tidal stream atlases - onoline anywhere?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Wind is pretty strong today but dying down overnight. Def the right move to go wind with tide otherwise it wd be raf.
Have a good trip, should be a bit warmer where yr heading;-)

Kawasaki

Visit site
Wasn,t going on about the tide or timing.
Don,t didn,t have the info at hand to comment.

It appeared to Me that there was a lack of confidence, or should say a lacking of confidence in the 'Skipper'.
That was the point of My post

tcm

Visit site
Good stuff. I quite enjoyed the fact that jfm's pasage plan post ran straight into some legal mud. Also that bjb is doing something useful seeing as how i'm not, cos i'm having a planter's punch (again)

RogerRat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kwackers is right. Time to leave is high water, makes the sands and estuary safer plus you'll have the ebb all the way west.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he's not! As JFM has posted he'd rather have wind and tide together. He doesn't want all that nice Fairline crockery smashed to bits in the drawers! His/your solution gives them wind over tide!

As JFM has again said the skipper knowes the estuary so no problem.

We do that route often so if it had been us, we would have gone up the night before and left about the same time based on the info posted by JFM.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Well that told me you miserable ol' wotsit. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was talking tide only and of course I agree with the wind over tide argument, but I would prefer to wait and go when the weather is nice, delivery skippers wouldn't or couldn't. The weather is changing all the time and it won't be long 'til there's a light Northerly Something wind off a High.

JFM, I know what you mean about the new Ray' gear, I had the RL before too. It's virtually the same, move cursor to a nearby 'T' or 'C' and press 'OK' on the bottom of the screen you'll have the option to, 'animate' and then you can watch the set move in time or just move hour by hour. You should be able to work it out in two mins flat without the need of a safety net or manual. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hurricane

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Roger, I know the E120 has all that tide gizmo and I have platinum plus chart chips in there, but to be honest I'm not 100% up to speed in using all those featuires having had the previous Raymarine gear on my last boat. So I'll be working from first principles!

[/ QUOTE ]
Like you and Roger I came from the old RL series of kit straight into the new G Series.
I dont think there is much difference in operation between the G and E and even the C Series come to that.

Actually all the Raymarine kit is quite intuative once you've worked out the soft keys but I have one little warning. We had just had the handover party over a bank holiday weekend and were due to set off on our main delivery trip to Guernsey. I thought I'd read the G Series manuals and familurise myself with its operation the evening before we left. I opened the printed manuals only to find that they were just installation notes and the CD containing the full manuals fell out. No PC to hand at the time so we just had to press buttons to see what happened. To a certain extent, Raymarine get full marks for intuativity in that we were able to manage the system without the manuals but it would have been nice to have had a printed book to read.

So check that you have something to read if you want to fiddle en-route.

jfm

Visit site
Ah, had a technical glitch that we decided was better fixed at Essex, so we didn't do the trip yesterday (wednesday). Pity, cos the weahter would have been fab. We are doing the trip tomorrow, and i think the weather is ok but will check now

Roger, ref delivery skippers and waiting till better weahter, the boat is booked to be loaded onto a freight ship in Southampton, this Saturday. That's what's driving the timetable. So, provided it's not actually unsafe, we're doing the trip tomorrow come hell or high (low) water :)

So I'll be in Ocean Village tomorrow (Friday) evening plus Saturday morning, twiddling my thumbs. If anyone is around then, drop by for a coffee.

Coupe

Visit site
Hi JFM,

Just back from a weeks sunshine and catching up with the forum news.

All the best with the delivery and as said above "don't forget the camera".

Regards,
Mick.

rickp

Visit site
Ah well, fingers crossed for attempt no 2. Looks like the weather gods really are smiling on you! Should be a good run /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

peterandjeanette

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So I'll be in Ocean Village tomorrow (Friday) evening plus Saturday morning, twiddling my thumbs. If anyone is around then, drop by for a coffee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dropped "Suprendo" back in the water yesterday - Wednesday - Fantastic day. Took her back to Ocean Village - K17. Will be back on board Friday evening for drinks or Saturday morning for coffee. SWMBO goes off into town shopping. Will look you up - or you can visit me.
Would appreciate a chat about S of F.
Peter

jfm

Visit site
Well, that was an easy delivery trip (leg 1) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Peter, feel free to drop round. I'm halfway along A quay. Busy for next hour but doing nothing tonight at about 7 ish, and have a busy lunchtime tomorrow but otherwise free. AML, ref your PM, likewise drop by tonight if you wish (when it gets dark!) to see the lights. Otherwise tomorrow night - we load onto ship sunday am

Back to delivery trip. I must have got the same weahter gods as Hurricane. Here is leaving Essexboatyards 5.45am this morning
IMG_2487.jpg

Then along the river crouch, eastbound
IMG_2494.jpg

Then out into Thames estuary. We were on very low tide so we headed east out to West Sunk, before turning South. If we'd turned south sooner we'd have stuffed into a sandbank somewhere
IMG_2509.jpg

We passed this - a Trinity House buoy ship, I think
IMG_2503.jpg

Then more very light seas, a bit of fog, and Beachy head
IMG_2513.jpg

And much sooner than I expected we entered southampton Water
IMG_2516.jpg

You pass some ugly ships here - this is the bow
IMG_2518.jpg

Forum boat Motala, as we entered ocean village
IMG_2520.jpg

All tied up in OV. Easy Peasy. Boat ran beautifully, all working fine and smooth. 198nm, 302 gallons of fuel used, 26 knots the whole way. Being loaded onto ship sunday morning. All good stuff :)
IMG_2522.jpg

rickp

Visit site
Mmmm, you're doing well with the weather - thanks for the pics and writeup. Glad the trip went smoothly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jfm

Visit site
Trip took about8 hours I think, incl the slow bit at each end. Name is Braveheart of Antibes. I didn't have time to change name of old boat and do all that carving and marking stuff so I left the old name on the old boat!

Sitting ere in sunny OV. Lovely day, though breezy. Saw Wiggo go out and had pleasure of meeting Peter as in PeterandJeannette this morning

The ship loadmaster chap has just called and we are loading earlier than planned, this afternoon. So I can't meet you for a drink Peter tonight, and aml/alex you can;t come round to see the u/w lights becuase I wont be here - see you at antibes show instead I hope?

MapisM

Visit site
Nice report and pics J, thanks for sharing them.
And gorgeous boat indeed, but wasn't it possible to place the sat dome elsewhere?
Call me picky, but I really don't like it up there.
Another few feets and you could have wired the cable directly to the sat... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS: What's the weird small ship in the first pic?