The Horse Sand can catch you out

Gargleblaster

Visit site
There seem to be a lot of Horse Sands on the East Coast. I have spent an unpleasant night on the one in the Swale. And easily so far avoided the one in the Crouch. As I have avoided the one in the Deben on the two occassions I have managed the entrance - always seem to have an offshore wind.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
There seem to be a lot of Horse Sands on the East Coast. I have spent an unpleasant night on the one in the Swale. And easily so far avoided the one in the Crouch. As I have avoided the one in the Deben on the two occassions I have managed the entrance - always seem to have an offshore wind.
We've got a Horse Sand on the Stour as well. It's one of those names, like 'Stone Point', that crop up everywhere on the East coast, and can cause confusion when the location isn't specified.

shanemax

Visit site
Why don't the powers that be put two black balls right in the middle or cardinal marks. That way you would check your chart or chart plotter to see what they were trying to draw your attention to. It is not rocket science.
When my children were younger they loved playing on that sand bank. We used to go by dinghy. There were all sorts of shells and star fish.

shanemax

Visit site
It is quite big when it dries out completely. The picture does not show the size, and pure soft sand. I hope the people on the boat had a BBQ

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Why don't the powers that be put two black balls right in the middle or cardinal marks. That way you would check your chart or chart plotter to see what they were trying to draw your attention to. It is not rocket science.
When my children were younger they loved playing on that sand bank. We used to go by dinghy. There were all sorts of shells and star fish.
If somebody sails in to an unfamiliar river (especially one like the Deben) without looking at a paper chart or plotter, then they can only blame themselves if they go aground. It shouldn't fall to the 'powers that be' to spoon feed them some common sense. There are plenty of moorings around the shoal patch; the fact there's a sizeable area without any should raise an eyebrow, whether of not it's marked by buoyage.

As for Horse Sand, it's a great place for exploring and has lots of clay pipes hidden in the sand. Not sure why they'd be there, but makes for great fun with the kids.

shanemax

Visit site
You are not spoon feeding any one by pointing out a potential hazard. Once you get past the initial entry to the Deben, you are inclined to lower your guard. With your attitude why not take away all the buoyage at the entrance and boaters can come in very slowly with a chart on their lap also swinging a lead over the side with some rope to measure the depth. I
recon all your charts are up to date and you have never run aground.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
You are not spoon feeding any one by pointing out a potential hazard. Once you get past the initial entry to the Deben, you are inclined to lower your guard. With your attitude why not take away all the buoyage at the entrance and boaters can come in very slowly with a chart on their lap also swinging a lead over the side with some rope to measure the depth. I
recon all your charts are up to date and you have never run aground.
You've missed the point.... The entrance to the Deben is not immediately obvious, and it can change year-on-year. The presence of Horse Sand IS obvious and there are several physical clues that, in themselves, provide all the buoyage anyone with some common sense needs.

As for my charts.... Yes, I have charts for most of the UK and I keep them all up-to-date.

Going aground? Happened to me loads of times on the east coast, usually through pushing my luck. I'm sure it'll happen again too.....

Frayed Knot

Visit site
I totally agree that people should take a degree of responsibility for themselves; what next - central keep-right markers for a two way traffic system over the bar? 😂
As a side note; I haven’t seen a boat on there for years, now - it used to be an almost every summer weekend event before plotters etc.
In those days the harbour master was kept quite busy towing visiting yachts off, I think at a charge of £25.
Asked if he got bored in the winter he said not - he was too busy topping up the sand…

shanemax

Visit site
We all have a moment of lack of concentration, you turn around and find the boat is off course or you are in shallower water than you expected. Two cheap plastic red buoys would GUIDE boaters through a potential
hazard. Suddenly the Deben opens out dramatically and right in the middle is an unmarked sand bank. If it was off the coast it would be marked .If the smallest commercial ship enterer the deben it would be marked. It has obviously been a pain in the arse for years because there are wreck signs and obstructions signs with in meters of this sand bank.

Aquaboy

Visit site
I came out of the Deben at low water friday morning, noticed what appeared to be a large bulk of timber half buried in the highest part of the sand on my way past.

I maybe miss remembering but I think there was a port hand bouy about half way along in days gone by..?

tillergirl

Visit site
Well everything changes. In 1981 there was a red can marking the Horse Sand NORTH of the sand. The way in, east of the Horse Sand, was obvious in those days because there was a line of moorings on the east side of the Horse and still there in 2005.

Last edited:

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I'm struggling a little with the argument for more bouyage as I've always found the route in and out to be pretty clear cut and even for a first timer it is very ulilely to be through all the moorings on the west side (even if there is a spot in the middle of the moorings which is boat free.... I wonder why...) The ECP charlet for the entrace includes the Horse Sand and is also quite clear in this regard.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
We all have a moment of lack of concentration, you turn around and find the boat is off course or you are in shallower water than you expected. Two cheap plastic red buoys would GUIDE boaters through a potential
hazard. Suddenly the Deben opens out dramatically and right in the middle is an unmarked sand bank. If it was off the coast it would be marked .If the smallest commercial ship enterer the deben it would be marked. It has obviously been a pain in the arse for years because there are wreck signs and obstructions signs with in meters of this sand bank.
With so many signs, why the need for buoys ?

Horse sand is very clearly shown on charts and plotters, one simply has to look.

Adequate passage planning, pilotage and watch keeping make the Deben a doddle, as with pretty much everywhere else.

shanemax

Visit site
Perhaps I am missing some thing. There is buoyage at the entrance to the river, there is loads of buoyage further up the river but nothing to draw attention to this big sand bank. So you have sailed over from Holland, entered the river carefully studying your chart plotter and got up as far as Woodbridge following all the red can buoys. You then turn around and follow all the red can buoys back and when you can see Bawdsey you run slap bang into a sandbank covered by 2" water. It does not make any sense to me why this hazard is unmarked

Other threads that may be of interest