The inevitable antifoul question (sorry)

Seagreen

Visit site
Hi all.
I'm looking for a high copper content antifoul that can be applied between tides. I've read the PBO article, done lots of looking about, but due to having a really really bad cold, cannot process the information that well.
I've also come to the grim yet inevitable conclusion that no antifoul really works that well anymore (no matter how much chilli powder gets mixed with it), excepting sheet copper (its an old wooden boat so epoxy solutions won't work). Sheet copper will eventually be deployed, I hope, but until then, I'm still one of the over-tide scrubbing brigade.
TIA.
Mac

pvb

Visit site
Applying between tides won't allow you to get the best results from whichever antifoul you choose. If you accept this, then for a high copper content you need to look for high specific gravity figures and high volume of solids figures. I use International Micron 2, which has SG 1.9 and 60% volume of solids. It lasts for 2 full years of constant immersion for my boat, but I do apply it in accordance with International's recommendations.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I use Gaelforce own brand antifouling, cheap as chips, slap it on and no better no worse than any other boat at haul out time.

However, I am going to change antifouling tack this year and after the pressure wash intend to lightly sand the, layers and layers of, antifouling and see what happens next summer, if that means I need to give her bum a scrub mid season then so be it.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Hi all.
I'm looking for a high copper content antifoul that can be applied between tides. I've read the PBO article, done lots of looking about, but due to having a really really bad cold, cannot process the information that well.
I've also come to the grim yet inevitable conclusion that no antifoul really works that well anymore (no matter how much chilli powder gets mixed with it), excepting sheet copper (its an old wooden boat so epoxy solutions won't work). Sheet copper will eventually be deployed, I hope, but until then, I'm still one of the over-tide scrubbing brigade.
TIA.
Mac

The best AF to use is one that works in YOUR area, no matter what anyone says here. There is a huge difference in effectiveness by location, where I an in West Mersea, it even depends which creek you are moored in...

Quandary

Visit site
I have used the 'Gaelforce' stuff, you can also buy it as 'Flag' it is cheap and stays on but loses its colour very rapidly. With a boat kept a lot of the time in fresh water it does the job, might not be so good in a more challenging environment. Like most things you tend to get what you pay for. 'Shogun' is better but twice the price but here I might get two seasons out of it.
The perception that the Japanese stuff might work better because they don't give two fecks for the environment is probably out of date, Shogun has been Dutch now for decades?

I tend to lift the tins to compare in the hope that copper content and weight might be related?

Last edited: