mixed them with epoxy and applied it to their boats. He is now sailing many oceans and, since the epoxy and ashes are in view, is remembered constantly.

jfm

Visit site
Only just caught up with the forum and this news. How unbelievably sad. Tom was way too young. Cutter is right that we should "carpe diem" and actually Tom was a fine example to us all: he carpe-ed pretty much every diem and so enjoyed many adventures and of course wonderful time with Karen. I was lucky enough to meet him, and Karen too, quite a few times, dating back to when he was devising the sting, which typified his cleverness and great sense of humour. Karen we are all thinking of you. Tom was a complete star and will be much remembered and missed
John

Seanick

www.nickgates.co.uk
So sad to hear about Tom. He was such good fun, and so knowledgeable too. I hold him personally responsible for my love of big wooden boats, having spent many happy times on his Baltic trader Meridianin the late 80's. We spent a wild night at East Head, having dragged anchor three times. The hand anchor winch was the size of a mini, and raising the anchor was character forming! Coming up through Chichester Harbour in an 85 footer was a great feeling, and Tom put her beautifully alongside Bosham Quay. Not easily done, as astern took 100 turns of a huge wheel and took several minutes! All done in a cool and light hearted manner.
He will be sorely missed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tcm

Visit site
the flaming foreshore

I am standing on the foreshore having another weep cos someone has nicked the boat! Gits! No warning, nothing, it's just gone. It was a really great boat too, called Tome, and i wanted to have a laugh for years with it, and now i flippin can't. Yeah, i'm sposed to be okay about the boat leaving cos for some other people it's one it's way TO them. Pah! That's just stupid, like rejoicing cos that burglar is having a nice time with my bicycle which also got nicked. I simply wanted to keep that bicycle and i ESPECIALLY wanted that boat. Damn damn...

boguing

Visit site
I've only just heard the news. Like all of us that didn't physically meet him, it felt as if I must have because I seemed to know him so well.

He supported me in one particular banter, which we thought very funny, others did not. Sadly it was about smoking, and that really has brought me up short.

I won't forget him.

oceanus

Visit site
I haven't been on the forums for a few years, I had the pleasure to sail with Tom on his oyster a few years ago. (Think we meet TCM in the pub/thia food) and a number of other times, that makes me remember our mad dash out in 48 knots and whimpering back. Damn Good fun.
Just re-created a account, thought I'd try and memo tom and found this news :-(
He was a person to admire, and I did.
Last time I saw him was over in Cowes, we had rushed the mainsail in, badly packed...I was so annoyed when Tom sailed past because I 'looked up to him' 'respected him' and thought damn, his goner take the piss!

Such a lost.

fantasia7628

Visit site
Five years

It is with horror as I have just realised that it is five years since my old friend Tom Eckhoff died, time flies. I often think of him and of our exploits and sailing adventures when we were younger. He left a big hole in many people's lives as he was one of those very special blokes who would get on with anyone.

John Hartley

Sybarite

Visit site
The last time I saw Tom was on the Sunday at the Cherbourg meet. He was going round to settle the shortfall on the dinner bill from the previous evening. He wouldn't hear of it being shared.

He was painfully thin at this meet and, though he didn't announce his illness until later, it was obvious that there was a problem. It still came as a shock when his passing away came so quickly afterwards. He was a great guy.

Sailfree

Visit site
Cherbourg Scuttlebutt Cruise always raises its glasses to absent friends. For many of us that means Tom.

There was a thread discussing whether the Scuttlebutt Cruise should be name after him but the consensus of those that knew him best is that it wasn't something Tom would have wanted.

Its always tempting to look back on departed aquaintances through Rose tinted spectacles but few on this Forum were so well liked and respected as Tom and as such so missed.

Last edited:

KREW2

Visit site
Yep, good guy, very missed. 5 years now innit. Hum.

Indeed it is.
If I recall correctly we were at sea the day of his funeral. So! we had a little service on Mojomo, with a moving piece of classical music playing loudly.

Last edited:

graham

Visit site
Only knew Tom from a few Cherbourg weekends but that was enough to know he was a genuine nice man. It was obvious his crew held him in high esteem. RRP mate.Did you manage to pass off a photocopied 10 euro note at the pearly gates :)

rhumlady

Visit site
I didn't know the guy but I read a number of his posts and learned from them. I also read all the posts below and felt very sad for his family and friends but I am amazed that it is 5 years ago. Where is the time going?