The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

Heckler

Visit site
Stu
Tom is flying back to Scotland today & back on the 4th Jan.
As to the surge. Problem fixed. At least 6 peeps lost equipment.
Probably going to be many more when others return in the spring.
We had our dehumidifier burn out. Poor old Bobbie had five electrical
items burn out. He seems to have come off worst but then he leaves everything switched on 24/7.

Boa Festa.
Ta v much, thinking of you all, log fire, binlids home, stuffed watching the box and thinking of a ziz!
S

nortada

Visit site
2016 Increases In The The Algarve Marina Mooring Dues

I understand from 1st of January 2016 the rates for births in the marina of Vila Real de Santo Antonio (VRSA), on the Rio Guadiana, have been raised with 25%.

Problem talking percentages, 25% of not very much is still not an awfully lot more so really need to talk Euros.

I can confirm that Marina de Lagos has held its 2015 prices for another year.

Ludd

Visit site
Re: 2016 Increases In The The Algarve Marina Mooring Dues

I understand from 1st of January 2016 the rates for "births"(?) in the marina of Vila Real de Santo Antonio (VRSA), on the Rio Guadiana, have been raised with 25%.

Problem talking percentages, 25% of not very much is still not an awfully lot more so really need to talk Euros.

Portugal has been complaining of a low birth rate for years, despite my efforts:p Maybe this will help-----:cool:

nortada

Visit site

I understand from 1st of January 2016 the rates for births in the marina of Vila Real de Santo Antonio (VRSA), on the Rio Guadiana, have been raised with 25%.

The price of copying posts from other sites without fully checking them:eek:.

nortada

Visit site

It appears that this particular rumour of a 25% hike is not true but still don't know the price of Vila Real compared with Ayamonte just across the river?

Heckler

Visit site

Heckler

Visit site
Guadiana bar update

Came across last night at 18.00, 2 hours after low water, 1&2, 3&4 buoy fresh painted. 5 mtrs at 1&2 4.4 mtrs at 3&4
Stu

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Re: Guadiana bar update

Came across last night at 18.00, 2 hours after low water, 1&2, 3&4 buoy fresh painted. 5 mtrs at 1&2 4.4 mtrs at 3&4
Stu

I assume that's 18:00 Spanish time if 2 hours after LW. I think that should have made height about 1.8m. So it sounds as if it's 1& 2 dredged to around 3.2m above chart datum and 3&4 would be approx. 2.6 m. I'll check these figures when I'm not half asleep and put them with my other notes for Guadiana.

Always good to have time and date. I remember getting a few clearance heights for the bridge from people but none gave the date, time or depth when passing under. So no reference points.

Thanks for the detailed information even though it's 50:50 whether or not I head in that direction this year.

nortada

Visit site

I assume that's 18:00 Spanish time if 2 hours after LW. I think that should have made height about 1.8m. So it sounds as if it's 1& 2 dredged to around 3.2m above chart datum and 3&4 would be approx. 2.6 m. I'll check these figures when I'm not half asleep and put them with my other notes for Guadiana.

Always good to have time and date. I remember getting a few clearance heights for the bridge from people but none gave the date, time or depth when passing under. So no reference points.

Thanks for the detailed information even though it's 50:50 whether or not I head in that direction this year.

Thanks for this useful info.

Will be heading into God's River in the near future.

To give this greater visibility could this post be copied to the long running thread on http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?338051-The-Truth-About-Sailing-On-The-Algarve?

Another regular question is the air draught under the Guadiana Bridge?

Not a problem for me but an idea. If somebody can lay their hands on a builders laser tape measure it should be able to get an accurate measurement, which, if coupled with the rise of tide should make it possible to produce an air draught for the bridge above chart datum.

Shades of back to The Day Skipper Shorebased Course:encouragement:

Last edited:

Visit site

Shades of back to The Day Skipper Shorebased Course:encouragement:[/QUOTE]

Shades of the days of sailing tall yachts.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Shades of the days of sailing tall yachts.

As you approach the Guadiana Bridge, being pushed by the tide, all yachts look increasingly tall!

Yes, very nerve wracking.

I have some figures but can't give the actual bridge clearance. I can supply figures for my own boat and that might help others.

We certainly got under the bridge with a little to spare at LW when height was predicted to be about 0.8m - 1.0m. (Ayamonte & Vila Real predictions differ slightly)

Our air draft was 19.8m and draft 2.2m. I hope that helps and have given details below.

I measured the air draft on our 2009 Jeanneau 42DS very carefully.

Antenna 0.9m
Mast 17m
Mast base-Water 1.9m
Total height 19.8m

Builder's spec. says 19.25m (may not include VHF antenna) so I was happy with 19.8m
Draft 2.15m (probably more like 2.2m as we are well loaded with gear)

We went upstream on the 23rd July, 2014 and being paranoid I put about 60kg water on end of the boom to heel over and reduce air draft. About 8 deg. heel if I remember and plenty of clearance so we didn't bother on the return leg. It did look pretty close when boat was upright but still able to get through without a problem so 19.8m OK on that day.

23rd July 2014 (5 days before spring tide) LW 0.9m at Ayamonte and 1.1m at Vila Real
31 Aug 2014 (4 days after spring tide) LW at 0.8m Ayamonte and 1.0m at Vila Real

Rate of rise/fall not great and weather settled when we went under so height should have been close to predicted.

nortada

Visit site

Yes, very nerve wracking.

I have some figures but can't give the actual bridge clearance. I can supply figures for my own boat and that might help others.

We certainly got under the bridge with a little to spare at LW when height was predicted to be about 0.8m - 1.0m. (Ayamonte & Vila Real predictions differ slightly)

Our air draft was 19.8m and draft 2.2m. I hope that helps and have given details below.

I measured the air draft on our 2009 Jeanneau 42DS very carefully.

Antenna 0.9m
Mast 17m
Mast base-Water 1.9m
Total height 19.8m

Builder's spec. says 19.25m (may not include VHF antenna) so I was happy with 19.8m
Draft 2.15m (probably more like 2.2m as we are well loaded with gear)

We went upstream on the 23rd July, 2014 and being paranoid I put about 60kg water on end of the boom to heel over and reduce air draft. About 8 deg. heel if I remember and plenty of clearance so we didn't bother on the return leg. It did look pretty close when boat was upright but still able to get through without a problem so 19.8m OK on that day.

23rd July 2014 (5 days before spring tide) LW 0.9m at Ayamonte and 1.1m at Vila Real
31 Aug 2014 (4 days after spring tide) LW at 0.8m Ayamonte and 1.0m at Vila Real

Rate of rise/fall not great and weather settled when we went under so height should have been close to predicted.

Suppose another way to measure the air draught accurately would be a long lead-line but think you would be taking your life in your hands to walk out on the bridge to execute the activity:rolleyes::rolleyes::angel:

macd

Visit site

Suppose another way to measure the air draught accurately would be a long lead-line but think you would be taking your life in your hands to walk out on the bridge to execute the activity:rolleyes::rolleyes::angel:

It's also vehicles-only, so the boys in blue may show an interest. Then you'd have the intresting issue of reaching, or measuring to, the underside of the deck, which is concrete and decidedly overhanging.