The RYA get my back up when it comes to the ICC

Resolution

Visit site
Robin,
I am going to have words about this. You are not supporting the British breakdown services or better driving and should be ashamed of yourselves.

I thought the RAC was a posh gennlemans club in Pall Mall that one's rich uncle took one to when one was a spotty teenager? What kind of British breakdowns do they service?:confused:

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I thought the RAC was a posh gennlemans club in Pall Mall that one's rich uncle took one to when one was a spotty teenager? What kind of British breakdowns do they service?:confused:

Usually the one where the wife is like a hurricane. She rushes into your life and when she leaves she takes half the stately home with her.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, I am ignorant without bounds and nice of you to say so.
It is one reason why I asked this question on here so the enlightened such as yourself can help with my understanding.
Nice of you to take an extract of mine out of context which was a reply to another post but if it makes you look better then you go for it my friend.
My point is that the ICC grant and renewal was given to the RYA by the government. They just seem to have made the price of the renewal the same as the price of joining the RYA which is obviously pure coincidence especially when you get the renewal free if you are a member.
To me this means that if the ICC was actually 43 pounds to produce they would get no membership fees for that year or if the person cancelled membership they would get nothing.
This is obviously not the case as others sell it cheaper as stated.
So in effect it means that us non members are paying way over the odds if we decline to agree to the marketing ploy to get us to join the RYA. So, like it or not we are subsidising the RYA and its members.
I am not and have never said that ICC should be free. I am not trying to freeload. I could say that those members of the RYA are freeloading as they want membership to the RYA and the ICC to be free. Would they join the RYA if the ICC was not free and they had to pay the same as me? I think you would see membership decline.
Looking at it from another point of view why don't the RYA drop the day skippers and give you an ICC instead as that is more widely recognised and would be of more benefit?
Yes, we are paying over the odds for an ICC, yes it is a marketing ploy and yes the RYA make a profit out of it of probably 300% or more.

See also your posts #6,14,32,45 all of which include inaccurate or simply untrue statements.

Don't have any problem with your opinion about the price of the ICC, BUT it is not related to the cost, but like any other transaction it is the value to you that determines that opinion, not what it might or might not cost to produce. If you think it is worth less than the £9 or so a year to you then don't buy it. There is no compulsion - it just makes life easier for some people who need such evidence so that they can continue living their life as they want to.

The RYA is very transparent about the whole affair. It explains the background to the ICC and why some people (not all) find it useful. It makes it clear that it is a benefit to members, but chargeable to non members - what is so wrong with that? It even allows you to "game" the system and save a couple of £'s by only being a member one year in five! Get real, there are more things in life to worry about!

As to writing about factual things, do please do your homework first - we know you are capable - and if you don't understand the structure of the RYA and how it operates, then join and you will find all the information is available. Like any organisation that is funded for some of its activities by government quangos and the Lottery it is obliged to keep those activities entirely separate from members' activities and is accountable to the funders for every penny.

You will also find if you read far enough that much of your freedom to do what you want with your boat even though you are not in the UK relies on the work of the RYA over the years. So, for example you have no compulsory licence requirements, no compulsory equipment requirements, no restrictions on where you can sail your boat, no regular compulsory survey etc. You should ask Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, French etc owners of boats about the requirements their governments place on them before criticising the RYA. Then you might also understand why so many foreigners want their boats registered on the UK register - something you have moaned about in the past. Now you know why. Enjoy your freedom and go without 3 beers a year to have your ICC.

Robin

Visit site
Robin,
I am going to have words about this. You are not supporting the British breakdown services or better driving and should be ashamed of yourselves.

We each have two full licences, one British, one American, mine even has motorbike cover. When we eventually return to the land of civilisation, hopefully very soon, I will be pleased to rejoin the RAC or AA IF ( big IF) we buy a car again rather than simply rent as and when. Looking good for us to relocate to places north in UK and I don't think they will demand my ICC either, nor SWMBO's YM Offshore, unless Scotland stays in the EU maybe.:p:biggrin-new:

Visit site
Other nations issue the ICC. Its a free market. Other sports also get millions each year, it is so that the government don't have to run them, fits in with Mr Cameron's Big Society policy.

I just applied for my ICC yesterday - other nations cannout issue you an ICC if you are a UK national, and vice versa. Home nation only.

capnsensible

Visit site
I just applied for my ICC yesterday - other nations cannout issue you an ICC if you are a UK national, and vice versa. Home nation only.

Not quite. If you are a national of a country that has not signed up to UNECE Rewsolution 40 you can.

Also if you are a foreign national living in the UK.

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/boating-abroad/icc/Pages/who-can-get-an-icc-from-the-rya.aspx

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/boating-abroad/icc/Pages/icc-no.aspx

lpdsn

Visit site

No, you can get one if resident, which between EU countries means being there >183 days a year. Nostradamus could probably apply for a French one if I understand his situation correctly.

Of course, you'd also have to pay tax locally if you accept you are resident.

sailorman

Visit site
No, you can get one if resident, which between EU countries means being there >183 days a year. Nostradamus could probably apply for a French one if I understand his situation correctly.

No doubt he would moan about that too & paint LARGE LETTERS on the boat

Tranona

Visit site

Not sure that is correct. I understand the recent change that allows the RYA to issue iCCs to non citizens is unique to the UK - and took a lot of negotiation to achieve. A key factor in the decision was that the RYA is the major player in the international training space.

lpdsn

Visit site
Not sure that is correct. I understand the recent change that allows the RYA to issue iCCs to non citizens is unique to the UK - and took a lot of negotiation to achieve. A key factor in the decision was that the RYA is the major player in the international training space.

The ISA ICC is available to Irish Citizens and Irish Residents and, IIRC, has been like that for at least a decade, and probably since inception.

Visit site
Not quite. If you are a national of a country that has not signed up to UNECE Rewsolution 40 you can.

Also if you are a foreign national living in the UK.

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/boating-abroad/icc/Pages/who-can-get-an-icc-from-the-rya.aspx

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/boating-abroad/icc/Pages/icc-no.aspx

Agreed - I just didn't think that that level of pernickety detail ;) was necessary to make the point that it isn't a "free market", where you can just choose an issuer, as stated in the post I quoted.