The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

Ludd

Visit site
Wasn't there in November ,last time I took the boat down there. I'm in Englandshire at the moment, back 5th, so will no doubt be down before the end of the month and will report .
Might be handy for tying up to when going ashore for short trips :p

Ludd

Visit site
So we have noticed - God's River.

Best wishes from Marina de Lagos (God's Acre & the other loony land) to all of our friends up the Guadiana.

Just been down to VR (by road) .Only new buoy I could see was a yellow "unspecified hazard" (yellow cross on top) buoy south of the yacht club.
Is that the one?

canoeman

Visit site
Winging our way back to Portugal after a long absence.

Is all still the same?

See there was a period when the Portuguese Maritime Authorities appeared to be targeting foreign flagged vessels but this seems to have stopped. Despite stopping vessels on the high seas (is this legal?) I can not find any evidence of anybody being arrested, fined or worse.

Another issue was boat tax, which was charged on boats. After 183 days in Portugal in a year foreign flagged boats became liable for this tax. It rarely seemed to been enforced and again no action was taken against those who did not pay. Is it still the same.

Not sure our final destination the West Coast or the Algarve so is anything else we should consider before hitting land?

Last edited:

Visit site
Winging our way back to Portugal after a long absence.

Is all still the same?

See there was a period when the Portuguese Maritime Authorities appeared to be targeting foreign flagged vessels but this seems to have stopped. Despite stopping vessels on the high seas (is this legal?) I can not find any evidence of anybody being arrested, fined or worse.

Another issue was boat tax, which was charged on boats. After 183 days in Portugal in a year foreign flagged boats became liable for this tax. It rarely seemed to been enforced and again no action was taken against those who did not pay. Is it still the same.

Not sure our final destination the West Coast or the Algarve so is anything else we should consider before hitting land?

In the past thirty-five years I've heard many rumours but never had any trouble with the authorities. We pay the light dues and fishing licence but have never been asked for either nor for proof that we've been out of the country.
Depends what you mean by "high seas". I think that there are international agreements regarding drug smuggling.

canoeman

Visit site
Thanks for this.

Where do you keep your boat and does it ever leave Portugal? They could be tracking your whereabouts by hidden means. From what i remember, a bit high tech for Portugal.

Light dues, that's a new one. How do you get it and do boats in transit have to pay or is there a period of grace? Bit naughty because as I recall Portugal doesn't have many lights. If all EU countries copy this, it could become rather expensive.

Visit site
Thanks for this.

Where do you keep your boat and does it ever leave Portugal? They could be tracking your whereabouts by hidden means. From what i remember, a bit high tech for Portugal.

Light dues, that's a new one. How do you get it and do boats in transit have to pay or is there a period of grace? Bit naughty because as I recall Portugal doesn't have many lights. If all EU countries copy this, it could become rather expensive.

La Roca lives in the small boat harbour (erroneously called marina by some) in Olhão so is easily tracked. There is some high tech stuff and international cooperation these days because of drug smuggling - they have quite a high record of arrests.
There are plenty of light houses and the Ria Formosa - channels to Faro and Olhão- is well buoyed so I don't mind going to the local Policia Maritima once a year to pay a few euros.

GrahamM376

Visit site

2 euro light dues are payable as soon as you arrive in Portugal at the port Capitania and lasts for 6 months. There is a higher rate payable if the boat exceeds 6 months in a calendar year, hence the necessity to produce foreign marina receipts to prove you've been out of the country if you try to pay for another 6 months in the same year. Some people just pay the higher annual rate based on engine HP.

As 25931 says, very little trouble with the authorities, although a few were threatened over lack of safety equipment (under Portuguese regs.) , I don't know anyone who was actually fined and it was all blown up out of proportion. All the info you need is on Lagos Navigators web site - http://liveinfo.lagosnavigators.net/httpdocs/

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Nobody wanted light dues from us in 2013 as we only went as far South as Povoa de Varzim. In 2014 we got to Sines and decided to do the right thing and pay our 2 Euro. However, this involved a longish walk, some searching for the office and about 40 minutes with 2 nice ladies registering us online and filling in forms. They were surprised to find the cost was only 2 Euro for 6 months and wondered why we'd bothered. We did get 2 very nice pieces of paper to show the authorities but were never asked.