Time for me to get another boat!

jfm

Visit site
Thanks JFM and others. Not ready to buy yet but this is the sort of thing I'm after...

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2001/Fairline-Targa-34-2837688/Italy#.Va1Nm6RViko

2001, KAD44, bow thruster, Onan genny, aircon, holding tank, blue galley / bog and teak cockpit.

A little high on hours @1100 but otherwise looks well looked after (the one thing I like seeing in any photo are moisture magnets or dehumidifier).

Pete
that boat looks the best condition on the market Pete. Photographed in an indoor winter shed. Make an offer. You could spend years looking for one so well looked after

Greg2

Visit site
that boat looks the best condition on the market Pete. Photographed in an indoor winter shed. Make an offer. You could spend years looking for one so well looked after

+1
Already on at a very good price and it appears to have been well looked after.
As SWMBO so eloquently puts it , "You're a long time looking at the lid" :)

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Alas, if only life was that simple. Unfortunately I have a delicate domestic issue that needs resolving before I do anything. A shame because the monthly interest payments on it wouldn't be much more than a decent meal out for two.

So if anyone fancies a punt at that Targa feel free.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Alas, if only life was that simple. Unfortunately I have a delicate domestic issue that needs resolving before I do anything. A shame because the monthly interest payments on it wouldn't be much more than a decent meal out for two.

So if anyone fancies a punt at that Targa feel free.
I understand Pete but it is a shame because this one looks fab and 1100hrs is not a lot for a boat of that age. Boats from the N Adriatic tend to be looked after well as there are a lot of yards in that area with excellent ship building and marine engineering skills. I used to winter our boat in the same area. Also FWIW and strictly IMHO, I reckon the Euro is as weak as its going to get at the moment

Questor

Visit site
Looks like a very good package indeed to me. Everything you want for, after a bit of haggling, £50 something K.

I feel you may end up kicking yourself if you don't follow this one up. You only live once.

MapisM

Visit site
Boats from the N Adriatic tend to be looked after well as there are a lot of yards in that area with excellent ship building and marine engineering skills.
+1, fwiw.
And it's also shown in one of the pics, btw: the passerelle installation (which is obviously a retrofit) looks pretty solid, with that custom made steel plate attachment.
Anyway, all the best P for the hunting!

petem

Looks like a very good package indeed to me. Everything you want for, after a bit of haggling, £50 something K.

I feel you may end up kicking yourself if you don't follow this one up. You only live once.

Its got Autopilot too. In fact the only things that look like requiring work are the carpets and perhaps getting rid / replacing the brass barometer and other clutter in the galley.

Also what's going on here?

5073701_20150429044226571_1_XLARGE.jpg

IF I were to have a look I think there are direct flights to Trieste.

I think I'd then get it trucked across to Genoa and go west on its own bum. Anyone got a spare SofF berth for the summer?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Also what's going on here?
Looks like the old Italian reg nos have been taken off and left a mark on the gelcoat. Not a big deal

I were to have a look I think there are direct flights to Trieste
Yup Ryanair. Its actually called Friuli Venezia Giulia airport and in typical Ryanair fashion its nowhere near Trieste

I think I'd then get it trucked across to Genoa and go west on its own bum. Anyone got a spare SofF berth for the summer?
You could actually get this boat back to the UK quite easily if you wanted by trucking it from Portoroz in Slovenia

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Thanks Mike.

Next question, I have a very old ICC / Day Skipper that I've never renewed. Can the ICC be renewed now

Yes it can because I've just looked at doing so myself recently but I didn't bother because they want all sorts of stupid stuff like utility bills and the like. I've had a Yachtmaster qualification for over 20yrs and nobody has ever bothered to ask to look it at since so I suspect nobody is going to ask for your ICC. On the other hand, if you've got the patience to fill out the form and send them the documents they want then its probably worth doing

MYAG

Visit site
Thanks Mike.

Next question, I have a very old ICC / Day Skipper that I've never renewed. Can the ICC be renewed now or do I have to do the course again?

Blimey Pete ICC renewal? looks like you're weakening.....Good man! :):)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

...... which will lead to the clear and unquestionable conclusion that it would be foolhardy not to buy it! :)

Ah thats the beauty of man maths. It always gives you the result you want:D

petem

Unfortunately I've been slightly hampered by a sensitive domestic issue but hope to start taking a look at some boats soon. To dip our toes back in the water we might go back to a T30 for a year (kept at Sant Carles) and take it from there. some questions for today....

1) What would be the cost of retro-fitting aircon?
2) What would be the cost of retro-fitting auto helm?
3) What would be the cost of retro-fitting holding tank?
4) What would be the cost of retro-fitting bow thruster?

Regarding interiors, I suspect that some boats will be starting to look a bit tired. Can anyone remember what fabrics were used on early 2000 Fairlines for the interior linings? I think there was a textured cream vinyl one on the walls and a faux suede for the headboard panels?

Regarding carpets, I think they were custom made for Fairline. I like the textured / ribbed ones and wonder if a carpet from Crucial Trading might be a good alternative? Or do F'line have an off the shelf manufacturer nowadays that I could buy from?

Regarding seat coverings, I'd like to keep the OEM look but bring the boat up to date. I know everyone has leather these days but I actually like patterned cloth. Is that a naff choice? Do F'line still fit boats with cloth interiors? Any ideas for suitable suppliers?

Cheers, Pete

jfm

Visit site
1. One unit would be £1500k in hardware plus installation and a lift out (unless you find a spare seacock)
2. About £1800 for the hardware incl pump
3. I'd guess £1000 for the hardware if custom tank size, and half that id off-shelf tank can be fitted
4. Elessar well placed to comment but £3k say

Boyriven will point you to the fabrcs as they supplied many. Tockfield is alternative. Once you have the boat these are easy to match and don't need to be perfect oem matches imo. Novasuede/alacantara type fabrics (used on headboard, for example) are widely available online

Carpets were custom made by Ege but you can buy the same Ege in slightly different colours. The oem carpet people are Headlandcarpets.co.uk in Irthlingborough

Patterned cloth sounds a naff alert in my head - be careful :). I mean, those old tartans are just not right these days. Fairline (and Prin Seek) do cloth to order - I specced plenty of cloth instead of leather on my last 2 boats and A+K on here ordered a targa 47 with cloth instead of leather. I'd just go to a good fabric supplier and choose your own. If you give an idea of what you want in due course I can make suggestions because I spent hours on this (and at Chelsea harbour design centre) for my current boat

Imo everything on your list is but a trifling detail and a distraction from the main event. Just find the boat and worry about this stuff later :encouragement:

petem

Thanks JFM, point taken about getting on with it :). Will check your links later (I'd already had a look at Tockfield but the fabrics on their site are definitely of the caravan ilk).

But for me, this research is half the fun and on a more serious point, knowing the cost of the retrofits might influence what a particular boat is worth to me (it all adds up!).

I quite like the tartans but completely agree they're dated and would have to go.

I also need to consider the economics of getting work done here (a la JTB) as opposed to Spain. Its not rocket science so my instinct is to source parts and materials here and get them fitted in Spain. Surely labour costs can't be dearer in Spain?

Pete