The added value of thrusters

prv

Visit site
I've never known a bow thruster assisted arrival to be graceful, usually it's the exact opposite with a lot of cavitation noise.

By graceful I guess I mean an absence of cockups rather than elegant silence.

As long as no boats are in danger in case of misjudgement, sailing into berths or on & off moorings is something to be encouraged, and when it all works out is a joy to behold.

On and off moorings, absolutely - I didn't mention that because I'd consider it a perfectly normal activity, not something practiced (or not) in case of emergency. Sailing onto an alongside berth like a wall or long pontoon is less usual, but still reasonably practical in many cases. I was specifically referring to marina berths, typically individual fingers surrounded by other boats, up a long and sometimes winding approach route not much wider than a boat-length. I would consider it highly unusual to sail into such a berth.

Pete

Tranona

Visit site
I was specifically referring to marina berths, typically individual fingers surrounded by other boats, up a long and sometimes winding approach route not much wider than a boat-length. I would consider it highly unusual to sail into such a berth.

Pete

Sailing into berths in most marinas is banned - for obvious reasons.

You have to accept that with tightly packed berths and big boats with lots of windage and often little in the way of keel, bow thrusters are essential for safety. Indeed Jeanneau have invested heavily in steerable saildrives and linked bow thrusters on their bigger (40ft+) boats. Option at the moment but if successful, price will come down and they will become standard.

While manoeuvering under sail is a desirable skill anything that helps safe handling in confined situations has to be good.

The question for this thread was whether a bow thruster was necessary on a 31 foot boat, not whether they were a "good thing" per se - and clearly for some boats they are beneficial and for others almost essential.

Norman_E

Visit site
Although I have suggested to the OP to spend his hard earned elsewhere, I suggest that if he intends to sail in the Med, where you moor stern to, he might find one useful. I have one on a 45 foot yacht, and always try to berth without it, but I do always turn its master switch on beforehand, so that I can use it in need.

Slight thread drift, but I have wondered why it took the makers so long to come up with steerable saildrives. The first time I saw a saildrive at a boatshow I asked the salesman if it could be swivelled to steer the boat. It just seemed such an obvious thing to do.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
The question for this thread was whether a bow thruster was necessary on a 31 foot boat, not whether they were a "good thing" per se - and clearly for some boats they are beneficial and for others almost essential.

No, the question was whether having a thruster fitted would be reflected in any subsequent resale price.

Tranona

Visit site
No, the question was whether having a thruster fitted would be reflected in any subsequent resale price.

Yes, you are of course right, but it was qualified by making reference to a particular boat. That was really the point I was trying to make - whether the question is about usefulness or monetary value it has to be considered in the context of the boat.

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
Presumably, if the bow-thruster fails, they just make a slightly less graceful arrival, or pick an easier berth if the normal one is so tricky it can't be done without the thruster. How many people practice sailing onto marina berths in case their engine conks out?

Pete

I don't have a bow thruster and don't believe it would make any difference if I did as I don't think I could get deep enough to be effective. So I always motor onto/off a marina berth using the traditional 'springs' method; regarless of wind or tide, 9 times out of 10 this works very well, and it looks cool as the bow thruster crowd normally c ock it up somehow when the wind is blowing or there is a good tide running. ;-)

If the engine fails then it's going to be a stressfull time for a while as SWMBO and I exchange ideas on how quick the dingy can be launched and the get the kids ashore with lines to help us in! I have actually towed my boat (rowing) with the dingy before now in Palermo when fuel filter got an airlock!

The thought of getting up a sail in a hurry in a marina and sailing 15tons of GRP onto a bow or stern to mooring doesn't enter my head let alone sailing it onto a finger pontoon in a crowded marina.

We do often sail to and off anchor though, does that count?

prv

Visit site
The thought of getting up a sail in a hurry in a marina and sailing 15tons of GRP onto a bow or stern to mooring doesn't enter my head let alone sailing it onto a finger pontoon in a crowded marina.

Quite.

Seajet was suggesting that anyone with a thruster should practice getting into their berth without it just in case it fails. My point was that since people generally don't do the equivalent practice with a failed engine (and nor am I saying they should) then there's no real need for thrusterless practice either.

Pete

WF36

Visit site
We have a BT on our Bavaria 30C, had it fitted when boat was spec'd up from new.

As most have said, rarely need it, but when you do its a good safety net.

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
I have to say I'm with those who question the value of a thruster on this sort of boat. Frankly, and no offence to the original poster, I find the idea almost laughable. I often sail with a friend, not very experienced, on a Bavaria 32, almost identical to a 30C I think and although he has only quite limited experience as a boat handler he is now managing perfectly well without, despite having a fairly awkward berth to get in and out of.

I suppose some people might buy a Bav30c with a thruster in preference to a plain one but whether it would add to the value or saleability I could not say.

Talulah

Visit site
One thing I would add is that a lot of people use my boat who haven't built up a great deal of experience. Hence bow thruster gives me piece of mind when others onboard.
Personally, I can spin the boat clockwise on the spot without the thruster but anti-clockwise can be hell.

Getting back to the OP. I wouldn't fit a bow thruster to help sell the boat. You wouldn't recoup the money.
Would it make the boat more attractive to a punter. For a first time buyer I think the answer is 'yes'. For a buyer with history then 'no'. I think it would be a long way down the list on such a small boat.

Last edited:

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
Cdogg, I would fit a bow thruster if I was you, as one makes life easier. If at the end of a long day, you're faced with a difficult berth to get into, then it's a relief to have something to make things easier.

We go sailing for enjoyment, not as part of some sort of test to see how clever you are.

cdogg

Visit site
Cdogg, I would fit a bow thruster if I was you, as one makes life easier. If at the end of a long day, you're faced with a difficult berth to get into, then it's a relief to have something to make things easier.

We go sailing for enjoyment, not as part of some sort of test to see how clever you are.

My sentiments exactly, thank you.
Cdogg

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com

None of 'don't fit it' people are trying to prove how clever they are, are they?

People use different methods and depending on where andwhen you started sailing (e.g before thrusters became the norm) you use different methods to moor up. I like using springs as it's what I'm used to and it's a good skill to have. My children have learned how to spring on and off moorings as well so the skill is being passed on.

As for the value of fitting one on the OP's boat, I don't think it's worth it really - as said fitting a new cooker is better value.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I'm now having second thoughts about AllBoat Services of Plymouth.
Took the money out of my account a week ago but haven't yet dispatched the goods.
Appreciate they were busy at the show but if you have the time to take the money then you must make sure you have the time to dispatch the goods.
They have said they will dispatch this week.

Tell them you wish to cancel the order - it'll be with you tomorrow :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sailfree

Visit site
If you add up the total of money spent on repairs I suspect about 50% will be due to berthing errors.

IMHO a bowthruster is a get out of jail card to a expert hemsman and an asset to a less experienced one. They are necessary on smaller boats with long keels as they often have small rudders and are unpredictable when going astern. A friend with a Rustler 36 tried the macho bit for 2 years before fitting a bowthruster to much relief of the rest of the boat owners in his marina.

I never had one on my 36, or 38AWB but there were a few times on the 38 when it would have benefited. I have one on my 43 but always try to berth without using it.

On a smaller boat few would need one but ignoring the macho bullsh it some don't get out on their boats as often as they would like and hence don't get the practise - its a pity that some seem to have difficulty accepting thing like that in their own arrogance. Some can berth a boat under sail (I had to learn that for my YM) but I prefer any boat berthing alongside me to have as many advantages as possible to berth without damaging my boat so if you need it use a bowthruster.

wrt your original question I don't think many would consider one on a circa 30 AWB necessary or an asset but if you find it helps - get one.

Boathook

Visit site
If you can't get a 31' boat berthed you need to go back to clown school:

-

Totally disagree.
29ft Cat with a bow thruster. Only have a single outboard and in any wind the bows just blow off hence I fitted the b/t. Try not to use it though.

edit - not to sure whether it would added to the sale price and not bothered as I fitted for me!

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
I have had a 28' long-keeled boat for 14 years and it is impossible to steer it astern. So far, I have only inflicted some trifling damage on two boats, whose owners were more than happy to be compensated with a bottle of good whisky apiece.

Although I have managed without a bow-thruster, and I would not go to the trouble and expense of fitting one, I can think of some occasions when I would not have been too proud to use one, had the boat had one; even if only to save the bother of turning the boat round in her berth or laying out a kedge.

If other people want them - good luck to them. If it's acceptable to have auxiliary engines, echo sounders, radar, AIS, fridges, flushing heads, electric lighting, guard-rails, electric dinghy pumps, gps etc. then why is it wrong to have a bow-thruster?

Live and let live.

dash300

Visit site
There are obviously certain boats in certain locations where a Bow thruster would be of great assistance. Having cruised a friends Luxemotor at 70 ft plus you are at the mercy of cross winds/current without one and there would be no shame in using one.
However if you have ever experienced a Thames Lock you would be deafened by the cachophony of bow thrusters and stern thrusters as small plastic boats with worried faced skippers come alongside - even twin engine outfits.
I for one can't stand the things but there are plenty who see them as a necessity.