The Riddle of the Sands...

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I have found someone who I think is as good as the Hornblower books,and I have read Kent and O'Brian.
Richard Woodman has written 14 books about his character Nathaniel Drinkwater.I got most of mine from charity shops etc and a few from Amazon.

Of all the four mentioned, O'Brian comes top in terms of period authenticity, I think. Forester probably knew enough about it to be as authentic, but I suspect that because he was effectively re-creating the genre that Marryat started, he couldn't spend too much time on the technical details! But Forester's research into the arcane subject of submarine recovery techniques in the 18th century is obviously very careful (HMS Atropos). But he paints a very restricted picture of the social life of the late 18th and early 19th centuries compared with O'Brian; Hornblower is presented as a remote and isolated person.

Of course, O'Brien's Aubrey and Maturin series are excellent. But for a good read about an earlier period of naval history,O'Brian's "The Golden Ocean" and "The Unknown Shore" paint an interesting and well-researched picture of Anson's expedition.

No-one has mentioned Marryat - who WAS an officer in the Napoleonic Wars! "Midshipman Easy" is a good exciting read, "Peter Simple" is similar but more serious and more concerned with social injustices. It goes without saying that Marryat got the technical stuff right; the only problem is that it was still "how things are done" when he wrote, so he doesn't explain things as a modern author might. Marryat was politically concerned with the reformation of the navy (he campaigned against the use of corporal punishment), so it is worth remembering that his books are written to illustrate ideals rather than reality; some of his officers are a bit too good to be true (though, as pretty much EVERY such author does, he used Cochrane as a model). Marryat does sometimes drop into sermonizing, but at his best he is excellent. And his satirical description of some of the loonier ideas of the early 19th century are a scream - if you think that Terry Pratchett invented "retrophrenology", then Midshipman Easy will have you in stitches towards the end!

Euphonyx

Visit site
The Caine Mutiny - Herman Wouk
Three Corvettes -Monsarrat
Das Boot - Buchheim

Childers was a bit of a mystery. Churchill clearly hated him. The Irish (on both sides of the civil war by the way) in the end, abandoned him. He did end up on the wrong side... His own side, and thoroughly isolated. Great book though!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Not a ripping yarn, but for anyone inclined to mulling things over I'd thoroughly recommend 'Passage to Juneau' by Jonathon Raban.

Ostensibly about a single-handed voyage from Seattle to Alaska, it manages to seamlessly weave history, anthropology, life, the universe and everything into a thought provoking and readable (and re-readable) whole.

Poignard

Visit site
'Narrative of the Circumnavigation of the Globe by the Austrian Frigate Novara', Volumes 1-3 (Commodore B. Von Wullerstorf-Urbair,) Undertaken by Order of the Imperial Government in the Years 1857, 1858, & 1859. Under the Immediate Auspices of His I. and R. Highness the Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, Commander-In-Chief of the Austrian Navy.

This is available as an e-book, free of charge, from Project Gutenberg. Despite the bizarre title this is a fascinating account of a voyage round the world in a sailing frigate.

I was surprised to learn that Austria had a Navy but no reason why they shouldn't, I suppose.

machurley22

Visit site
richardabeattie
For Pete's sake why has nobody mentioned O'Brian!
because they are carp
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here David and suggest that you have made a hasty judgement completely out of character with your normally well-balanced view of the world.

Give O'Brian another chance and try to pay more attention this time. :)

"One of the greatest cycles of story-telling in the English language."

"The greatest historical novelist of modern times."

"Jane Austen sur mer."

"..staggering erudition.."

"..achieve effortlessly the recreation of the consciousness and sensibility of the period."

"..a brilliant observer."

etc.

Not to mention the sailing and the fact that it is laugh-out-loud hilarious at times.

One man's meat is another man's poison and each to his own of course.

Last edited:

Topcat47

Visit site
I met the guy in Whale Island many years ago. A strange man. Starred in his books, many of which were accused of being fiction (Tristan Jones that is....). Fact or fiction, they're a good read.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Not a ripping yarn, but for anyone inclined to mulling things over I'd thoroughly recommend 'Passage to Juneau' by Jonathon Raban.

Ostensibly about a single-handed voyage from Seattle to Alaska, it manages to seamlessly weave history, anthropology, life, the universe and everything into a thought provoking and readable (and re-readable) whole.
I'd second that

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
A most terrible affliction

about 15 years ago I realised that I had found it increasingly difficult to finish novels

I would get 150 pages in and decide that it was all make believe

books with true stuff in are wonderful and I am very happy to read history books

but I used to love getting stuckj into a novel and living the narrative

now the only time I can finish a novel is if I have a week or more on the boat

I am not proud

I am very sad that this has happened to me

what I need is a support group and some sort of therapy

Dylan

Last edited:

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
about 15 years ago I realised that I had found it increasingly difficult to finish novels

books with true stuff in are wonderful and I am very happy to read history books

I am not proud

I am very sad that this has happened to mewhat I need is a support group and some sort of therapy

Dylan

Oh Woe!
I have a similar problem, but of a different vein, and oh so more worrying.
I used to read all sorts of books (novels, factual, history etc) and could remember instantly if I had read the book before, even if the title/cover had changed.
Now, sadly I can be well into a book before it becomes familiar. 150 pages is about right. The little grey cells are wandering off like maggots spilled from my fishing-bait tin.
But the GOOD point is that I can now re-read books and enjoy them again, in ignorant bliss.
Sooo Dylan, old/young chap, look forward to digging-out your old favourites and enjoying yourself.;):)
No charge for the therapy............

pete

Visit site
Slightly different but being diver, being interested in naval history and having been to Scapa flow around 12 times now I think that "The man who bought a navy" by Gerald Bowman must be my first choice. Tells how a team lift and salvage the German High seas fleet using anything that was available on a shoestring budget making it up as the went along.

Pete

chinita

Visit site
Oh Woe!
I have a similar problem, but of a different vein, and oh so more worrying.
I used to read all sorts of books (novels, factual, history etc) and could remember instantly if I had read the book before, even if the title/cover had changed.
Now, sadly I can be well into a book before it becomes familiar.

Same thing happens to me .......but with films.

I get really peeved when I buy a film on DVD, start watching it and realise after about 45 minutes that i have seen it before.

The other night we were watching 'Iceberg' on the box. After 10 minutes I said to SWMBO 'I wish they would not just repeat highlights from the first episode and get on with the next episode'. She replied 'This is a repeat of the first episode' :eek::eek::eek:

NickRobinson

Visit site
Slightly different but being diver, being interested in naval history and having been to Scapa flow around 12 times now I think that "The man who bought a navy" by Gerald Bowman must be my first choice. Tells how a team lift and salvage the German High seas fleet using anything that was available on a shoestring budget making it up as the went along.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jutland-Junkyard-S-C-George/dp/1843410109

Pete

Another book on the same subject, loads of amazing pics- I'm not a diver but the idea of being inside an inverted battleship 100 feet down under pressure then riding it to the surface in a few seconds is.... words fail-

N

pete

Visit site
Another book on the same subject, loads of amazing pics- I'm not a diver but the idea of being inside an inverted battleship 100 feet down under pressure then riding it to the surface in a few seconds is.... words fail-

N

Hi Nick

I have read that one as well, it has better pictures but I prefer the story as told by Bowman :)

Pete

bluesail

Visit site
Uffa,his life.

Uffa,is life. info by his daughter,ghost written after he died,amazing story,amazing man,just googled it but no listing. borrowed it from fareham lib. some years ago so it must exist.cheers, bluesail.

bikedaft

Visit site
Uffa,is life. info by his daughter,ghost written after he died,amazing story,amazing man,just googled it but no listing. borrowed it from fareham lib. some years ago so it must exist.cheers, bluesail.

Uffa Fox, A Personal Biography by June Dixon (1978) ?

abe books have some, and amazon.com

Q

quimby

You are not alone!:)

I am not proud

I am very sad that this has happened to me

what I need is a support group and some sort of therapy

Dylan