The RYA get my back up when it comes to the ICC

Sandyman

Visit site
Im with you on this one. I resent having to cough up for a meaningless chit of paper every 5 years to prove what? that I've not become incompetent after 40+ years of sailing ?
I also resent being forced to cough up my dosh to an organisation I have no interest in & that does nothing for me. Why are they allowed to run a monopoly?

Quandary

Visit site
Dunno what you guys are whinging about, £45 every five years? That would not buy you two nights in Mallaig bouncing about in a Northerly.
Because I pay to keep my boat on an inland waterway I have to have it inspected every five years to make sure my gas pipes have not gone out of date, the charge is £150 to £200 and none of it goes to promote sailing.

jordanbasset

Visit site
I undersrood the 5 years was laid down in regulations, link here suggest 5 years is fairly universal, this from a different qualification board to the RYA
http://www.sailingschoolasia.com/international-certificate-of-competency-icc.html
Is there a period of validity for the ICC?
The ICC is valid for a period of five years. See instructions for revalidation

Another one here
https://www.sailing.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Guide-to-the-ICC-2015.pdf
In Ireland the certificate is issued to qualified applicants through the offices of the Irish Sailing Association on behalf of
the Irish Government.
Period of Validity
The ICC is valid for a period of 5 years from date of issue. It may be renewed by application to the Irish Sailing
Association.

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
...Because I pay to keep my boat on an inland waterway I have to have it inspected every five years to make sure my gas pipes have not gone out of date, the charge is £150 to £200 and none of it goes to promote sailing.
BSS is a four year validity... and you said I talked rubbish! :)

Tin Tin

Visit site
I undersrood the 5 years was laid down in regulations, link here suggest 5 years is fairly universal, this from a different qualification board to the RYA
http://www.sailingschoolasia.com/international-certificate-of-competency-icc.html
Is there a period of validity for the ICC?
The ICC is valid for a period of five years. See instructions for revalidation

Another one here
https://www.sailing.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Guide-to-the-ICC-2015.pdf
In Ireland the certificate is issued to qualified applicants through the offices of the Irish Sailing Association on behalf of
the Irish Government.
Period of Validity
The ICC is valid for a period of 5 years from date of issue. It may be renewed by application to the Irish Sailing
Association.

Knew I would find a link.
Belgian issued ICCs are valid for life.

Naviguer à l’étranger avec un bateau de plaisance (ICC )

L’ICC (International Certificate for operators of pleasure Craft) est un permis de navigation reconnu dans la plupart des pays européens. Tel n’est pas le cas des brevets nationaux (brevet de conduite, brevet de yachtman et de navigateur de yacht) qui ne sont pas toujours acceptés à l’étranger comme preuve de la capacité de naviguer par les autorités locales ou les loueurs de bateaux.

Pour obtenir un ICC belge, il suffit de disposer du brevet belge adéquat et d’en faire la demande. Il n’y a pas de test ou d’examen complémentaire à passer. L’ICC est valable sans limite de temps et se présente sous la forme d’une carte bancaire.

Il existe plusieurs catégories d’ICC :
Selon l’endroit où on veut naviguer :
“I” (inland) : pour les voies navigables intérieures
“C” (coast) : pour les eaux côtières

Selon le type de bateau :
“M” (motor) : pour les bateaux à moteur
“S” (sail) : pour les voiliers

Link: https://mobilit.belgium.be/fr/navigation/navigation_de_plaisance/conducteur/international_icc

There is no treaty obligation regarding the time an ICC is valid.
It's left up to the individual issuing state.

macd

Visit site
I undersrood the 5 years was laid down in regulations.

I'm not sure what you mean by "regulations". As stated earlier, there is nothing in Resolution 40 that indicates a prescribed period of validity. In the case of the UK, it may be that HMG stipulated five years in the terms of delegation passed to the RYA and others. It may be that the RYA asked for, and/or are happy with a five year term as ensuring a continued income stream for their trouble.

I say "may" because I just don't know and the information is not freely available.

All we can confidently infer is that there is no prescribed fee.

D

Deleted member 36384

... so am I funding all you posh yachty types in the UK?... .

Thank you for that 0.1mm length of a single strand in the 1.5mm2 twin core that was used in my recent rewire. It is appreciated. However, I am afraid, that I am not posh, do you feel cheated? :)

prv

Visit site
I also resent being forced to cough up my dosh to an organisation I have no interest in & that does nothing for me.

You may not have any interest in it, but I wouldn't be so sure that it does nothing for you.

Of course we can never know for sure, but I strongly suspect that it's the RYA's longstanding official policy of "education not legislation", and its lobbying for the same, that means you don't need a "boat driving license" and a "boat MOT" issued by the government, and the distance you can travel is not regulated according to the official class of your boat. All of which are common in other European countries. The UK is pretty highly regulated (most of us think too much so) in most areas of life - ask yourself why sailing remains the anomaly?

Why are they allowed to run a monopoly?

They aren't - go talk to the divers or the waterskiiers if you prefer.

Pete

Quandary

Visit site
BSS is a four year validity... and you said I talked rubbish! :)

Sorry, I have only done it three times and each time it was for five years, wonder why are they discriminating against you?
Of course, it is because you are in Bellanoch.

Last edited:

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
So would it be fair to say that the RYA are overcharging non members for an ICC in order to get them to become members of the RYA to bolster membership and that 5 years is another way of making money from non members?
Yes, of course they are really looking after those of us who need an ICC and are abroad and are sailors.

sailorman

Visit site
So would it be fair to say that the RYA are overcharging non members for an ICC in order to get them to become members of the RYA to bolster membership and that 5 years is another way of making money from non members?
Yes, of course they are really looking after those of us who need an ICC and are abroad and are sailors.

Its all personal choices, you can sail where ever you want ( at a cost )

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
The RYA (and BSAC) don't decide how long the ICC lasts for, that's down to the treaty establishing the thing.

As regards membership benefits, it's an even better bargain if you have a family membership, as each member of the family gets a freebie. So for us it's about £60 for the membership saving us about £20 when we need to renew. It's also free to get them to issue replacement certificates if they get lost of damaged. As well as supporting the lobbying etc.

Not so, RYA do not have any records from before 2011 I have lost all my certificates
Day skipper VHF Day Skipper theory Costal Skipper .And they do no hare any records going back 45 years from the above date.
What's needed is a class action to recover fees paid to their approved schools and RYA.
I spoke last week to their Certification director ,who said he recognised the problem when he took over in 2011.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Not so, RYA do not have any records from before 2011 I have lost all my certificates
Day skipper VHF Day Skipper theory Costal Skipper .And they do no hare any records going back 45 years from the above date.
What's needed is a class action to recover fees paid to their approved schools and RYA.
I spoke last week to their Certification director ,who said he recognised the problem when he took over in 2011.

Interesting. I lost most of my certificates (including the ICC) when the boat docs took a swim in Barcelona in 2009. I emailed the RYA who responded by sending me a set of paperwork, which asked me to make a series of declarations about the missing it's of paper. I completed them, returned them to the RYA and had duplicate certificates issued within a few days. Hence my confident statement above.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Interesting. I lost most of my certificates (including the ICC) when the boat docs took a swim in Barcelona in 2009. I emailed the RYA who responded by sending me a set of paperwork, which asked me to make a series of declarations about the missing it's of paper. I completed them, returned them to the RYA and had duplicate certificates issued within a few days. Hence my confident statement above.

Lucky you, they may have been looking after the interest of its members in 2009 as it had no records .Not so today now it's more money orientated.
I think the 2011date is the relevant issue.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site

Equally, why should I, as a member, subsidise your sailing? And if you're based abroad why not do the equivalent test in that country? Maybe you would get a longer lasting certificate.

alteredoutlook

Visit site
Ive got mixed thoughts on this:
On the plus side i recently contacted the rya to renew my icc which expired in 2005. Even 12 years late it wasnt a problem.
However, i still harbour bad thoughts about them lobbying the govt about a) being pro water skiing on windermere (they never asked the sailors) b) red diesel for the leisure industry (why should the leisure industry be subsidised?).
However i have to agree with the OP as the icc renewal form is all linked to subscribing annual membership and subsequent automatic renewal. Even when i deliberately opted out of membership to avoid this automatic renewal they came back and said i was given membership. I'll be right p***** off next year if i have to do something to claw back any monies for next years membership.....
I suppose this just falls in line though with the modern and dubious of automatic renewals everywhere from insurance to gym membership ....

wotayottie

Visit site
If you are in the UK you don't need an ICC.

You dont need an ICC anywhere in the EU coastal waters - mutual recognition of qualifications is EU law. We have no compulsory qualifications so EU members have to recognise that.

Not always easy explaining that to an uninformed foreign official but hey ho, you can always insist