Time for me to get another boat!

BruceK

Visit site
Not only berthing costs but fuel costs. I was quite surprised during last year's cruise how much more a Princess V40 (39?) on KAD44's used compared to my Formula 34 on KAD42's. I appreciate he had much smaller tanks than me (Formula designed around petrol engines so I presume that has a part to play in my having bigger tanks) but I suspect his consumption was closer to 50% more than 33% and struggled with range.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I'm not quite convinced the cost for running a T34 is the same as a T40 (berthing costs will be quite different for example) but I'm open minded regarding cheaper T40's.

Pete if you are seriously considering keeping the boat in San Carles and making regular jaunts across to the Balearics, thats a significant open sea passage and you're going to feel a lot more comfortable doing that in a 40 footer

Portofino

Visit site
I would not fork out near £100 k for an outdrive T34
When you can get an awful lot more bang for your buck ( € actually ) with this
http://en.yacht4web.com/Fairline/squadron-50/61295/brochure?k=adv

Proper Aircon a chiller somewhare can see pumps in the tidy E room -- so quiet when on --makes a difference .
Proper floating appartment if have extended stays be in in the home berth or when anchored in a free bay ( with a Geny and plenty of fridge space ,wash machine as well ! and a tender ) visiting the Baldricks ?
You could Pootle D Speed 9 -10 knts. If the fuel burn becomes an issue .

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Pete if you are seriously considering keeping the boat in San Carles and making regular jaunts across to the Balearics, thats a significant open sea passage and you're going to feel a lot more comfortable doing that in a 40 footer

No, that's not the plan. I'd relocate pretty soon to Mallorca. The T34's that we rejected in PP were on berths costing €6k a year. Try getting something that cheap for a 40 footer!

petem

I would not fork out near £100 k for an outdrive T34
When you can get an awful lot more bang for your buck ( € actually ) with this
http://en.yacht4web.com/Fairline/squadron-50/61295/brochure?k=adv

Proper Aircon a chiller somewhare can see pumps in the tidy E room -- so quiet when on --makes a difference .
Proper floating appartment if have extended stays be in in the home berth or when anchored in a free bay ( with a Geny and plenty of fridge space ,wash machine as well ! and a tender ) visiting the Baldricks ?
You could Pootle D Speed 9 -10 knts. If the fuel burn becomes an issue .

Yeah but my wife would divorce me if I bought that.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

No, that's not the plan. I'd relocate pretty soon to Mallorca. The T34's that we rejected in PP were on berths costing €6k a year. Try getting something that cheap for a 40 footer!

Ah OK I misunderstood. I thought the plan was to berth in SC. Yes then I can understand why a 34 footer would be attractive because effectively you'd be using it as a dayboat. And yes berthing costs in Majorca have got a bit eyewatering in recent years so it makes sense to stay with a 34 footer. Btw does a T34 definitely get on to a 10m berth because it would be a bit of bugger to buy a T34 to find that you had to pay for a 12m or 15m berth because it is a couple of feet longer than 10m?

BruceK

Visit site
The cost of the fuel burn itself was not a show stopper it's the range and the rule of thirds. Even pushing it close to half gave the V40 an effective range of ~100 nm from base if used sensibly. Plenty for week ending but limiting in cruising if by nothing else filling up at every stop for peace of mind which often meant having to stop (overnight) because of the vagaries of availability, times etc. Of course 100nm may be plenty for Peter's needs, but range is something that should be taken into consideration if cruising is on the agenda.

BruceK

Visit site
Ah OK I misunderstood. I thought the plan was to berth in SC. Yes then I can understand why a 34 footer would be attractive because effectively you'd be using it as a dayboat. And yes berthing costs in Majorca have got a bit eyewatering in recent years so it makes sense to stay with a 34 footer. Btw does a T34 definitely get on to a 10m berth because it would be a bit of bugger to buy a T34 to find that you had to pay for a 12m or 15m berth because it is a couple of feet longer than 10m?

aka my beak adds 3 feet

petem

Mike, that's a difficult question to answer as every Mallorca marina is different in terms of what they will allow by way of length and beam tolerances and what their pricing bands are. What I have learned is that finding a Mallorca berth is not a 'desk based task'. You need to get out there, at the right time, and see if you can strike a decent deal.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Mike, that's a difficult question to answer as every Mallorca marina is different in terms of what they will allow by way of length and beam tolerances and what their pricing bands are. What I have learned is that finding a Mallorca berth is not a 'desk based task'. You need to get out there, at the right time, and see if you can strike a decent deal.

Its the same in many areas of the W Med. Too many boats, too few berths

jrudge

Visit site

There is generally ( read always ) nil tolerance in width which must include half your fenders ( you alternate fenders with your neighbour. Length is part down to the marina and part down to does your neighbour complain you are so long he can't get in or out

julians

Visit site
Port adriano ( where i keep my boat)in mallorca allows 10% over on the length,but absolutely nothing on the width,and the width needs to include half fenders.

Adriano also appears to be eye wateringly expensive.

petem

There is generally ( read always ) nil tolerance in width which must include half your fenders ( you alternate fenders with your neighbour. Length is part down to the marina and part down to does your neighbour complain you are so long he can't get in or out

And Fairlines are narrowish boats AFAIK so beam is rarely an issue. Hence it's all down to the tolerance of length. and CdO has no tolerance at all for rentals (or none that the marina owner was prepared to give me)! But, as I've said before, Portals, for example, allow a T38 on a 10M berth (but not a P40 or a T40).

petem

Thanks everyone for their comments. Things have moved on a little in the last day. A Targa 34 that my partner have made a bid on has now been accepted (it was originally rejected). I don't want to say too much about the boat but it is a Mk2 T34 with KAD44's. It has no A/C or holding tank. I'm not convinced we need a holding tank for the use that we'll be making of the boat but we will definitely need A/C or SWMBO won't go on board.

Has anyone got any experience of fitting A/C to a T34 or similar? If so,

1) Assuming a single unit to cool the fore cabin with an outlet to the saloon, how many BTU's are required?
2) I believe the usual fitting position is the forward berth in the aft cabin.
3) The price I was quoted a couple of years ago was Labour €1500.00 + iva & Parts €4,000 + iva. Does that seem reasonable? I guess I need a pump as well?
4) Would something like this - http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/product/508/? In which case, parts purchased in the UK look a bit cheaper than the €4k I was quoted above. Any better / cheaper ideas?
5) I'm guessing the boats needs to be lifted to complete the installation. Is this correct?
6) Does anyone have any A/C units lying around in their shed / garage that are surplus to requirements!?

Pete

Pete

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
At a guess, 16k btu for front cabin and saloon; 9k for mid cabin. Yes you need to lift the boat, for new raw water inlet. Have a search on here for previous discussions about positioning of raw water outlet.

Ps for a boat you're going to use as your holiday apartment I'd suggest you do need a holding tank.

jfm

Visit site
You totally need a holding tank. Other people are sharing those turquoise anchorages with you!

+1 to jimmys comments on airco. You could fit just a single 16k btu/hr for now.

julians

Visit site
You need a holding tank if youre going to be using the loo.

Ok, if all youre going to use it for is number 1's you might get away with it if you put any loo roll somewhere else,but if theres any number 2' you need a tank.

I guess the alternative is ,anytime someone needs a number 2 you haul anchor and travel a few miles offshore- not really viable

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

You totally need a holding tank. Other people are sharing those turquoise anchorages with you!
100% agree. Whilst you might be able to control your own toilet habits, its much more difficult to control the toilet habits of guests especially if they're 8yrs old. In any case AFAIK there are laws in many Med countries prohibiting discharge of waste in ports and anchorages and I have seen a boat in Porto Colom in Majorca nabbed by a Guardia Civil RIB for doing just that.

Congratulations Pete btw. Lets hope this is the one