Tenerife charter

capnsensible

Visit site
Have you found a company that does charters?

If so, there are places to go but it's rarely calm waters. If you are OK with brisk winds and bumpy sea it can be great.

Nearest is La Gomera. Great marina at San Sebastian plus some South coast anchorages. Bit more adventurous is La Palma. Port on east side, marina on sheltered west side. Both worth a half day taxi tour, epic scenery.

Bit further away is El Hierro. Port on South side, La Restinga is bonkers and great for diving. Needs a bit of cunning to sail up in Lee of La Gomera to get back to Tenerife.

I really enjoy the challenge of sailing around there, mostly in sight of an island but its not for everyone....

(y)

RupertW

Visit site
A charter fleet takes over most of Las Galletas in the winter. It’s challenging but very doable sailing between Las Galletas and both Gran Canaria and La Gomera. Shorter and much more calm waters close to the Tenerife coastline on the way to La Gomera. Lovely anchorages both on the La Gomera and Tenerife side, and San Sebastián is a lovely marina destination.

capnsensible

Visit site
A charter fleet takes over most of Las Galletas in the winter. It’s challenging but very doable sailing between Las Galletas and both Gran Canaria and La Gomera. Shorter and much more calm waters close to the Tenerife coastline on the way to La Gomera. Lovely anchorages both on the La Gomera and Tenerife side, and San Sebastián is a lovely marina destination.
I think there is a German company, Lava Charters that also has a base in Arecife. I've heard they've moved boats to Tenerife. I've only just remembered this coz I saw one when I was out sailing in the Bocayna Straits this morning!

ncounties

Visit site
I chartered with ECC Yachts January before last and will be chartering with them again in the New Year. Last time, I chartered through a well-known broker, but this time, contacting them directly got me a much better deal.

The last time, I collected the yacht from Galletas - if you charter from there be wary of the fuel berth... concrete steps coming down right where your midships should be lining up - and headed straight for La Palma. Well worth it if you don't mind a sizable enough passage. Great marina there, and you can hire a car close by to go around the island. After that, we headed for Gomera, before heading north for Garrachico, and then headed for home.

Next time I will be collecting from Santa Cruz. Weather permitting, we'll be heading straight for Hierro. Everyone goes on about the WAZ as if it's really scary or something to be concerned about. I don't personally see what the fuss is about... nothing I haven't seen sailing in Dublin Bay, South Western Costs of Ireland, the North Channel or around the Western Coasts of Scotland.

If you do charter with ECC, be sure to check the springs work in the lifeline shackles... none of ours did when I went to retrieve them for the night part of our passage to La Palma so I had to secure crew to the boat with lines...