Tom Eckhoff - Tome - RIP

BrendanS

Visit site
What shocking news. I first met Tom on one of the Cherbourg trips, after many years of exchanging banter with him on here, and reading his knowledgeable posts. He was the epitome of what these forums are about, sharing knowledge and having fun in equal measure. I will have a pint tonight in his honour. He was one of the people on this forum for whom I had a very soft spot, and will miss him intensely

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I too, have not had the honour of meeting Tom, but always read his posts with interest. He will be missed, there are already too few gentlemen on these fora.

I'm sorry I can do little to help, Karen, but I'm sure you will find many memories to help you be gratefull for the good times you have had together.

Saguday

Visit site
Unfortunately I never met Tom but I certainly remember Tome - I'm completely shocked and saddened, especially as I'm afraid to say I missed his post about his illness so this came as a complete surprise.

My best wishes and condolences to his family.

KREW2

Visit site
Sad sad news.
I only met him once it was late at night and our words were sticking together, well mine were anyway. When he joined our table I felt we were in the company of a forum star. A click on any post from Tome guaranteed sound advice, a witty riposte or a good anecdote.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
There is nothing else I can add to what has already been said.

Sad sad news, a real shock here.

Our condolances to Karen and the rest of the family.

Stephen & Anne

(Galadreil)

zefender

Visit site
Tome was one of the smartest yet most modest people I've ever met. Hugely helpful, funny and hedonistic, he'll be sadly missed. It was a privilege to know him.

J

jstr

Just left the Square Brewery in Petersfield where Tom's life is still being celebrated. I only met him once, in Cowes, and he was a fantastic character. Although there were a few tears today, we have celebrated a life - such a wonderful man - what a great shame he has been taken from us. I apologise that this post overlaps wit the memories one, but I feel the need to post - He was the same age as Richard and I , and we can't believe the swiftness of this - it's so sad.

boatmike

Visit site
May I add my condolences to his family to those on here who new Tome better than I did. I only met him once at lst years Cherbourg bash but he was an obvious "good guy" and a character to boot. His posts always showed his humour and caring nature and I have heard many stories from those who he helped. As one who has lost someone very close to this terrible disease myself I can only hope that the speed at which he was taken reduced his suffering. RIP indeed....

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Like others, I missed the earlier post regarding his illness. I only met Tom once on the Cherbourg trip, but I always looked upon his help and knowledge with great affection

He will be sadly missed on the fourm

<span style="color:blue"> Weep not for me, I am free from pain,
My earthly troubles o'er,
I hope to meet you all again
Upon a happier shore.</span>

santeana

Visit site
Tome, I never new you; I never met you; I never spoke with you; I never even saw you; just read you. Thanks mate!
"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die"

FullCircle

Visit site
What a treasured forumite Tom is. For those of us who looked on in awe with such brilliant stings like the Mirabella V thing or the Weekend Julie threads,it is unbelievable the speed that he has been taken away.
I finally got to meet the man earlier this year. I was sober when we met, and no longer sober when we parted. A gent with a huge lust for life. Who could forget the grin or the sharply pointed jocular dig in the ribs delivered with precision, whether in person or here on the forums. No affectations, just a real deep love of boats and the people around them, and of course his knowledge of electronics baffled most of us who benefitted from that store.

A grand fella deserving a grand send off.

Karen and the family have my deepest deepest sympathy.

Adieu Tom

machurley22

Visit site
Deeply saddened by this.

Heartfelt sympathies to his family.

hunt-surprise2.jpg

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Richard,

we have only just got home from a weekend away to read this, and am somewhat lost for words. It is only 10 days ago when I exchanged txts with him and he seemed upbeat after the gamma knife operation.

Even though I met Tom only about 12 times, originally through this forum, we consider him and Karen to be good friends. Both great people, well suited to each other.

We feel so sorry for Karen, and hope that we will be able to keep in touch in the future.

Love
Nick and Karen.

Marmalade

Visit site
The amazing and in this case saddening effect of the internet is to connect us to people we've never met and without it wouldn't have encountered. Having only read Tome in these forums I can say that they are the less for his passing.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with Tome's family and friends

Simon