The added value of thrusters

cdogg

Visit site
What is the general view on the added value/attraction on resale of a yacht professionally fitted with a bow thruster (31' modern yacht)?

I believe the cost of a thruster is around £3500 fitted. Although I wouldn't necessarily fit one expecting to recoup the expense on selling, but does it make the yacht more attractive against others when selling?

cdogg

Visit site
not much on the resale I think, 31ft is a bit short for a thruster, many prospective owners for that length boat would not have a thruster on their wish list.

I should have said I appreciate that 31' is a bit on the short side to get the most out of the thruster, but I do find the boat blows around a bit when manoeuvring in the marina more than other hull profiles and in the name of making life easier, it is a thought! I just wondered if two boats of the same make/model of similar spec. came up for sale would the thruster give on the edge?

V1701

Visit site
Again not much if any because modern 30 foot fin keelers are so well behaved anyway, there can't be many good reasons to have one I wouldn't have thought, especially if it affects performance due to added weight, flow of water over the hull?

tarik

Visit site
Bow thrusters

I have B/T fitted on my Colvic 31' I sail single handed and they are a boon, well worth the price etc..

David

What is the general view on the added value/attraction on resale of a yacht professionally fitted with a bow thruster (31' modern yacht)?

I believe the cost of a thruster is around £3500 fitted. Although I wouldn't necessarily fit one expecting to recoup the expense on selling, but does it make the yacht more attractive against others when selling?

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
OK, interesting thread because I happen to be thinking about a Seahawk (34ft) which doesn't have one. The other two I have seen both have them, should the lack of b/t be a negotiating point?

cdogg

Visit site
If you can't get a 31' boat berthed you need to go back to clown school:

- " I'll ask you not to speak of Princeton that way ! "

Pinched from 'Frasier' .:)

I'll take your comment as a poor attempt to be witty. Perhaps we are not all as smart A***D as you!

Why can't you just take the post as intended without trying to infer you are superior. It really P***** me off about these forums, there are always those waiting to shoot you down.

Tranona

Visit site
Doubt it would make any difference to a 31 footer - could actually put people off - why does such a boat need one?

Actually you don't say what sort of boat it is, and I could imagine some types where it might be useful, but in a "normal" sailing boat of that size it would be unusual to need one.

Sandyman

Visit site
Doubt it would make any difference to a 31 footer - could actually put people off - why does such a boat need one?

Actually you don't say what sort of boat it is, and I could imagine some types where it might be useful, but in a "normal" sailing boat of that size it would be unusual to need one.

I dont now & never have had one. I see so many people using them these days that I
often wonder could those that use them all the time be able to get their boat alongside safetly overcoming wind/tide etc without one ? when out of the blue it fails ?

Do peeps practise coming alongside without using one ? I dont know, but seem to be a sensible precaution to me.

Tranona

Visit site
Then don't think it needs a bow thruster. I have a Bavaria 37 and have never really felt the need for one, except perhaps in strong winds on the beam. You need to be very firm with them as the prop is a long way from the rudder leading to delays before you get steerage, but compared with my old underpowered long keeler, the Bavaria is a dream! Think you will also find there is not enough depth of forefoot to fit one.

Had an old friend used to traditional boats as crew the other day and he was amazed how well behaved the boat was, getting in and out of my rather tight marina berth.

Tranona

Visit site
Do peeps practise coming alongside without using one ? I dont know, but seem to be a sensible precaution to me.

Practice definitely helps as does trying to avoid situations where you know the boat is not at its best. However, there are some types of boats where a thruster is useful. Would not like to berth my mate's Nauticat 331 in strong wind and tide without one. His berth is like that - tide running fore and aft and wind usually at 90 degrees and he manages single handed. My berth is facing the prevailing wind so easier. Not so easy coming alongside the waiting pontoon where it is usually a cross wind. Strategy then is to come in relatively fast and take the way off with a big burst of reverse and get moored before the wind blows you off.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Added resale value - negligible (if any at all).
For at boat this size: one more hole in the hull than strictly necessary.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
For every buyer who might be attracted by a thruster, there will be others who are dismayed by it (noise, maintenance, complexity, vulnerability, drag, etc). So to try and answer your initial question, it will add value for some punters but will also lose you some potential customers.

Sandyman

Visit site
Practice definitely helps as does trying to avoid situations where you know the boat is not at its best. However, there are some types of boats where a thruster is useful. Would not like to berth my mate's Nauticat 331 in strong wind and tide without one. His berth is like that - tide running fore and aft and wind usually at 90 degrees and he manages single handed. My berth is facing the prevailing wind so easier. Not so easy coming alongside the waiting pontoon where it is usually a cross wind. Strategy then is to come in relatively fast and take the way off with a big burst of reverse and get moored before the wind blows you off.

Point taken Tranona, but what I was trying to say, probably badly, is, do those who rely on
them ever practise coming alongside without them ? Im not in any way saying they are not usefull. I regularly see the benefits of them.

prv

Visit site
do those who rely on them ever practise coming alongside without them ?

Presumably, if the bow-thruster fails, they just make a slightly less graceful arrival, or pick an easier berth if the normal one is so tricky it can't be done without the thruster. How many people practice sailing onto marina berths in case their engine conks out?

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
The best arrival is quiet and drama free

Presumably, if the bow-thruster fails, they just make a slightly less graceful arrival, or pick an easier berth if the normal one is so tricky it can't be done without the thruster. How many people practice sailing onto marina berths in case their engine conks out?

Pete

I've never known a bow thruster assisted arrival to be graceful, usually it's the exact opposite with a lot of cavitation noise.

Just as a good aircraft pilot is always watching the fields below for a handy spot in case the engine conks, so a sailor should be approaching a berth without relying on a handfull of reverse at the last minute, as one day sure as eggs it won't be there, the cable will break or prop' fly off or similar !

As long as no boats are in danger in case of misjudgement, sailing into berths or on & off moorings is something to be encouraged, and when it all works out is a joy to behold.