THOSE OF US WITH BOATS IN THE MED

Hurricane

Visit site
Well - we must have got the last ferry out of the UK to Spain. Arrived in Sant Carles at 0200 this morning. The drive through Spain was very quiet. We always leave the motorway at J3 and do the last 114 miles on C roads. Last night we only saw 20 cars in the whole of that 114 miles - all coming towards us - none going in the same direction as us.
In SC, it is complete "lock down". Not sure what we are going to do - the original plan was to stay for 3 weeks but I don't have any burning need to get back so we will probably "lock down" on the boat. Isolation on a boat seems to be easier than most places.
So, it looks like I'm stuck on a boat - oh dear!!!

MapisM

Visit site
Welcome to the club, M. :)
Just curious, when you say "Not sure what we are going to do", do you mean that you actually have a choice?
I'm asking because here in Italy you wouldn't.
I mean, we are not allowed to go anywhere (also within Sardinia, not just to/from mainland!), unless for specific and rather limited urgent reasons...

MapisM

Visit site
Is it recommendable to remove the injectors to spray some WD40 at the pistons?
Short answer, no.
One thing is fogging a petrol engine (though I don't think WD40 would be best stuff anyway), either from the aspiration intake or pulling the spark plugs, but diesel injectors are much better left alone, unless there's any maintenance need - typically, nozzle replacement and calibration.

Forty_Two

Visit site
So I lifted out at Cannes on Wednesday, bad move, the port is now closed so even if the yard launched me there would be no going back to my home berth in La Napoule.

Will find out tomorrow if they plan on suspending charges, hopefully, as it a municipal yard. Could stay & continue fitting out, no shortage of jobs to do, but there is probably only a short window to get home so may just get in my car & zoom back. Going to be many weeks (months) I think.

Shame as being self contained at my berth would possibly be the best place to be.

vas

Visit site
I forgot to say I chose this year to have my port prop re-proffiled & strbd prop balanced, so they are with France Helices till Tuesday?

Ya gotta laugh if it wasn't so serious.
slightly confused, have they shut down all businesses, even ones not "serving" customers on a f2f basis?
do postal services still operate?

Forty_Two

Visit site
Who knows, I think there is a lot of confusion whilst things sort out. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some clarification.

There has been a meeting with the Harbourmaster who said work will still be allowed on the boats in the yard within the max group size of five people. More tomorrow.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
We live just the French side of the border with Spain … the motorway is open so no problem driving into Spain. The supermarkets and garages are open in Spain but that's about it.

vas

Visit site
thanks for the not v.helpful info :rolleyes:
I'm asking as I'm about to order a muffler for my jet rib from the states, a couple of smallish items from the UK and an inverter from DE.
I might as well not do it and wait unless postal services generally work...
OK Trump closed the borders to EU so doubt anything will come from there anytime soon, but I'd hope EU services will function, will check tomorrow at the local post office.

cheers

V.

stelican

Visit site
Well after spending a number of weeks completely re covering all the internal linings of our t52 the carrier now can’t get the panels back to majorca and it’s looking very likely that the islands will be locked down as well as the mainland. .... So i think this summer could well be a write off ?
Interested to know what was wrong with the panels please

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Who knows, I think there is a lot of confusion whilst things sort out. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some clarification.

There has been a meeting with the Harbourmaster who said work will still be allowed on the boats in the yard within the max group size of five people. More tomorrow.

Whats the situation with boats going out to sea for pleasure purposes? Is that still permitted or prohibited?

jrudge

Visit site
Well - we must have got the last ferry out of the UK to Spain. Arrived in Sant Carles at 0200 this morning. The drive through Spain was very quiet. We always leave the motorway at J3 and do the last 114 miles on C roads. Last night we only saw 20 cars in the whole of that 114 miles - all coming towards us - none going in the same direction as us.
In SC, it is complete "lock down". Not sure what we are going to do - the original plan was to stay for 3 weeks but I don't have any burning need to get back so we will probably "lock down" on the boat. Isolation on a boat seems to be easier than most places.
In Mallorca the police are patrolling and currently being nice and asking people to go home. They will no doubt get more aggressive. They have powers of fine and arrest.

people reporting being moved of beaches ( just 2 on an empty beach ) can’t run bike etc. places closed per the directive.

i also read somewhere ( can’t really all where ) you cannot take a boat out. So as far as I can tell you will be confined literally to the boat other than getting groceries and medicine.

We did think of going to boat if it got bad ( no longer an option ) but when you realise you can’t take it out, go for a walk etc it does not look attractive. Best of luck

julians

Visit site
Yeah, noticed that Ryanair and others are still flying to palma, but there's not much point in going if I'm going to be confined to the apartment, and nothing is open. may as well be in the UK, which may also end up being locked down, but at least I have home comforts

Wondering whether to delay getting the boat serviced and antifouled, but probably will do it as usual, may as well support the bits of the local economy that I can.

MapisM

Visit site
Whats the situation with boats going out to sea for pleasure purposes? Is that still permitted or prohibited?
Probably not too relevant for yourself M, but fwiw that's now prohibited anywhere in IT.
Luckily, together with B, we made the seatrial that he had planned last Sunday!
Btw, I'm skeptic that anyone would stop a boat moving out from a marina, but theoretically they could not allow you to come back!

MapisM

Visit site
So as far as I can tell you will be confined literally to the boat other than getting groceries and medicine.
Same as in Italy. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if F should soon follow.
Unless they will decide that it's better to not upset all their superyacht residents...

Momac

Visit site
Well Perhaps those accountants need to learn a lesson and think less greed and more reserves and resilience…..

I agree completely but I think its common practice.

............... theoretically they could not allow you to come back!
That might be a problem in Italy .
In the UK I suspect no one will notice or even if they do notice the will not care . If out on a boat you are isolated so whats the problem?.