tidal stream atlases - onoline anywhere?

jfm

Visit site
Anyone know if there are online tidal stream diagrams for English Channel? I can't find on google - they all want to sell paper books

Alternatively, can anyone just tell me please, if you set off from Dover at LW and plod to Southampton by about HW, which way is the tide stream going on the trip?

Thanks!

jfm

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Rickp has v helpfully sent me scans of the atlases - thanks Rick. Yup, foul tide is what I want, cos the wind is F4-5 westerly and I'd rather have wind-with-tide and just turn up the gas to overcome a few knots of foul current.

Reason for Q is I'm tagging along as passenger on the first leg of the deliv of my boat, which is from Essex to Southampton, Wednesday this week praps. LW Dover is 6.30am and deliv skipper wants to set off 5.30am, eek. :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
For dive planning in the Northsee from the Belgium coast, I use this site
http://www.mumm.ac.be/EN/Models/Operational/Currents/series.php
very interesting and accurate info on tidal current, waves, etc...
but positions are probably too far east for your trip

You can also look in your Raymarine plotter,
current tables on many positions are included in the charts

perhaps by googling for dive centers in the area you might find some more usefull links

have a nice trip!

Doghousekeeper

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Rickp has v helpfully sent me scans of the atlases - thanks Rick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed they were copyright /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hurricane

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Reason for Q is I'm tagging along as passenger on the first leg of the deliv of my boat

[/ QUOTE ]
Just sit back and enjoy - we did the same from Plymouth to Swanwick almost exactly a year ago. Its great to let someone else take the responsibility but you can also keep your beady eye on how they care for her.

Have fun and as other say, please take some pics - we'd love to share your experience in a post later.

jfm

Visit site
Thanks Mike. Yep looking forward to it. I definitely want them to deliver it - I haven't done any homework on all that Thames estuary stuff/Goodwin sands malarkey, so I'd be aground or hit a windmill in the first 5 minutes, whereas the deliv skipper knows it like back of his hand. And I need them to deliver it to France as part of the techy/VAT stuff. So I'll technically be a passenger, but enjoy the ride, and get a shakedown trip with an experienced boat fixer (the deliv captian on boats this size is also the chief boat fixer/shipwright, so very convenient. Besides, I still haven't finished all my "refit" jobs (though I've done 90% I spose) so I'll do some spannering underway :)

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rickp has v helpfully sent me scans of the atlases - thanks Rick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed they were copyright /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this comment adding value, really?

Cheers
Jimmy

Kawasaki

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
T LW Dover is 6.30am and deliv skipper wants to set off 5.30am, eek. :)

[/ QUOTE ]

You mentioned You are going along for the ride.

It seems You have given this trip more thought than the 'Skipper'.

Do You have confidence in the Chap?

jfm

Visit site
Get real. I have bought zillions of tidal stream atlases (paper) at full price. Now I'm home I have 3 on the shelf, and there is stuff on the boat. I was just stuck in the office with none to hand and Rick P helped. No-one got shortchanged out of any copyright royalties. zzzzzz

RogerRat

Visit site
Kwackers is right. Time to leave is high water, makes the sands and estuary safer plus you'll have the ebb all the way west.

Don't you have an E120 with Platinum on the boat, it'll plot the tide and animate the set for you at all states of tide on request. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifsmug /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Kwackers is right. Time to leave is high water, makes the sands and estuary safer plus you'll have the ebb all the way west.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he's not! As JFM has posted he'd rather have wind and tide together. He doesn't want all that nice Fairline crockery smashed to bits in the drawers! His/your solution gives them wind over tide! Secondly it's been blowing a bit this last few days and the sea will take time to settle down anyway which is why I reckon the delivery skipper has chosen tomorrow.

As JFM has again said the skipper knowes the estuary so no problem.

Boat delivery trips are not a jolly - it's work and I reckon the skipper wants to be back in the same day. It's not short trip and he has to get back up to Essex.

We do that route often so if it had been us, we would have gone up the night before and left about the same time based on the info posted by JFM.

benjenbav

Visit site
Quick look at the charts suggests approx 210 miles or thereabouts - is that about right? Looking at the wind predictions for tomorrow they might have a gentle breeze behind them until they're past the Goodwins and starting to head west. If they can maintain 20 knots once they are out of the Crouch they should be well set to get to Soton on the rising tide tomorrow evening.

jfm

Visit site
Yup, that's the logic we're using David. Skipper is fine on the Goodwin Sands stuff at any state of tide, and we want to not have bang bang wind-against-tide for the 100miles westbound run along the south coast. Hence the plan!

Roger, I know the E120 has all that tide gizmo and I have platinum plus chart chips in there, but to be honest I'm not 100% up to speed in using all those featuires having had the previous Raymarine gear on my last boat. So I'll be working from first principles!

(Incidentally, after this deliv trip there will be a new UK platinum plus cartridge on the For Sale forum, cos I wont have any use for it. Used for one trip only!)

jfm

Visit site
Er blimey, if you're up and about you will indeed. Just look for the underwater multicoloured light show boat :) Our schedule is breakfast 5am, slip lines 5.30 (blimey). I think the boat has been moved to the end of the pontoon ready to go.

Edit - just seen your profile. Is yours the antares that's been in Essex Marina the last few weeks? you're not doing the run back to Brighton tomorrow are you? If you know the way, can we follow you? :) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

benjenbav

Visit site
Hope you have a great trip. Wish it was me. But there's always the consolation of putting in a solid day's graft at the coalface.