Time for me to get another boat!

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Pete is a Fairline man

Cut him and he bleeds squadron tartan

I have a 335 SC from 1999 it is basically a 345 without the bathing platform, though myn has also that. The engine room of my boat has even more space to that of a neighboring 39 Targa (fabolous boat for me this is most beautiful boat Fline ever made).
And my ER has also a Genny and the Opacmare hydraulic pump.
Engineering wise I would say a Gobbi is better to Fairline's of the time, what an FL will do better is handle seas with more speeds versus my flatter medium Vee of 15 degrees aft to 18 (34) or the 21 deg of the 37.
It is fair to say though that a 335 or a 345 has a beam hull 12 ft and is longer then an equivalent 34 and just the same of a 37 Targa if 345 in LOA.

Returning to Princess or Flines men what I have always been surprised is when you manage to convert them to go to other boats most people 9/10 will not return to a Fline/Princ/Squeaker etc

But anyways Fairlines are very good boats, and I actually nearly bought a 34 Targa myself.
But the previous Gobbi 27 Sport (nearly bought an older 33T instead of this as well) gave me 14 years of good service and the spec of the 335 although older to the 34T I was seeing was filled with options I really would have liked to have.

Last edited:

stelican

Visit site
Yes the T 39 certainly takes some beating except the green ones! and of course the Cranchi Med 40 if you talking all time best.
Quite agree about the engineering on the Gobbi but does not seem to matter to a lot of people.
Fairlines had a reputation of being built like tanks go through anything!
Love the Gobbi 27 great weekender

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Yes the T 39 certainly takes some beating except the green ones! and of course the Cranchi Med 40 if you talking all time best.
Quite agree about the engineering on the Gobbi but does not seem to matter to a lot of people.
Fairlines had a reputation of being built like tanks go through anything!
Love the Gobbi 27 great weekender

I did a couple 500 nautical miles trip with the 27 Sport and she would take quite big seas with pride for its size. The trick of Gobbis with the extended planes of the nineties is not to over do it. But the advantage is that they go on the plane at about 13/14 knots which is quite handy in agitated waters and give stability. She is in reality a 30 foot boat with a rather large waterline length at nearly 23 feet which helps in bad weather. She was also a very dry boat, Force 4 to 5 Malta to Capo Passero in 2 - 3 meters holes on the side and we only got wet twice with 3 meters plus holes. I was also lucky to have one of the two build (that is what Gobbi told me in 1997) with Volvo 41s 200hp diesel.
She was not a speed demon I touched max 34 knots in very light weight (but my props 16s where always a bit small) revving an extra 200 rpm (4000), but Gobbi told me that the larger size would not give nice performance at lower revs and would rev to 3600 with a clean bump. I never tried it to find out if there figures where correct, still as at today I regret it. But spending over 1k for an experiment is high risk. I prefer spending that on fuel to run around ;)

stelican

Visit site
I did a couple 500 nautical miles trip with the 27 Sport and she would take quite big seas with pride for its size. The trick of Gobbis with the extended planes of the nineties is not to over do it. But the advantage is that they go on the plane at about 13/14 knots which is quite handy in agitated waters and give stability. She is in reality a 30 foot boat with a rather large waterline length at nearly 23 feet which helps in bad weather. She was also a very dry boat, Force 4 to 5 Malta to Capo Passero in 2 - 3 meters holes on the side and we only got wet twice with 3 meters plus holes. I was also lucky to have one of the two build (that is what Gobbi told me in 1997) with Volvo 41s 200hp diesel.
She was not a speed demon I touched max 34 knots in very light weight (but my props 16s where always a bit small) revving an extra 200 rpm (4000), but Gobbi told me that the larger size would not give nice performance at lower revs and would rev to 3600 with a clean bump. I never tried it to find out if there figures where correct, still as at today I regret it. But spending over 1k for an experiment is high risk. I prefer spending that on fuel to run around ;)

Thank you for the interesting reply and also interested to hear that your boat had the lift for the 41 motors, Deadrise I suppose

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Thanks Andy.

I know the this is a bit of a boring question, but is there a preferred contract to use for a boat purchase? Ideally one that requires the minimum deposit and allows me to walk away with deposit returned in the event that I don't like the survey results?

Also, is oil sampling necessary for 15 year old KAD32's?

Pete

Whitelighter

Visit site
Don't pay any deposit - seatrial at at your cost (fuel, skipper, engineer).

If the seatrial is good pay for boat. If it's not good negotiate or walk.

There is no contract that will guarantee your deposit back be suss if they keep it are you going to court in a foreign country for a few thousand?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Don't pay any deposit - seatrial at at your cost (fuel, skipper, engineer).

If the seatrial is good pay for boat. If it's not good negotiate or walk.

There is no contract that will guarantee your deposit back be suss if they keep it are you going to court in a foreign country for a few thousand?

Thanks Jez, was thinking along those lines.

Pete

AllanG

Visit site
Would be interesed in an engineers opinion of whether oil sampling / worthwhile necessary for 15 year old KAD32's?

IMHO, as a retired MN Marine Chief Engineer, oil sampling is only really useful if it has been done on a regular basis, preferably from when the engines are commissioned, and you have previous reports to compare to, because if the owner had recently changed the oils before your samples were taken, then the results would not show the 'true' condition of the engine.

If, however, the oils haven't been changed, and you know the exact hours the engine has run since the oil change, then sampling may give you a 'snapshot' of the engine condition at that particular moment but, as I said previously, you have nothing to compare these results with.

Last edited: