Tips for Sailing up the river Rhine?

syscode

Visit site
Hiyas.
I have an idea of sailing to the Danube from the uk on a 21ft catamaran.
This requires sailing up the river Rhine from around Rotterdam to Frankfurt. (where its possible to turn into river Main.)
I understand the flow speed down the Rhine can get pretty high indeed. Wondering whether anyone has any experience, tips or local knowledge.
Cheers!

johnalison

Visit site
I once had a ride in a paddle-steamer from Mainz to Boppard and I can confirm that it runs very fast. At a guess I would say 3-4kn in places, but this is just an impression from fifty years ago.

Supertramp

Visit site
I read a book about the journey made in a small Dutch boat and before WW1. A gripping tale and I recall strong currents and flood water height figured large - they did it in winter/spring. They pulled it by hand on most the upstream bits as it was in the days of towpaths. They were tough. The linking canal stretch was a rest cure.

I made a mental note to cycle it, not sail it!

I have cycled the lower Rhine and avoiding the motorised barges would be high up my worry list - the "wiggly bit upstream of Koblenz especially. I would be surprised if there were no restrictions on small craft movements in the Rhine gorge.

Choosing a time when the currents are less seems wise. I would expect to burn a lot of fuel to make slow progress. Bit of a long shot but a barge might take a boat on deck. They do carry cars and boats for crew/owners.

It would be a lot easier the other way.....

Good luck.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
To be sure, I have done this both ways in a powerful twin screw motorsailer. The worst part, with the highest flow, is through the scenic "mountains" north of Bonn and up past Bingen, but in particular the section at ST. Goar. In this stretch even the very elderly were limping past us on the alongside foot path and this with both engines running flat out.
Engine failure in this section will guaranteed lead to a proverbial sh*t show.
Frankly I wouldn't think it much fun with a 21' cat.

I highly recommend coming into the Rhine via the French canals at Strassbourg and taking the downhill route to the Main river.

Alicatt

Visit site
Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
It might be more practical to go up the French canals via Calais or Le Havre and come back down the Rhine. Even so, maybe I'm getting old (I am), but I think I'd want something a bit more substantial than a 21ft cat.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Others have mentioned the strong currents, etc, but plenty of power is required for swapping sides on bends when blue flagged. Not mentioned is the lack of non marina type stopping places, for yachts. and the need to be off the river in the dark. havnt done it recently, but even 15 years ago anything over 45 foot needed a Rhine patent, which is a sort of driving licence on top of the cveni mentioned. Plenty of rough water , when there is wind against current plus the commercial wash.

davidej

Visit site
I assume that the OP wants todo it in a racing type cat like a Hobie or similar. Probably no engine , radio or anything except a trapeze and a pack of sandwiches.

If I am right, many of these comments won’t apply.

st599

Visit site
I rode the Rhein Cycle Route a couple of years ago. The river level was so low that the navigable bit was about 15m wide at Wiesbaden. Beautiful route though, especially near the Lorelei.

st599

Visit site
There are a number of big sailing clubs on the Rhine, may be worth searching to see if they have any guides for members.