The new Apple chartplotter

cimota

Visit site
The model with 3G & GPS is only £499 (£100 more than without) but remember that they still sell 1st gen devices and the resale Market is very healthy. My next purchase (after a lifejacket) is a waterproof pouch.

The PROBLEM with the iPad as a chart plotter is the screen. In sunlight it is difficult. But then again the two chart plotters I have seen already had awful screens so YMMV.

I have the Navionics app. No idea how to use it, like.

svaha

Visit site
Hi
I have the avionics on my pod. It crashes and hangs very regularly! It's far from being ready to use at sea, but safe enough from my armchair!

M.

Jamesuk

Visit site
Looks like the 3g models have GPS, but they may be closer to £800. Not sure I would want to be using my smart looking expensive iPad in the rough environment of a wet cockpit in a F6.

Just get a cheap, (£300 or so), plotter for using on he boat, on deck.

£150 Netbook with £30 waterproof GPS receiver (USB) and £20 Navionics Med software and away you go.

There are waterproof cases but keep it down below. There is also tablets available for £100 with USB sticks use Ubuntu OS to save money.

oldvarnish

Visit site
Hi
I have the avionics on my pod. It crashes and hangs very regularly! It's far from being ready to use at sea, but safe enough from my armchair!

M.

I've got a Navionics app on the ipad. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Some but not all data appears, other times not.
Found it impossible to get any reply from them.
No more Navionics on ipad for me.