The added value of thrusters

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Just a reminder - the original question...

What is the general view on the added value/attraction on resale of a yacht professionally fitted with a bow thruster (31' modern yacht)?

I believe the cost of a thruster is around £3500 fitted. Although I wouldn't necessarily fit one expecting to recoup the expense on selling, but does it make the yacht more attractive against others when selling?

Not should I have one, not am I a useless boat hander, not can you manage without a bowthruster, but the likely effect on the resale value and the perceived attractiveness vs. an unbowthrusted equivalent.

fireball

Visit site
My sentiments exactly, thank you.
Cdogg

Good - glad you can see through the ignorant reply ...

My view of your orig question would be "no" ... it won't add the value that it costs to install - some will view with negativity - others with a more positive light.

However, if you find it hard to berth without one then it could be sensible to get some instruction and then practice ...

btw - you should've seen my aborted attempt at berthing on Friday ... abysmal! .. a BT would've got me out of it ;)

yodave

Visit site
Well for what it's worth I bought a 32 footer earlier this year with a bow thruster. We looked at many examples of the same boat without bow thrusters and to be honest (as novice sailors in our first season), it has been a boon, a real gelcoat and face-saver ...a great ace to have up our sleeves.

As a newbie I see real value in having a bow thruster, and any boat that I might purchase in the future will have one. Although there is a cost attached, surely there has to be value in making your boat more saleable when buyers are comparing your yacht against another example of the same model.

I can't see how it would reduce the value of your boat, so surely it's about trying to quantify/justify the upside?

RobF

Visit site
Just a reminder - the original question...

Not should I have one, not am I a useless boat hander, not can you manage without a bowthruster, but the likely effect on the resale value and the perceived attractiveness vs. an unbowthrusted equivalent.

Couldn't agree more.

IMHO. Added value of B/T = dubious, although some potential owners might see it as a USP.

I've always tried to adopt the philosophy that any upgrade I do to my boat should be for my own benefit and not a bargaining chip for the next buyer. Clearly there are some exceptions (standing rigging, engine, sails etc) where they can be used as part of the sales package.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
What is the general view on the added value/attraction on resale of a yacht professionally fitted with a bow thruster (31' modern yacht)?

I believe the cost of a thruster is around £3500 fitted. Although I wouldn't necessarily fit one expecting to recoup the expense on selling, but does it make the yacht more attractive against others when selling?
Compliete waste of money....have you ever needed one.

Sailfree

Visit site
Generally any extra money spent on a boat for extras , cars or houses are unrecoverable on resale - they may add to the desirability and ease of sale.

Now I am sure someone will quote the TV favourite of refurbishing a house by spending some 50-100k and making a profit on it but this is often at a time of rising house prices and return on money invested v risk involved is rarely considered.

sighmoon

Visit site
... a sailor should be approaching a berth without relying on a handfull of reverse at the last minute
Not sure that's always possible - if you have gusty crosswind stuffing up your planned approach, don't you need enough way on so the keel doesn't stall? How do you stop otherwise?

I have wanted a bow thruster for fleeting moments, which we got out of OK (though perhaps gracelessly) without anyway. I wouldn't really want one though as I wouldn't want to take the hit in sailing performance.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Amazed at some of the replies - why would you care less what someone else has decided to fit to their boat - never mind call it foolish? Some people need to get out more.

As to the OP's post - I think it adds almost nothing to the value. If you were comparing identical boats sure - but when do we get to do that? There's always big differences in a whole range of kit and the general condition is perceived as much more important.

mitiempo

Visit site
The original question was "...does it make the yacht more attractive against others when selling?"

Some may think a sailboat of only 31' is hard to maneuver if it has a bow thruster.

And I don't think it will add anything to the value.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
On it's way so faith restored. Now shall I dry out this weekend and fit it between tides?

On a serious note from your posting..... one big problem with fitting these things would appear to be the conditions which you attempt to do the job in.
Resins, fibreglass matt/cloths do not like/react well if done in cool damp conditions. Often you will need 75% humidity or drier to do the work in.
This was one factor that meant work on my deck' refit' recently was held up, as our humidity meter was reading too high.
best of luck
S.

Elessar

Visit site
Amazed at some of the replies - why would you care less what someone else has decided to fit to their boat - never mind call it foolish? Some people need to get out more.

As to the OP's post - I think it adds almost nothing to the value. If you were comparing identical boats sure - but when do we get to do that? There's always big differences in a whole range of kit and the general condition is perceived as much more important.

One of the voices of sensible reason. I agree with every word.

Yes you can sail a boat without a bowthruster. It's easier in most sailing boats than planing mobos (long keelers excepted). But it is a fact that no matter how good you are at boat handling, a bowthruster makes things possible that are impossible without.

In particular you can go directly sideways with a bowthruster balanced with the engine/rudder. This eliminates the need to have to bother with springing off. The big mouths that think people are stupid to fit one are generally the bigmouths that shout at their wives in such situations. The sideways move also makes some awkward berths possible.

Other benefits:

It allows you to steer going astern at very low speed. Makes berthing stern to much easier and more controlled. Too many yachts go way too fast.

It allows you to easily correct mis judgements at close quarters without having to go back out and try again.

It allows you to hold the boat against a windward pontoon if your crew missed the cleat with his or her lassoo, saves going around and shouting at your long suffering wife again.

There must be more, but anyway if you have one you don't have to use it. When you do it makes your life a bit easier and therefore boating more fun.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
One of the voices of sensible reason. I agree with every word.

Yes you can sail a boat without a bowthruster. It's easier in most sailing boats than planing mobos (long keelers excepted). But it is a fact that no matter how good you are at boat handling, a bowthruster makes things possible that are impossible without.

In particular you can go directly sideways with a bowthruster balanced with the engine/rudder. This eliminates the need to have to bother with springing off. The big mouths that think people are stupid to fit one are generally the bigmouths that shout at their wives in such situations. The sideways move also makes some awkward berths possible.

Other benefits:

It allows you to steer going astern at very low speed. Makes berthing stern to much easier and more controlled. Too many yachts go way too fast.

It allows you to easily correct mis judgements at close quarters without having to go back out and try again.

It allows you to hold the boat against a windward pontoon if your crew missed the cleat with his or her lassoo, saves going around and shouting at your long suffering wife again.

There must be more, but anyway if you have one you don't have to use it. When you do it makes your life a bit easier and therefore boating more fun.

Shout at my wide?

I'm not suicidal!