THOSE OF US WITH BOATS IN THE MED

Coustea1

Visit site
If what happens is like Spain panel boards etc will be out. I suspect you will also need to make a choice of Boat / House as in Spain the only reasons to go out are food etc etc and " visiting mon bateaux" is unlikely to cut it.

Best of luck
I wanted to walk to my marina (Estepona) on Sunday to check the boat before flying back home. I was told by 3 patroling Policia Municipal officers in a very "convincing" way to return home and stay there. The latest news on Saturday evening was that the country would go in lock down from Monday 8am onwards, but Juan and his uniformed mates wouldn't have it - something about watching TV and the prime minister saying quarantine started immediately. The marina is closed, all shops included. I'm not sure about the fuel docks in Puerto Banus or La Duquesa. There were no boats out on Sunday....

Forty_Two

Visit site
Left Cannes ok & now back in La Napoule. Nice trip by myself, no other boats out, just the 1.5m easterly swell, surfed into the port, great fun. Very pleased with my modified port prop & new cutlass bearings. Everybody really worked hard to get me back into the water today. Didn't want to risk being stuck ashore in a wooden boat in the Med heat drying the seams out.

The Capitainerie came out in their dinghy in case I needed assistance berthing, seemed happy enough for me to be out & about. Got several weeks food onboard, a work list longer than I dare admit too so may sit it out.

Be interested to see what Macron has to say tonight.

AndieMac

Visit site
Welcome to the club, M. :)
Just curious, when you say "Not sure what we are going to do", do you mean that you actually have a choice?
I'm asking because here in Italy you wouldn't.
I mean, we are not allowed to go anywhere (also within Sardinia, not just to/from mainland!), unless for specific and rather limited urgent reasons...
I was wondering where you were going to sit this out, had a feeling it was going to be the boat. All the best to you both!

Seastoke

Visit site
Less cargo = higher prices? That sounds counter intuitive especially for sea freight

But yes of course the cheaper option would probably be to charter a boat in the UK for a couple of weeks to get a boating fix (assuming the UK doesnt shut down as well)
Mike you are welcome to join me and swmbo on our four plus 2 and our 2 great danes , for a couple of weeks ,the only thing you would have to do would be raise the union jack at sunrise and lower it at sunset .

Hurricane

Visit site
As I said above, I'm on the boat at the moment.
Yesterday, I took the car out to get some fuel - no problem - the local petrol station had plenty and nobody complained.
This morning, we went to the local Mercadona supermarket - very well organised.
There was a policeman at the door making sure that there was a 6 foot separation between people entering and the supermarket staff opened fresh cashout lanes as the demand increased.
Plenty of stock on the shelves even though it was a bit short.

So, I am here for the duration.
The plan was to be here for about 3 weeks and do some work to the boat.
Brittany Ferries cancelled our return trip but I have booked another a week later.
But lots can happen between then and now.

Actually, it is quite nice - being here without any fuss - the only problem today and tomorrow is the carp weather!!!
Wednesday should be nice again though so will be able to get on with some outside work.
Tomorrow it is carpet cleaning!!!

But I would rather be here than at home in the UK where a similar lock down is happening/inevitable.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
We were meant to be flying to Valencia tomorrow to spend a couple of weeks on our new boat (my girlfriend is yet to see it). Decided to cancel a few days ago as we didn't want to end up stuck there. All very annoying but I hope it all blows over in the next couple of months, let's hope for the best

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Mike you are welcome to join me and swmbo on our four plus 2 and our 2 great danes , for a couple of weeks ,the only thing you would have to do would be raise the union jack at sunrise and lower it at sunset .

Thanks seastoke! So long as we can bring our monster French poodle. He's blue with yellow spots ?

Seastoke

Visit site
That’s fine the poodle can go in the honwave with the unicorn.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

That’s fine the poodle can go in the honwave with the unicorn.

You probably need to keep him away from the Great Danes anyway. You know what these French dogs are like. Any port in a storm ?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
You probably need to keep him away from the Great Danes anyway. You know what these French dogs are like. Any port in a storm ?
Well I guess the only saving grace is that I managed to get my winter maintenance completed (particularly anodes). And now have sealed batteries and a smart charger to top them up. Hopefully all our boats will be safe until this thing passes.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Pete, security of our boats is a consideration. With local police likely to be engaged on far more important duties, boats are going to be vulnerable to petty crime

Bouba

Visit site
Pete, security of our boats is a consideration. With local police likely to be engaged on far more important duties, boats are going to be vulnerable to petty crime
I guess that’s the same for everyone. I’m in walking distance of my boat only I can’t. The capitainerie was closed to the public but I still saw some of the staff out and about working, they are usually the ones who provide security.

BruceK

Visit site
I guess that’s the same for everyone. I’m in walking distance of my boat only I can’t. The capitainerie was closed to the public but I still saw some of the staff out and about working, they are usually the ones who provide security.

That must really suck. Hope it's over for you soon.

Forty_Two

Visit site
Decided to stay & carry on with my fitout lists.

Printed my French Gov form to allow me to go shopping. Can be fined if not able to produce one. Perfect weather, not too hot for working, got my car here for shopping.

BA now offering me vouchers valid for 12 months, which is good as I have several flights booked.

Just relaxing into things now, take it as it comes & be active. Better than self isolating at home (over 70).

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Well I guess the only saving grace is that I managed to get my winter maintenance completed (particularly anodes). And now have sealed batteries and a smart charger to top them up. Hopefully all our boats will be safe until this thing passes.

pete, in Spain anyone who has a job is expected to continue working so Campomanes staff should all be on duty. And with none of the usual public walking around. And the winter storms should be about over, so Andiamo should be pretty safe.
As an aside I’m told by our administrator that so far there are no reports of any cases of the virus in Altea.

markc

Visit site
Decided to stay & carry on with my fitout lists.

Printed my French Gov form to allow me to go shopping. Can be fined if not able to produce one. Perfect weather, not too hot for working, got my car here for shopping.

BA now offering me vouchers valid for 12 months, which is good as I have several flights booked.

Just relaxing into things now, take it as it comes & be active. Better than self isolating at home (over 70).
Enjoy the weather and stay well! If you run out of jobs, feel free to pop down the road to Saint Raphael as I have a list too!

BruceK

Visit site
Enjoy the weather and stay well! If you run out of jobs, feel free to pop down the road to Saint Raphael as I have a list too!

That's a fab idea.

@seastoke, I'm under voluntary quarantine. Can you give my boat a once over with your polishing fetish (y)

To self: That'll save me 500 hundred bucks ?