TIMES ARE A CHANGING

shanemax

Visit site
Simple question. I am out for a few days. Do I find a beautiful anchorage with perhaps 4G or do I find 4G first with perhaps a beautiful anchorage.
All my favorite places have crap reception.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Find a nice quiet anchorage and shut yourself away from the world. Your reward will be a weekend of joy.
Absolutely!!! (y) ... that is what I go sailing for.

This particular anchorage has zip in terms of coverage - you can just about make a phone call if you are lucky - it's a must on our way back to the marina because the lack of coverage also ensures it is quiet.

DJI_0919.jpg

dunedin

Visit site
Clearly a troll post. But I am amazed that there would be poor phone reception in the SE of England, where the land is low lying and few if any hills and rocks. By using the right phone network (generally EE up here) can get decent internet signal in most remote anchorages in the wilds of Scotland these days.
I generally don’t use for phone calls - but handy for weather forecasts and keeping up with family via WhatsApp.

shanemax

Visit site
It means you can watch the meaningless news or meaningless films on you phone/I pad/kindle when it's gets dark at 7oc

tillergirl

Visit site
I know, I know. I was trying to be sardonic! :devilish: Frankly I don't understand going to an anchorage and watching a mobile phone. Most mothers do that while walking a pram, They don't need to go to an anchorage.

Oh dear, the moderators will put me on the naughty step. But hey! I wouldn't need to do the weekly Notices to Mariners if that happened (y) cos I would be suspended. (y)(y)

And as for Paul! :sneaky: Oo-ie. Got a full signal? You ...........

Mind you, I am nearly as smug: I can get about 500 metres of coverage between West Mersea and Colchester :eek:

shanemax

Visit site
I switch on you tube.for a while when it gets dark. Obviously not in peak summer but tonight it will be darkish about 6.30 so little to do apart from fishing/reading/cooking etc.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Clearly a troll post. But I am amazed that there would be poor phone reception in the SE of England, where the land is low lying and few if any hills and rocks. By using the right phone network (generally EE up here) can get decent internet signal in most remote anchorages in the wilds of Scotland these days.
I generally don’t use for phone calls - but handy for weather forecasts and keeping up with family via WhatsApp.
Ely, on top of the highest point for miles around, has awful mobile phone coverage in the town centre - so much so that the town council provide free WiFi!

Greg2

Visit site
Simple question. I am out for a few days. Do I find a beautiful anchorage with perhaps 4G or do I find 4G first with perhaps a beautiful anchorage.
All my favorite places have crap reception.
We have a 4g WiFi router and a TV aerial booster aboard but getting signals is rarely a primary consideration. If we get reception it is a bonus if that is what we want to do as it drops dark but it is always the location that really matters. There are no rules though - do what works for you.

Bouba

Visit site
I usually find that even if mobile phone reception is dodgy you can still get TV reception…so it’s not a total loss…I suppose I could read or practice French…