The RYA get my back up when it comes to the ICC

choppy

Visit site
Did I see that rya membership gives 10% reduction on some marinas ?
Anyone know more . Ijoined and stayed for the winsurfing insurance but the legal team have covered the grand it has cost me to date many times over.
Each to their own choice
For us the ICC as a qualification Seems to cover a very wide range(and sometimes lack) of competence

Tin Tin

Visit site
Yer whinging Oyster owners who begrudge a few quid for a bit o paper

Remember how people used to moan about having to pay twenty quid (IIRC) to OFCOM for a ships radio license?
Or how many resent paying £25 for a Part III registration?

Yet paying £45 to a for-profit lobby group is somehow part of the course? :confused:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

Quandary

Visit site
Are you taking on the mantle of one of our posters from Ireland who lives in France and witters on and on about the RNLI finances for the RYA?

Well it looks as if you may be a Scot that lives in England who feels free to contribute, surely the wider the forum is spread and the more diversity the better?

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
For those interested in balance sheets this was the latest I could find.
I don't understand them too well but to me it seems they pay out a huge amount on advertising and some of the wages I would be happy with as well.
http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/legal/RYA-Annual-Report-2014.pdf

I've no axe to grind either way as far as the RYA is concerned but I am incurably curious ...

I can't find any reference to advertising anywhere in that balance sheet. The word "advert" and derivatives ("advertise" etc.) doesn't even appear anywhere in the report!

I wonder if you're referring to "Membership Promotion and Services" under "Direct Expenditure", a sum of £1,174,316 (2014)?

If so, and I can't see what else it could be, the key point is that sum is not expended on advertising alone. It is the entire cost of providing the service to members. It includeds, as it says, promotion (and by implication advertising) but also includes all the costs of membership administration, membership benefits and so on. In return, RYA received £4,041,808 in income from subscriptions and donations. That's a pretty good ratio of income to expenditure

Someone suggested earlier that the RYA gets lots of money from the government

In 2014 RYA received £2,631,969 from the Sports Council. That year the RYA disbursed £2,631,969 in Sport Council grants. They didn't even take admin costs.

The same applies with World Class Programme (whatever that is) grants. Five odd million, every penny disbursed. (RYA made a net income of about £108,000 on "Other Grants")

£135,255 per annum for the top executive director job at the RYA. The other paid executive director gets (or got in 2014) £71.961. Those are not huge salaries. By first sector standards they are, for an organisation the size of RYA, quite the opposite and they're not generous even by third sector standards. If you want a monkey with a brain at the top of the tree, you've got to hang a reasonably large bag of peanuts off the top branch.

As I say, it's of no great import to me personally but as a former charity trustee, and of a not dissimilar charity at that, it piqued my interest

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Well it looks as if you may be a Scot that lives in England who feels free to contribute, surely the wider the forum is spread and the more diversity the better?
I was home last week, Fort William, the new landing pontoon at the car park was eye wateringly expensive! I was looking forward to using it, but not at that price.

Tranona

Visit site
You dont need an ICC anywhere in the EU coastal waters - mutual recognition of qualifications is EU law. We have no compulsory qualifications so EU members have to recognise that.

Not always easy explaining that to an uninformed foreign official but hey ho, you can always insist

All of that is untrue. The ICC is nothing to do with the EU, but is UN sponsored as a solution to the problem that yachting qualifications are NOT mutually recognised. Just read the explanation freely available on the RYA website.

Incidentally, mutual recognition of professional qualifications is also not universal across the EU, despite the claims in the Directives. You try getting a job as a university lecturer in say France or Italy on the same contract as a national.

Tranona

Visit site
So why as a non member should I be supporting members by paying over the odds! I don't get a choice. I also believe that the funding for the certificates is from the price of them not from lottery tickets so am I funding all you posh yachty types in the UK?
The RYA also get a very large grant direct from the UK government I believe.
If you are in the UK you don't need an ICC.

Your ignorance shows no bounds. If you know nothing about a subject best to not say anything. If you were a member, you would know that the member services are unconnected with the government funded work. They are clearly shown as such in the accounts (which are available to non members via the internet). If you can't read a set of accounts and the notes that explain them, even more reason not to say anything on the subject;

As to whether you should pay for something that is of benefit to you, there is only one answer. If you don't think it is worth the money don't pay. Simple as that. Hardly a huge sum of money - under £10 a year. There is no compulsion to join the RYA if you think there is no benefit to you, but not unreasonable you should pay for something that is rather than freeload on everything.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Yes, I am ignorant without bounds and nice of you to say so.
It is one reason why I asked this question on here so the enlightened such as yourself can help with my understanding.
Nice of you to take an extract of mine out of context which was a reply to another post but if it makes you look better then you go for it my friend.
My point is that the ICC grant and renewal was given to the RYA by the government. They just seem to have made the price of the renewal the same as the price of joining the RYA which is obviously pure coincidence especially when you get the renewal free if you are a member.
To me this means that if the ICC was actually 43 pounds to produce they would get no membership fees for that year or if the person cancelled membership they would get nothing.
This is obviously not the case as others sell it cheaper as stated.
So in effect it means that us non members are paying way over the odds if we decline to agree to the marketing ploy to get us to join the RYA. So, like it or not we are subsidising the RYA and its members.
I am not and have never said that ICC should be free. I am not trying to freeload. I could say that those members of the RYA are freeloading as they want membership to the RYA and the ICC to be free. Would they join the RYA if the ICC was not free and they had to pay the same as me? I think you would see membership decline.
Looking at it from another point of view why don't the RYA drop the day skippers and give you an ICC instead as that is more widely recognised and would be of more benefit?
Yes, we are paying over the odds for an ICC, yes it is a marketing ploy and yes the RYA make a profit out of it of probably 300% or more.

Robin

Visit site
Stop whining, join the RYA & support British sailing, then the ICC is a free benefit

Exactly so. I had actually dropped my 40 year plus individual membership after 5 years living outside of the country, but rejoined simply to renew my ICC that I never showed to anyone ever, but didn't want to surrender on principle, if I had to pay up to renew it might as well be that way. OP needs to chill IMO!.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Robin, I am chilled.
By the way. If you now want to renew your driving licence which is going to happens every 5 years you get it from the RAC. It is no longer £10 but £50 but if you join the RAC it is free. Membership to the RAC is also £50.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Robin,
I am going to have words about this. You are not supporting the British breakdown services or better driving and should be ashamed of yourselves.