Time to Move

xyachtdave

Visit site
Hope it goes well, a change of scene is always good. The only thing that might concern me would be the legendary traffic chaos at the port and surrounding areas at peak times.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Make a habit when entering Eastern of sticking close to the control tower until they give you the green light,,, then crossing the entrance to the southern breakwater before turning sharp to stb.. (and the reverse on the way out), they will get to know you and trust you.

We were instructed to leave port when Nord Pass de Calais was barreling in because they knew how I behaved.. He was giving it loud on the horn. But when First Officer called up Port Control to confirm we had understood instructions, we were told NPC had plenty of room... Though it didn't look like we had huge amounts of space as we came out behind the wall.

johnalison

Visit site
Make a habit when entering Eastern of sticking close to the control tower until they give you the green light,,, then crossing the entrance to the southern breakwater before turning sharp to stb.. (and the reverse on the way out), they will get to know you and trust you.

We were instructed to leave port when Nord Pass de Calais was barreling in because they knew how I behaved.. He was giving it loud on the horn. But when First Officer called up Port Control to confirm we had understood instructions, we were told NPC had plenty of room... Though it didn't look like we had huge amounts of space as we came out behind the wall.
One of our jollier moments was when entering Eastern we had been given permission to proceed and had started to motor in but were still outside when a ferry called up asking to leave. Port control told him that there was a yacht coming in and he would have to wait.

One of our less jolly moments was when entering Western in a F6 in our old Sadler 29 when a wave reflected from the mole hit us and knocked the tiller out of my hand and knocked us well off course, but with no harm done. I treated it with great respect after that.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
I’m about to relocate to Ramsgate and yes there is a waiting list. I had been waiting since February.

It seems that there is a general shortage of the longer berths becoming available, but less of a problem to accommodate smaller boats. Anything over 35 feet and it’s a struggle - at 36 feet I fell into the difficult pile, so had to wait. In any case I’m still going to have to squeeze onto a short pontoon until a longer more suitable pontoon finger.

They have had a bit of a clear out, over the last year or so, alluded to here, but there does appear to be mis-matched smaller boats sat in long pontoon fingers, that could be relocated to smaller fingers, freeing up some of the longer pontoon fingers.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
I’m about to relocate to Ramsgate and yes there is a waiting list. I had been waiting since February.

It seems that there is a general shortage of the longer berths becoming available, but less of a problem to accommodate smaller boats. Anything over 35 feet and it’s a struggle - at 36 feet I fell into the difficult pile, so had to wait. In any case I’m still going to have to squeeze onto a short pontoon until a longer more suitable pontoon finger.

They have had a bit of a clear out, over the last year or so, alluded to here, but there does appear to be mis-matched smaller boats sat in long pontoon fingers, that could be relocated to smaller fingers, freeing up some of the longer pontoon fingers.

Thank you for the clarification on that, it's really good to hear.

Thinking back on It, everytime we have visited the spare pontoons were really short and bumpy.

harvey38

Visit site

Are you going to the inner marina?

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
They’ve stuck me on Sidmouth a short finger, temporarily I’m told. Apparently I’m now on a further list waiting on a longer finger. But it had been such a palava that I thought let’s just take anything!

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Pleased you got sorted, which pontoon are you on? We're on Rennies, a cracking social mix of raggies and mobo folk👍
There is a pontoon named after a heartburn & indigestion medication? With Pfizer just down the road with links to one particular gentleman's medication (admittedly they are closing down their operation) the the names for the other pontoons might be quite interesting, or is there another Rennie? :)

harvey38

Visit site
There is a pontoon named after a heartburn & indigestion medication? With Pfizer just down the road with links to one particular gentleman's medication (admittedly they are closing down their operation) the the names for the other pontoons might be quite interesting, or is there another Rennie? :)
Tis an odd mix of names and I don't know the reasoning behind it, I've only just found a map with the pontoons names on it. I suppose it bucks the trend of A,B,C etc😣

Daydream believer

Visit site
Sad to see you go David but at least it's closer to nip over the other side.⚓
Not a lot of "nipping" when the only easy places to do Schengan is Dieppe & Ostend. I am told Calais is a pain & Nieuport is not very helpful
Personally I would have thought Dover a retrograde step.
Depends where onelives of course.
Dartford crossing to navigate.
Then hassle getting in & out of harbour.
Rough waters outside
Can only go left or right & where to- Ramsgate one way & nowhere else- Well who on earth would want to go to the Medway etc
Then turn right & go to Brighton etc.
No decent anchorages for anyone to join the anchor threads
Not much better than the east coast for France or Holland due to Schengan- Saves a day perhaps & that is it.
As far as the town is concerned- OK for eateries & the YC. Chippy is OK there is a couple if you like the walk. Nice skanky pub, but a bit of a boring walk. Well it is a ferry port after all
Nope- Bad choice in my view

Last edited:

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
‘Well, who on earth would want to go to the Medway etc’

This is a little unfair and opinionated!

Many of us sail on the Medway and throughout the Thames Estuary North with all the delights of the East Coast proper and South and there are many challenges for the everyday cruiser sailor.
The Swale is beautiful - in parts - and we regularly anchor at Harty Ferry. Emerging from the Swale at Queenborough after transiting the inside passage there the creeks of Stangate, Sharfleet and Half Acre. These are tranquil protected and full of natural life.

I’m sure you have sampled all these delights and no doubt enjoyed them. Everywhere has positives and negatives even Dover.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Not a lot of "nipping" when the only easy places to do Schengan is Dieppe & Ostend. I am told Calais is a pain & Nieuport is not very helpful
Personally I would have thought Dover a retrograde step.
Depends where onelives of course.
Dartford crossing to navigate.
Then hassle getting in & out of harbour.
Rough waters outside
Can only go left or right & where to- Ramsgate one way & nowhere else- Well who on earth would want to go to the Medway etc
Then turn right & go to Brighton etc.
No decent anchorages for anyone to join the anchor threads
Not much better than the east coast for France or Holland due to Schengan- Saves a day perhaps & that is it.
As far as the town is concerned- OK for eateries & the YC. Chippy is OK there is a couple if you like the walk. Nice skanky pub, but a bit of a boring walk. Well it is a ferry port after all
Nope- Bad choice in my view

So glad it would be a bad choice for you, and thank you for your negative opinion.

Some of us are not interested in muddy anchorages and would rather journey further afield to places we actually like going to.