To the Baltic with Bob

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Thought I should put my money where my mouth is.

Griff Rhys Jones who is a lifelong sailor buys a classic yacht with the intentions of sailing to St. Petersburg with friends.

His motley crew, including Bob appear to try wholeheartedly to thwart the trip at every opportunity. Griff is a stickler for a neat and tidy boat, Uninda his yacht soon becomes like Bobs own space down below as Bob spreads his kit over every surface available.

It is a brilliantly funny book which most sailors who have taken none sailors out will relate to, the frustration of trying to explain to a landlubber why something needs doing.

The best part was I did not feel Griff had dumbed down the sailing aspects at all, in fact I wonder if none sailors might find the book a little difficult without a pocket book of sailing terms, but for 'us' that makes it far more readable. The book is also and interesting pilot of what happens when the crews wander in to town, Griff's observations are witty and will suit many of the forumites as he does like a good a rant!

If you were not sure before, I would like to recommend this book as a brilliant log of a Baltic voyage.

Edit>> A short movie of Griff discussing the book.

beancounter

Visit site
Hmmm, yes. I though the book flagged a bit once they'd reached St Petersburg. Still a great read tho', and an interesting "alternative pilot book" on our visits to the Baltic.