the Volvo Ocean Race

zoidberg

Visit site
Sprits on the quarters.

These small spars can be seen almost clearly in these two pics, and during the first couple of minutes of this YouTube video....

39430968360_1053661296.jpg

39430966720_448923a8aa.jpg

I'm wondering what they're called, how they're rigged, in what roles they're used, and whether there might be a benefit in using the idea on other types.

flaming

Visit site
I'm wondering what they're called, how they're rigged, in what roles they're used, and whether there might be a benefit in using the idea on other types.

They call them outriggers. They are used to get the sheet lead outboard. This helps them with making fewer sails work over a large range of wind angles and strengths, especially reaching.

However to use them it requires the VOR to modify the RRS. So they are not able to be used in other races.

LePacha

Visit site
And that's it for the 2018 edition.

The Dongfeng Race Team won it... Pleased for Caudrelier, he is a good skipper... Might not been as well known as other french skippers, but this is definitively an achievement. Apparently Bidegorry played (again) an amazing role as a navigator. Interesting to see that my countrymen who are traditionally better at solo-racing starts embracing crew-racing with some results (Cammas and now Caudrelier). Let's see if they manage to get some decent results now in the America's Cup.