the Volvo Ocean Race

wotayottie

Visit site
It was a bit like that at times last Sunday but I doubt that even Kerenzas speed machine got to anywhere near the speeds of those Volvo boats. We certainly didnt.

But arent those Volvo boats just bluddy marvellous?

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
I have been glued to their youtube clips, and following very closely. Motor car racing really sort of disappears into oblivion when you see what these Gus n' Gals go through. Listening yesterday, Mapfre skipper said..."It's not how fit you are, It's not about how tough you are. He then pointed to his head and said "It's what is here that will make you survive".
I'll certainly be booking hotel room in Cardiff at the end of May to see them rolling in (I'll book early, as I think rooms may well be in demand). Cardiff council assure of a carnival atmosphere, and what a great race to celebrate. 30 knots + is not pissing about.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
As they head for the doldrums, the teams may well compress and catch up with one another. I was interested to read about the "horse Latitudes", you learn a little something everyday.

Visit site
I have been glued to their youtube clips, and following very closely. Motor car racing really sort of disappears into oblivion when you see what these Gus n' Gals go through. Listening yesterday, Mapfre skipper said..."It's not how fit you are, It's not about how tough you are. He then pointed to his head and said "It's what is here that will make you survive".
I'll certainly be booking hotel room in Cardiff at the end of May to see them rolling in (I'll book early, as I think rooms may well be in demand). Cardiff council assure of a carnival atmosphere, and what a great race to celebrate. 30 knots + is not pissing about.

Dont yet know how they are going to handleit in Cardiff. With the extreme boats , they went into the Bay ( ie behind the barrage), but that is as little as 2m deep in many places. So the Volvo boats will have to berth inside the docks I reckon. And as for the in port race, that will have to be outside in the bristol channel.
My boat is berthed in Cardiff so I am looking forward to sailing out of the locks to watch the Volvo boats race in just the same waters I race in. Given the number of boats moored in Cardiff, which has to be somewhere between 500 and 1000, its going to be well crowded.

affinite

Visit site
Looking at this mornings dashboard, "Turn the tide on plastic" appears to have made some headway in order to close in a bit on the leaders.
Am I alone in finding that dashboard frustrating ?
On the dashboard, the ranking and the Distance To Leader appears to be calculated by ranking the boats in order of distance to an invisible waypoint or the finish and is simply measured in a straight line. ie not the actual distance to the leader.
The dashboard currently shows Brunel in the lead which they clearly are not.
Perhaps Im misunderstanding something ?
Good to see Dee and the TTTOP crew overhauling the Scallywags

MikeBz

Visit site
At times they have put in a virtual waypoint and based the ranking on distance to that, which is more helpful. Currently they do not appear to be doing that so the best thing to do is look at the tracker. If one of the boats taking the easterly route (and hence appearing to be ahead on the ranking) actually makes the move pay then of course they are legitimately ahead, so it is a bit difficult to decide where to put the virtual waypoint if there are choices of routing.

Visit site
Dont yet know how they are going to handleit in Cardiff. With the extreme boats , they went into the Bay ( ie behind the barrage), but that is as little as 2m deep in many places. So the Volvo boats will have to berth inside the docks I reckon. And as for the in port race, that will have to be outside in the bristol channel.
My boat is berthed in Cardiff so I am looking forward to sailing out of the locks to watch the Volvo boats race in just the same waters I race in. Given the number of boats moored in Cardiff, which has to be somewhere between 500 and 1000, its going to be well crowded.

Good morning from Volvo Ocean Race Cardiff.
For more information on how things will unfold in Cardiff please check out the Cardiff Stopover web site here https://www.volvooceanracecardiff.com/cardiff-stopover/ .

There is a FAQ section that covers most of your post but if there is anything else you would like to know please post on this thread and we'll get back to you. Also if there are any other FAQ you think we should add to the site let us know!

I believe there was a feature in your club's quarterly newsletter Howard Easton that was sent out this week so keep an eye out for that.

VOR Cardiff