The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

nortada

Visit site
IIRC a mate paid 28 euro for the year. There is also a cruising tax for boats which spend more than 6 months in a calendar year, based on HP x 1.5. Details here - http://liveinfo.lagosnavigators.net/httpdocs/bureaucracy/taxation/

€28 light dues? Only €2 in Lagos, he was done! But that's Portugal - hardly a king's ransom.

Cruising Tax.
True but this circulation (cruising) tax only applies to vessels who are continuously in Portuguese Water for more than 183 days in a calendar year. Provided you leave Portuguese Waters then the 'clock' resets to zero so out of Portugal for the first few days of July, no tax to pay. I it not retrospective to previous years.

At a practical level, I have yet to meet anybody who has been chased for this national tax, which is regionally administered.

Last edited:

Visit site
€28 light dues? Only €2 in Lagos, he was done! But that's Portugal - hardly a king's ransom.

Cruising Tax.
True but this circulation (cruising) tax only applies to vessels who are continuously in Portuguese Water for more than 183 days in a calendar year. Provided you leave Portuguese Waters then the 'clock' resets to zero so out of Portugal for the first few days of July, no tax to pay. I it not retrospective to previous years.

At a practical level, I have yet to meet anybody who has been chased for this national tax, which is regionally administered.

I happily paid the year's €11 a couple of weeks ago in Olhão.

maxi77

Visit site

Cruising Tax.

When I had a boat on the Algarve light dues were at the 2 euro range at Albufeira but I did hear stories that it was much higher in Portimao. No one ever asked for it despite the GNR and marine plods being regular visitors to the marina, in fact at that time the GNR had 2 boatsin the marina. Its a bit like going to one Financias to pay your car tax and getting out in minutes and going to another and queuing for hours at another.

Visit site
When I had a boat on the Algarve light dues were at the 2 euro range at Albufeira but I did hear stories that it was much higher in Portimao. No one ever asked for it despite the GNR and marine plods being regular visitors to the marina, in fact at that time the GNR had 2 boatsin the marina. Its a bit like going to one Financias to pay your car tax and getting out in minutes and going to another and queuing for hours at another.

The light dues vary according to the boat, the length of time that it will be in Portuguese waters and the sailing area so obviously people say that they've paid so much and someone else a lot more - obvious really.

Visit site
Re: R.Guadiana

I thought the river parted company with Castro Marim around 1755. Where will this pontoon be?

The newspaper report was very brief.
I've never explored them but it appears that there are a couple of waterways - crossed by bridges if you are driving down to Vila Real from the motorway.
Nooubt one of the Guadiana regulars will be along soon to fill in the details.

nortada

Visit site

Your thread so your call.

Do you want to ask the Moderators to merge this thread with The Truth About The Algarve and so put all of tha Algarve Eggs into one basket?

As said, your thread so your choice.

nortada

Visit site
The light dues vary according to the boat, the length of time that it will be in Portuguese waters and the sailing area so obviously people say that they've paid so much and someone else a lot more - obvious really.

As one who pays light dues.

In Lagos the only criteria is time. Full year = €11, 6 months = €2 so yes you have guessed, if required, we get 2x6 months.

Well it is Portugal:cool:

Visit site

Your thread so your call.

Do you want to ask the Moderators to merge this thread with The Truth About The Algarve and so put all of tha Algarve Eggs into one basket?

As said, your thread so your choice.

I started the thread as a separate item thinking that it would be of little interest to most people in the Barlavento but if you think that it would be better included in the other please feel free.

Visit site

I haven't seen exact details but they talk about the main and subsidiary channels as well as the Armona bar by which I presume that they mean the Barra Grande which would be jolly useful for easterly trips. Even better if they place some buoys.

nortada

Visit site
Dredging?

I haven't seen exact details but they talk about the main and subsidiary channels as well as the Armona bar by which I presume that they mean the Barra Grande which would be jolly useful for easterly trips. Even better if they place some buoys.

Who is talking about extended dredging, who is going to pay and why?

Are they going to finally complete and open the marina at Olhao?

The main buoyed channels are already dredged regularly.

Last edited:

GrahamM376

Visit site
Re: Dredging?

Who is talking about extended dredging, who is going to pay and why?

Are they going to finally complete and open the marina at Olhao?

The main buoyed channels are already dredged regularly.

A few years ago it was announced that (IIRC) 35 million euro had been allocated for dredging and other works in the Ria Formosa to attract tourists and boats such as the Belle of Cadix - http://www.cruisingholidays.co.uk/river/ship/belle-de-cadix/ . Some has been spent on developing land adjacent to Bruce's and the new road alongside the railway line and, in demolishing illegal houses at Faro Beach. Rumour had it that all moorings are to be removed and anchoring restricted to Culatra town area.

The last I heard about Olhao was that the proposed new marina wasn't going ahead and that there's no money available for repairs to the existing two, one of which is for berth holders only not visitors and the other for small fishing boats.

Trouble is, there are so many rumours flying around it's hard to know what's actually happening.

nortada

Visit site
Re: Dredging?

A few years ago it was announced that (IIRC) 35 million euro had been allocated for dredging and other works in the Ria Formosa to attract tourists and boats such as the Belle of Cadix - http://www.cruisingholidays.co.uk/river/ship/belle-de-cadix/ . Some has been spent on developing land adjacent to Bruce's and the new road alongside the railway line and, in demolishing illegal houses at Faro Beach. Rumour had it that all moorings are to be removed and anchoring restricted to Culatra town area.

The last I heard about Olhao was that the proposed new marina wasn't going ahead and that there's no money available for repairs to the existing two, one of which is for berth holders only not visitors and the other for small fishing boats.

Trouble is, there are so many rumours flying around it's hard to know what's actually happening.

Twose ever the way.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Light Dues

Just been in to pay our light dues (Taxa de Farolagem e Balizagem) at Faro Capitania this morning and the amount has changed from 2 to 6 euro. Evidently this now applies to all foreign boats and covers 12 months, August to August in our case, and no proof of time away from Portugal was asked for.

maxi77

Visit site
Re: Light Dues

Just been in to pay our light dues (Taxa de Farolagem e Balizagem) at Faro Capitania this morning and the amount has changed from 2 to 6 euro. Evidently this now applies to all foreign boats and covers 12 months, August to August in our case, and no proof of time away from Portugal was asked for.

Having gone through the procedure though I wonder if they make a profit even at 6 euros. Mind you that's Portugal, my car tax is 18 but change the registration details and it costs 60.

Ludd

Visit site
Re: Light Dues

Just an update. The bar at the Guadiane entrance having been dredged,port and starboard marker posts have been installed at least as far up as Laranjeiros.
Looks like they are going to dredge a deep water channel . Ocean going cruise liners in Mertola??:p