Time for me to get another boat!

jfm

Visit site
Makes sense. I think if you bought the boat in spain then for sure it wouldn't make sense to truck the boat to UK for just the works you have listed. I'd expect labour rates slightly lower in spain, so source the hardware here in UK and get Spanish labour. I guess the SCM team on here will know good/bad workers too

As regards cost of airco, as you know you also have to consider whether you need a genset or can live without (ie airco only with shore power)

On a slightly differing note but still on topic I hope, T30 and SCM strikes me as odd combo. There are benefits of SCM including nice yard, nice marina staff, clubhouse/pool, etc. But local cruising grounds are not its strong card. OK for Hurricane as he can zoom off to Sardinia/Balearics etc, but in T30 you would be heavily limited by weather if you wanted to do say Balearics cruising. So imho it is worthwhile parking the boat local to the nicest cruising grounds

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Imo everything on your list is but a trifling detail and a distraction from the main event. Just find the boat and worry about this stuff later :encouragement:
+1.
All the best for your search, and keep us posted!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
On a slightly differing note but still on topic I hope, T30 and SCM strikes me as odd combo. There are benefits of SCM including nice yard, nice marina staff, clubhouse/pool, etc. But local cruising grounds are not its strong card. OK for Hurricane as he can zoom off to Sardinia/Balearics etc, but in T30 you would be heavily limited by weather if you wanted to do say Balearics cruising. So imho it is worthwhile parking the boat local to the nicest cruising grounds

You can't lure me to Antibes that easily (unless there's a berth going free for the summer)!

Targa 30 has a range of around 250-300 miles IIRC correctly and at 30 knots the Baldricks would be a 3.5-4 hours ish crossing (I think). I agree, this is only just doable in a 30 footer and certainly very sensitive to weather conditions.

In defense of SCM, SWMBO likes the look of the club house and especially the pool. And we do like Spain. Furthermore, I think the local cruising grounds and maybe 50 miles in each direction is plenty to keep us interested for a summer or two. And at the end of the day, flights and berths are cheap (possibly <£2k per annum) and of course there will be loads of other forumites over there.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

In defense of SCM, SWMBO likes the look of the club house and especially the pool. And we do like Spain. Furthermore, I think the local cruising grounds and maybe 50 miles in each direction is plenty to keep us interested for a summer or two. And at the end of the day, flights and berths are cheap (possibly <£2k per annum) and of course there will be loads of other forumites over there.
Pete I think jfm has a point. That run to the Baldricks from SCM is not to be taken lightly in a 30 footer. If cost is a major consideration and purely FWIW, Carloforte will be just as cheap but has a nicer cruising area on the doorstep. In your position I'd be thinking about basing the boat in Palma. Plenty of places to go in a 30 footer and loads of flights every day

Whitelighter

Visit site
I can see Pete's point. Don't forget he has to sell the idea to SWMBO. SCM has the pool and clubhouse and the lagoon so actually many berth holders don't go anywhere.

Plus there are lots of known people out there, so community is good and im sure baldricks trips could easily be done in company. though if he thinks ill be going at 20knts hes mistaken!

jfm

Visit site
Cala D'Or has pool + clubhouse plus the equivalent of the lagoon in the form of Cala Gran (I mean, a place you can go to without going out to sea proper), and it is right on the doorstep (I mean<10 miles) of loads of beautiful anchorages. It would be a great place to keep a 30 footer imho.

I'll post some cala gran pics shortly when I do a Balearics cruising thread

petem

I can see Pete's point. Don't forget he has to sell the idea to SWMBO. SCM has the pool and clubhouse and the lagoon so actually many berth holders don't go anywhere.

Plus there are lots of known people out there, so community is good and im sure baldricks trips could easily be done in company. though if he thinks ill be going at 20knts hes mistaken!

Not 20knts Jez, I'd be looking at 30knts if not 35knts. Have a late (full English) brekky and be there for lunch :). I'll be having none of that pootling malarky.

Problem with Cala D'Or is it a bit of a hike from the airport (but no worse than SCM I suppose). Palma would be good but pricier and not sure about a club house pool.

Another question.... would you get away with parking a 9.5M LOA 3.1M Beam boat on a 9x3M berth? Do marinas have a tolerance? If so, Real Club Náutico would be <£3k p.a. so an option.

John100156

Visit site
We arrived in SCM Sept-2008 and within a couple of days SWMBO and me took our Targa 34 over to Mallorca. We did have a bumpy run over though, despite a good weather forecast. So if you're going alone make sure, as best you ever can, its flat.

Soller is around 110NM and Andaritx just under that, so both easily in reach - or you could run down to Denia/Ibiza then hop across.

Although its fair to say the coastline is a little dull around SCM, I never tire of the run down south passing Peniscola, Las Fuentes and onto Valencia.

Boats go over to the Baldricks frequently as you know from Hurric's posts so you can usually go in convoy for added safety if the crew are not confident.

If you're still working, as I am, the lagoon outside SCM is great especially for taking guests/kids out for a short run. Its a quaint, easy and secure place to berth with good facilities so an excellent first step before going to more exciting/busy/expensive marinas in the Med.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Palma would be good but pricier and not sure about a club house pool.
Club de Mar has 2 pools now, one for adults and one for kids plus a bar, restaurant, mini market and chandlery on site plus during the high season, at least when we there, a stunning blonde who would come and pick you up from your berth in a Lexus SUV. Everything you need to sustain your boating life:D

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Another question.... would you get away with parking a 9.5M LOA 3.1M Beam boat on a 9x3M berth? Do marinas have a tolerance? If so, Real Club Náutico would be <£3k p.a. so an option.

The loa's almost certainly fine, but I'd be surprised if you got away with the beam. It'll depend on the specific betth, and your neighbours. I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

julians

Visit site
The loa's almost certainly fine, but I'd be surprised if you got away with the beam. It'll depend on the specific betth, and your neighbours. I certainly wouldn't bank on it.
The marina im in (port adriano in mallorca) allows 10% over on the length, but nothing on the width.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

It also depends on the specific marina. When I was in Club de Mar in Palma I was on a 15 x 4.5m berth with a 15 x 4.6m boat. I think in the SoF where the marinas are older and originally designed for smaller boats, they are a lot tougher on beam. Really Pete should talk directly to individual marinas and I'm sure he'd find one that would do a deal

Visit site
Not 20knts Jez, I'd be looking at 30knts if not 35knts. Have a late (full English) brekky and be there for lunch :). I'll be having none of that pootling malarky.

+1, when are we going??

petem

I came across this pic in my boat search. Its allegedly a generator but looks rather Heath Robinson / Happy1 to me. Appears to have its own fuel supply (petrol presumably).

autoimage-211474_2abee4a3c02265a53f4f9ebecda4510e.jpg

I understand that a fully integrated proper installation would be £10k or so.

Is there something that's in between the two that could perhaps drive a small aircon unit and maybe a socket or two?

Pete

benjenbav

Visit site
I saw this baby on a boat recently. All the power you're ever going to need and the towhitch makes it really portable:

Genset_zpshmtnhuai.jpg
:D

John100156

Visit site
I came across this pic in my boat search. Its allegedly a generator but looks rather Heath Robinson / Happy1 to me. Appears to have its own fuel supply (petrol presumably).....Is there something that's in between the two that could perhaps drive a small aircon unit and maybe a socket or two?
Pete

When I first had my T34 in SCM I used a Honda 2.0i petrol generator which I kept below and dropped onto the bathing platform when on the hook. Just plugged a waterproof 13A plug into it and at the other end of the lead a Marinco plug into the boats shore power socket. It was reasonably quiet and worked really well, but not the most elegant solution.... just need to be careful to direct the exhaust in the right direction!

Hurricane

Visit site
Club de Mar has 2 pools now, one for adults and one for kids plus a bar, restaurant, mini market and chandlery on site plus during the high season, at least when we there, a stunning blonde who would come and pick you up from your berth in a Lexus SUV. Everything you need to sustain your boating life:D

Sorry Mike, you can't compare Sant Carles to Palma.
They are entirely different
Palma is a busy city with all the night life you can imagjne - in fact, we spent last night in Arenal - even more night life - Magaluf is a pussy cat in comparason.
On the other hand, Sant Carles is a quiet family "very" Spanish resort.
There is just no comparason.
As far as local cruising is concerned, the lagoon at SC is very under rated.
You can pop out in virtually any condutions - less than 1.5 miles from the marina and have a great time.
We are just finishing two weeks around Palma bay.
Weather watching all the time.
Easterly winds so we go to Santa Ponsa (where we are now in fact) - then westerly winds so off to Palmanova.
Backwards and forwards all the time.

Finally, you have to remember that SC is probably the cheapest place to keep a boat.
You can easily run a boat in SC for less than half the cost in the UK - and you get the sun as a bonus.
And remember that price is a major consideration for lots of boaters.
In the first year, you probably wouldn't want to go anywhere other than the lagoon (two great restaurants on stilts in the lagoon as well).

Last edited:

stelican

Visit site
You will not get a generator in a T30 engine bay,
You should go for a T34 if you want genny and then it would have to be a factory fit as they split the fuel tank to get the space.
Also look at Gobbi 345 very roomy med boat