The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

Ludd

Visit site
Re: Then And Now.

They'd probably run aground trying to get all the way up to Olhao :)

RZlBBZo.jpg

You need wheels, not keels.

Visit site

A proper marina a Olhao would be a great shame and destroy its charm. There is plenty of landlubber tourism for the local businesses so I don't see why they would need it.

There are lots of locals who are desperate for a berth -I'm lucky in that I moved in before they opened officially but boats are being bought just to obtain a berth.

GrahamM376

Visit site

There are lots of locals who are desperate for a berth -I'm lucky in that I moved in before they opened officially but boats are being bought just to obtain a berth.

We enquired about 8 years ago and were told we would be 245th on the waiting list so didn't bother, bought the mooring instead.

A proper marina there, or Faro, would soon fill up. More temperate winter weather than further west and, as already said, closer to the airport.

nortada

Visit site

We enquired about 8 years ago and were told we would be 245th on the waiting list so didn't bother, bought the mooring instead.

A proper marina there, or Faro, would soon fill up. More temperate winter weather than further west and, as already said, closer to the airport.

Current state of the £/€, as with all marinas in The EU I suspect price could be the final arbator.

It will be interesting how marina moorings pan out this coming winter. For some I anticipate more time on the hook, with short visits to the marinas when absolutely essential. Alvor, Faro, Culatra and The Guadiana could become much busier.

Visit site

Current state of the £/€, as with all marinas in The EU I suspect price could be the final arbator.

It will be interesting how marina moorings pan out this coming winter. For some I anticipate more time on the hook, with short visits to the marinas when absolutely essential. Alvor, Faro, Culatra and The Guadiana could become much busier.

Marinas are a recent invention. I don't suppose that I'm the only one who has spent more time outside than in a marina.

nortada

Visit site
Life On the Hook. ?

Can't be that many yachts spending year round on the hook in the Algarve these days, I've probably got drunk more than once with a fair chunk of them ;)

Agree but anticipate more will be spending longer than before.

By observation, living long periods on the hook is a man thing. SWMBO, like many other Liveaboard Ladies, would never sign up to life on the hook so anticipate, if it lasts long, the weak £ could lead to a reduction of boats (and camper-vans).

No doubt the Portuguese will attempt to compensate by putting prices up!

It's the Portuguese Way! ?

GHA

Visit site
Re: Life On the Hook. ?

Word in the olhao street cafes is the marina as been bought by ze Germans, and the first guy to get thrown out for non payment was.... German :)
Still vague rumours that part of the deal was that they get to build pontoons all the way down the front of the markets :(
Load of streetworks coming up as well apparently, replacing all the cobbles down the front with paving & main road going one way with wider pavement . Should keep them busy for a while...

GHA

Visit site
Re: Life On the Hook. ?

Chatting to an Olhao marina berth holder over a beer earlier..

Apparently it is now accepting visitors!

Hourly rate so presumably daily as well? Power & water in the inside pontoons, if anyone fancies trying it then sounds worthwhile tieing up on the outside and wandering up to the office to see who ever is about.

Over winter might well be an option when the summer boats head back to Lisbon or wherever.

Apparently anyway. It's Portugal, who knows for sure :)

nortada

Visit site
Olhao Marina An Option❓

Chatting to an Olhao marina berth holder over a beer earlier..

Apparently it is now accepting visitors!

Hourly rate so presumably daily as well? Power & water in the inside pontoons, if anyone fancies trying it then sounds worthwhile tieing up on the outside and wandering up to the office to see who ever is about.

Over winter might well be an option when the summer boats head back to Lisbon or wherever.

Apparently anyway. It's Portugal, who knows for sure :)

Wonder if there are any domestic facilities? Seem to recall there is a public toilet block, of uncertain vintage on the promenade and when open, there is a reasonable toilet in the market.

Possibly the hotel across the road will show some initiative and for a change, offer berth-holders their facilities.

Well it could be cheaper than Culatra Island Marina.:encouragement: ?

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
Re: Olhao Marina An Option❓

Wonder if there are any domestic facilities? Seem to recall there is a public toilet block, of uncertain vintage on the promenade and when open, there is a reasonable toilet in the market.

Possibly the hotel across the road will show some initiative and for a change, offer berth-holders their facilities.

Well it could be cheaper than Culatra Island Marina.:encouragement: 

This popped up on google..

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/public-tender-launched-for-concessions-of-olhao-marina/39646

In a statement the Ministry said the operation of the soon-to-be 500-berth port infrastructure will be established on an exclusive basis, for a period of 35 years.
The tender includes an initial expansion of berths as well as work planned to improve, repair, and renovate the marina area and complimentary services such as parking, refuelling, and security.

GHA

Visit site

Prime position on The Algarve. Wonder what impact this 500 marina will have on the other marinas in the area and when it will open.❓

Looking on google earth the existing pontoons look like about 200 boats, so 500 would be all the way down the front of the markets to the ferry terminal.

Really really hope that never happens! It would completely change the atmosphere of the place.

Some more word on the street is that the fishing port has worked planned so the smaller fishing boats can move in there instead of the pontoons down by the ferries.

Vitaminas will be pleased :)

nortada

Visit site

Looking on google earth the existing pontoons look like about 200 boats, so 500 would be all the way down the front of the markets to the ferry terminal.

Really really hope that never happens! It would completely change the atmosphere of the place.

Some more word on the street is that the fishing port has worked planned so the smaller fishing boats can move in there instead of the pontoons down by the ferries.

Vitaminas will be pleased :)

Change the atmosphere.

At present, it can be a bit pongy in places. Since when have the Portuguese worried about the esoteric and atmosphere?

Hope they extend the wave break as fishing boats race up and down the channel outside the existing moorings.?

GHA

Visit site

Change the atmosphere.

At present, it can be a bit pongy in places. Since when have the Portuguese worried about the esoteric and atmosphere?

Hope they extend the wave break as fishing boats race up and down the channel outside the existing moorings.

OK, change the whole feel of the place then. Would be a great shame to fill this view up with white plastic boats,,

RsQr4Nk.png

nortada

Visit site
All Quiet On The Algarve Front

Some will be aware of the strenuous debates in forums based to the East (and south) of us.

All very quiet in the Algarve so are we enjoying cordial relations with our hosts or is everybody banged up?;)

If life is about to get turgid elsewhere, it could help fill those 500 berths in Marina de Olhao:encouragement:

Last edited:

Visit site

Well it could be cheaper than Culatra Island Marina.:encouragement: ��[/QUOTE]

There is no marina, only the fishing boat harbour where fifteen pleasure boats were booked recently.