Tom Eckhoff - Tome - RIP

BigLes

Visit site
I have only just picked up on the sad news about Tom and can't believe what I am reading. I was one of many who thought he would come through this and we would see him out on the water again next year.

I met Tom through this forum and was fortunate enough to sail with him on the second Scuttlebutt Cruise (along with Fatipa and the 'Emsworth Boys'). He even invited everyone who sailed on his boat for an end of season reunion dinner at The Sussex Brewery pub in Emsworth. The following year I did the crossing in my own boat and Tom was the one who gave me the encouragement to do it, helping me with passage plan queries and offering valuable advice. A true friend and gentleman.

We would like to offer Karen our condolences - our thoughts are with you.

Love - Les & Jean.

Gunfleet

Visit site
It's really hard to know what to write. I expect a few of us feel like that. But we should all say something because Tom was a good sort. I only met Tom a couple of times (Cherbourg, Cowes) but liked him very much and sometimes swapped friendly messages with him on here. He reminded me of the Tom in Roderick Random, a generous fellow and easily amused. Now both he and his crew from those days have 'gone aloft.' Well, wherever they are, I hope they've got their big chest of cold beers with them. Good luck and fair winds, Tom. You were one of the best.

tcm

Visit site
An evening with TK and tome

Ken must have had a bit of a fit one day, and he and his lovely wife decided they needed some lunatics to visit them at home in west london. So they invited tome and me, together withe with wives to keep thing vaguley in check, and it was a very very jolly evening as far as i can remember. I am so pleased to have had such a great time with tome (and all) that evebing and at other times too, but all the more very blo ody cheesed off that i won't be having another evening nor doing a transat with tom, ever. Feck! I am so very very sad at this, and flippin in tears, again.

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
Terrible news, both Claire and I will miss Tom (and Julie's) advice, banter and wit.

Thoughts and prayers with all who knew and loved him.

beancounter

Visit site
Just caught up with this - what a shock. The forum will be a poorer place for Tom's passing.

If the Almighty needs some help with the Celestial mechanics, He's probably got a useful bloke with Him now....

Our sympathies to his family

StugeronSteve

Visit site
Richard,

I'm very sorry to hear this news. Please let Karen know that Pat and I will be keeping her in our thoughts and prayers.

Tom never struck me as being one to take undue risks, but he was never afraid to slip his lines and confidently put to sea when he knew the time was right, even if the rest of us were less certain of the forecast. I guess Tom knew that the time was right.

There are many strong personalities in this world, there are many that have been blessed with a sharp intellect, but few manage to combine those attributes with kindness and modesty. Tom was one of the few.

God bless you Tom, you'll will be missed.

DAKA

Visit site
Condolences to the family, I knew of Tome only from this forum where he was a welcome visitor, the last time we 'spoke' we were both laughing.