The Saddest News

Independence

Visit site
Such dreadful news. Having had a brief opportunity to speak with Mike at a Jester meet it was such a privilege to have been able to shake his hand.

jesterchallenger

Visit site
The saddest news

Logging on to the Jester YBW forum this afternoon, it was with great sadness that I learnt of Mike Richey’s death. I cannot claim to have known Mike well, only having met and talked to him on two occasions prior to the Jester Challenge but I have always much enjoyed his writing - like his voyaging aboard Jester, well executed, well thought through, modest, interesting and full of common sense. He was a sort of modest anti-hero when compared to all those other headline-grabbing sailors, more famous for their daring-do and exciting exploits. Nevertheless he was to me a most inspirational figure with his quiet way of just getting on with things and philosophical attitude when things did not go according to plan. Unlike many, he lived a long and fulfilling life and achieved so much, a sailing hero if ever there was, and will be much missed

Gargleblaster

Visit site
A Voyage Well Made

To add a little to Duncan's eulogy. I remember Mike best for his expression 'A voyage well made', which was his ambition in all his Atlantic crossings. He never defined this but in talking to him it seemed to be to him to have crossed safely and with some enjoyment. Perhaps the best example of this was when he was being interviewed by some journalist who had discovered he had completed more OSTARs than anyone else.
The journalist asked: 'In all those OSTARs what has been your best position?'
Mike's answer: 'Last.'
My personal summary of Mike's life would be: 'A voyage well made.'

CPD

Visit site
Very sad news indeed. I am very grateful however to have met and chatted with him, if only on two occassions.