Throttle/Gear Control

Ranger

Visit site
OK - boring tecnhnical post!

Has anyone had problems with the neutral button on their engine control lever. Although ours can still be operated, it does not disengage the gear cable so that it is impossible to start in neutral with any revs on. It is still possible to get neutral with the lever vertical and button out, but this is only at tickover.

The button has previously been stiff in operation - WD40 has freed it but with above problem.

It is on a Westerly Tempest and it is virtually impossible to get behind the mechanism to fiddle with it - only about 3" of access room, so can't see what the button should be doing.

Anyone any ideas on how to fix / what the problem is? Or should we just shell out for a new one?

In case someone suggests it, we have also posted on Westerly site.

Any help gratefully received.

<hr width=100% size=1>

frilaens

Visit site
I have no experience of your setup, but I have installed a new control on my boat when I found that the old one was very corroded. The new one came very well greased; WD40 is a penetrating solvent that will dissolve grease; it's a cleaner. After freeing up a seized component with WD40 you would need to re-lubricate it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
if you replace the old one you'll have to get it out, at which point you'll be able to see what's sticking. must be worth taking it out for a look - you'll kick yourself if you shell out upwards of £100 for a new one and find a bit of sandpaper & grease would fix it!

perhaps alos looking for an exploded diagram on the web. is it made by morse?

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
If yours is the Vetus single lever control of the old type (the centre button is a 20mm plastic coated diecasting) you'd be well advised to change it for the more recent model with a smaller (about 10mm) centre release.

The diecasting invariably gets water into it swells and jams. What has probably happened is that you've freed off part of its travel but not enough to disconnect the forward/reverse rocker. If you do increase the travel you'll find it coyly jams in with none of it protruding to get a grip on it, and you can rev your engine but not get it into gear.

The new gear needs a slightly larger cutout and watch out, the centre nut needs considerable tightening on the tapered spline when you've got it into the desired position.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ashanta

Visit site
Is it a Volvo installation? (2002)

I have the Volvo throttle and gear lever (single handle). The problems I experienced were very similar and although, Like you I used WD40 I found that there is a soft plastic coating over the gear control button in the centre of the pivot.

I had to get a sharp pointed knife and clear the plastic which was becoming compressed inside the cylinder of the housing it was supposed to slide in and out freely.
Since my surgery it has operated well but I continue to keep it well lubricated and I know that some time in the future I will need to replace the control lever.

Regards.

Peter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ranger

Visit site
Many thanks for all replies - yes it is a Volvo 2002 installation. The neutral button is small diameter and coppery in colour.

I will have a good look to see if there is any plastic covering in the way, although the button does now seem to go in and out fully as it did before.

Laurence

<hr width=100% size=1>