The final Count Down - circa 3 months to go

oGaryo

Visit site
Hi everyone, I am conscious with the new job taking much of my time that I am not driving this one as energetically as I should in relation to the final arrangements for the ride so I thought I'd make a list of things that need to be sorted ahead of the 6th June..

• Arrange the Beer and Natter - top priority :) :) :) does anyone fancy taking this on?
  • Finalise the route
  • Sort out a disclaimer letter - all riders need to sign up to doing the ride at their own risk as we won't have insurance
  • Pull together a guide to the ride - what to take, guidance on how to get home after the ride, what to eat etc
  • Finalise the start and finish arrangement with MDL
  • Agree the groups of riders - I'll post something on that shortly
  • Get the posters and banners designed and produced
  • Likewise, have some T Shirts made up for the riders and supporters to wear

And finally, induce some energy behind the fund raising, the second most important aspect after the Beer and Natter :) We've some ways to go to hit the desired £5K target, have we set the bar too high????

Please let Paul, Howard and I know if we've missed anything crucial to the success of the ride.

cheers Gary

P4Paul

Visit site
Hi everyone, I am conscious with the new job taking much of my time that I am not driving this one as energetically as I should in relation to the final arrangements for the ride so I thought I'd make a list of things that need to be sorted ahead of the 6th June..

• Arrange the Beer and Natter - top priority :) :) :) does anyone fancy taking this on?
  • Finalise the route
  • Sort out a disclaimer letter - all riders need to sign up to doing the ride at their own risk as we won't have insurance
  • Pull together a guide to the ride - what to take, guidance on how to get home after the ride, what to eat etc
  • Finalise the start and finish arrangement with MDL
  • Agree the groups of riders - I'll post something on that shortly
  • Get the posters and banners designed and produced
  • Likewise, have some T Shirts made up for the riders and supporters to wear

And finally, induce some energy behind the fund raising, the second most important aspect after the Beer and Natter :) We've some ways to go to hit the desired £5K target, have we set the bar too high????

Please let Paul, Howard and I know if we've missed anything crucial to the success of the ride.

cheers Gary

Just to confirm that in my head £5k is the minimum, luckily I have never failed at anything in my life and I certainly don't intend to start now although raising the money currently feels harder than the ride itself...

Like everyone else, Kerry and I are flat out at work but we would be happy to take on organising the beer and natter at Ocean Village if it helps.

oGaryo

Visit site
Just to confirm that in my head £5k is the minimum, luckily I have never failed at anything in my life and I certainly don't intend to start now although raising the money currently feels harder than the ride itself...

Like everyone else, Kerry and I are flat out at work but we would be happy to take on organising the beer and natter at Ocean Village if it helps.

Paul and Kerry, congratulations, you've got the job ;) Looking forward to the first Beer and Natter of 2015 already :) Maybe start a new thread to get things moving when you're ready in the mobo & Scuttle B sections?

superheat6k

Visit site
Happy also to get involved with organising the Beer & Natter, and I have the advantage of being local.

Is the vote for the gathering to be at Ocean Village, as venues are possibly a bit limited.

The Old Ship at Swanwick has proven effective, but also the following could be worth checking out ...

Admiral Curtis at entrance to OV
Bananawharf, but full of air heads on a Saturday night
Cooper Arms by Shamrock Quay, but a bit rough
Possibly Royal Southampton Yacht Club also at OV
Waters Edge at Mercury - this is also an MDL venue and some forumites home berth too
Ferry Restaurant at the Elephant Yard, Bursledon (Mermaid Yard fame on Howards Way)

Does everyone want to eat, or is preference to drink only ?

What about a buffet

P4Paul

Visit site
Happy also to get involved with organising the Beer & Natter, and I have the advantage of being local.

Is the vote for the gathering to be at Ocean Village, as venues are possibly a bit limited.

The Old Ship at Swanwick has proven effective, but also the following could be worth checking out ...

Admiral Curtis at entrance to OV
Bananawharf, but full of air heads on a Saturday night
Cooper Arms by Shamrock Quay, but a bit rough
Possibly Royal Southampton Yacht Club also at OV
Waters Edge at Mercury - this is also an MDL venue and some forumites home berth too
Ferry Restaurant at the Elephant Yard, Bursledon (Mermaid Yard fame on Howards Way)

Does everyone want to eat, or is preference to drink only ?

What about a buffet

More than happy to step aside and for you organise the Beer and Natter.

Gary, what else can Kerry and I do to help you?

rafiki_

Visit site
For me, the most important thing is for everyone to focus on generating sponsorship. The rest will come together. Gary and I are going to meet up on 9th March, and we will put a task list together, then as for volunteers. The disclaimers letter is drafted, I just need to gloss this up when back from Korea. If anyone else is around to hook up in Westminster on 9 th then I will be happy to organise.

superheat6k

Visit site
More than happy to step aside and for you organise the Beer and Natter.

Gary, what else can Kerry and I do to help you?
Can I have some feedback on location preferences please.

Or shall I go public on the open forums for this - good opportunity also to generate some fresh interest in the ride and sponsorship.

P4Paul

Visit site
Can I have some feedback on location preferences please.

Or shall I go public on the open forums for this - good opportunity also to generate some fresh interest in the ride and sponsorship.

My initial thoughts were to have a word with Mrs Zippy and see what opportunities there were for a BBQ at Ocean Village. I have to admit that while we berth in Swanwick, I have never been into Ocean Village so I have no idea of the options available.
We intend taking Hunros round to Ocean Village so we have somewhere to dump our bikes and gear when we finish mainly because being honest, I can't see myself wanting to think about getting across to Swanwick after 6 or 7 hours riding, especially on my current saddle... :)

Of course I can only speak for myself and others may think differently.

superheat6k

Visit site
I will check out possible venues at OV. I will work on around 40 attending, bearing in mind there are 21 riders so that should be easily achieved.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I will check out possible venues at OV. I will work on around 40 attending, bearing in mind there are 21 riders so that should be easily achieved.

Our sailing club has run a couple of rallies to Ocean Village the last two seasons. The Pitcher and Piano had no trouble catering for a group of 20 and they seem to have room for more.

superheat6k

Visit site
Venue update

OV

Banawharf can't accomodate us due to lack of space

Pitcher & Piano can set us an area aside for drinks and have offered a Canape Buffet, for which forward deposit is required. But they can't do sit down for dining for the number who could turn up. Deposit / commitment for same could be difficult, but I can see how flexible they can be. They might accept a nominal deposit, which I am happy to stump up for on the assumption all the attendees will cough appropriately

Perhaps a buffet may allow for more mingling, although there will be some tired legs wanting chairs !

Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis TBA

White Star Tavern (Oxford St 5 mins walk) TBA

Oxford St Pubs & Restaurants get very busy on a Saturday night. My view woud be a Marina location is better

River Hamble area

The Old Ship Swanwick (prior venue) Yes with sit down for food

The Waters Edge Mercury Yes with sit down for food and dogs can go in to the conservatory area / veranda balcony

The Boathouse Swanwick Marina TBA

As the event finishes at OV it makes sense to meet up there, however, I would like some feedback from the riders as to final option to choose. I will update futther on the other venues as and when I get some response.

oGaryo

Visit site
Venue update

OV

Banawharf can't accomodate us due to lack of space

Pitcher & Piano can set us an area aside for drinks and have offered a Canape Buffet, for which forward deposit is required. But they can't do sit down for dining for the number who could turn up. Deposit / commitment for same could be difficult, but I can see how flexible they can be. They might accept a nominal deposit, which I am happy to stump up for on the assumption all the attendees will cough appropriately

Perhaps a buffet may allow for more mingling, although there will be some tired legs wanting chairs !

Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis TBA

White Star Tavern (Oxford St 5 mins walk) TBA

Oxford St Pubs & Restaurants get very busy on a Saturday night. My view woud be a Marina location is better

River Hamble area

The Old Ship Swanwick (prior venue) Yes with sit down for food

The Waters Edge Mercury Yes with sit down for food and dogs can go in to the conservatory area / veranda balcony

The Boathouse Swanwick Marina TBA

As the event finishes at OV it makes sense to meet up there, however, I would like some feedback from the riders as to final option to choose. I will update futther on the other venues as and when I get some response.

good work Trev :encouragement:

I've also pinged a couple of emails off into internet world.. one to La Margharita and tuther to the grande cafe'... I've asked both if they'd entertain no charge for their venues and a discount for the meals and drinks with a proportion of that discount going to the BHF... you don't ask, you don't get so to speak.

I'll also pop an email into Debbie Burns and Dean Smith of MDL to see if they can come up with something, possibly a word in the ears of the RSYC on our behalf.

minimal effort on my part to do so but may open a door for you to walk through so to speak.

cheers Gary