Tender

Portofino

Visit site
My last car but one was a classic tow car, Audi A4 3.0TDi Quattro. It could do that mythical 500 miles on a tank, though as you say, no sane person would, that’s probably 8 hours minimum. However, on that efficient, torquey powerful motor, 45mpg was to be expected at 70mph, but only 30mpg max with 1800kg on the hook. At 50mph. That’s about what my RIB weighs on it’s trailer, and it’s probably more aerodynamic than most caravans. So that limits the range to 300 miles at a serious push. So I’d say our friend’s claim is pie in the sky for any ICE car already. A challenge then, to the anti EV lobby here. Find a car, any car, that can do that 500 miles with an 1800kg trailed load.
Macan SD has a range of 800 miles ( with the optional long range tank ) ……so if you knock some off for trailer you are there .It’s an updated version of Audi V6 D .

I am not anti EV just enjoying 45 mpg and the option often of driving 4/5 hrs none stop .You don’t need a break at every knats concentration span of a couple of hrs in proper ergonomic car . 😀.How bad are Tesla seats ? !,
Is it the naff AC , the lack of chilled seats , the 4.5 W infotainment systems , the thin glass ( noise intrusion) ?
What is it that calls time after 3 hrs ? ……whoops my bad it’s ran out of charge 😀😀😀.

When stopping not having the hassle of even refuelling .You know bun fight crowded service stations .Or indeed no spare chargers or busted chargers .This 10-80/% thingy is too uncertain assuming I found a free working charger .

I thought hydrogen ICE was back in the frame ? ……and will overtake EV s anyhow .Ask Anthony Bamford, or the Quandt ( BMW ) family.

EV s are starting to look Betamax .

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
A porsche. Ok right🤣Every anti ev towing enthusiast has one. With an optional long range tank. So it's carrying over 100 litres of fuel? Or is that 800 miles at 45mph as a publicity stunt?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
A porsche. Ok right🤣Every anti ev towing enthusiast has one. With an optional long range tank. So it's carrying over 100 litres of fuel? Or is that 800 miles at 45mph as a publicity stunt?
I’m an EV owner and promoter. Had five so far, currently on my second iPace. I’ve also got a Porsche. (911 as you ask). Also an old diesel Range Rover. Horses, courses etc.

citygent111

Visit site
So you tow an 1800kg caravan at 60mph (Max) so say 50mph average for 500 miles without stopping ??

You tow for 10 solid hours without stopping for a pee or something to eat???

You are either insane - or that's an uttlerly stupid and daft argument.

I would suggest that it's just a "I won't get one because I have been blinded by bu11sh1t and prejudice - and I won't change my mind no matter what the facts are......"

The reality is, that no-one in their right mind would tow with the additional concentration required for more than about 2 or 3 hours without a half hour or so break - and 3 hours at 50mph is 150m.....

So you could have:-

Tesla Model X (2000kg tow limit and about 200 mile range with a half hour recharge 10-80%
Mercedes EQC (2000kg tow limit but a bit less range)
Kia EV9 - 2500kg tow limit - 330m range (obviously more like 200 if towing 1800kg) and 18 mins charge 10-80% (Out later this year)

There aren't many EV's at the moment that will do it I grant you - but some will.

And advocate as I am of EV's I do concede that towing is the one area they ARE less good than ICE still - but that will change. Give it a few years and there will be ones that will tow 3500kg and probably do 250m + with a decent load on the back....
We stop for a break whenever we need one, be that a coffee or a pee, but British service stations are a nightmare for caravan towers, and given we have a toilet and a kettle behind us, we don't need to stop at a services. He ce there's nowhere to charge an EV in a layby.

Bouba

Visit site
Perhaps one day caravans can also have a battery pack to extend the range...either by driving to take the strain off the tug or powering the tug directly

Portofino

Visit site
Perhaps one day caravans can also have a battery pack to extend the range...either by driving to take the strain off the tug or powering the tug directly
Increases there nick ability.Crooks will break them up for the batt packs .Sleep tight in Fr lay-bys 😀.

Seriously you are adding weight on top of the ”1800kgs “ so a self defeating equation as the tugs gotta enlarge , the planets rare minerals ( and it’s under age miners ) raped even more .

Just use Hotels and drive a planet friendly ICE car .Infrastructure is already there , the tech re emissions from ICE is already here .

Bouba

Visit site
Increases there nick ability.Crooks will break them up for the batt packs .Sleep tight in Fr lay-bys 😀.

Seriously you are adding weight on top of the ”1800kgs “ so a self defeating equation as the tugs gotta enlarge , the planets rare minerals ( and it’s under age miners ) raped even more .

Just use Hotels and drive a planet friendly ICE car .Infrastructure is already there , the tech re emissions from ICE is already here .
I had a very nice RV and for a fraction of the price I could have stayed in a hotel...in fact I often thought that while eating my pot noodles....but it’s the same argument as renting a boat instead of owning it...but there is something about pride of ownership and carry your whole world with all your favorite stuff on your back.
Right now I am off for a road trip and will be spending a month in various hotels....but I do miss my RV...especially during covid

Bouba

Visit site
Is it just me finding this all too difficult to swallow.
As I said above the economics doesn't "stack up".
You all seem to be happy with the inconvenience - I'm not.
It’s not just about the economics....as I’m sure you realize when you are stood on the flybridge of your mini-superyacht and surveying all around you...sometimes it’s about the smoothness, the luxury...the acceleration...the admiring glances

colhel

Visit site
After driving my brother's Kia eV, I wish I could justify buying one as an everyday car. The issue for us is we're both self employed and have to lug tools, equipment, Grandchildren etc which after a short period would devalue any car IC or EV hence we're sticking with our 10 year old plus cars.
I've tried to apply man maths in upgrading our 3rd car to electric, but it's not quite there, so for the time being that remains a 12yr old fiat 500 🙂

colhel

Visit site

Bouba

Visit site
For some reason I keep pondering over this 🙂. There's a demo of the above and other solutions offered in the following link.
Tender dinghy options for outboard series 895 etc. | Jeanneau Owners Forum
The real problem is the outboard....none of those very clever solutions work except with an electric outboard.
Any boat has to have a system to launch and recover a tender....the smaller the boat the more difficult it becomes...but it often comes down to man handling it (two people is the best way)...passing a petrol outboard to someone already in the tender (on a calm day) is doable....if the tender is used constantly to get to the boat and then get home...then either towing or leaving the tender on the mothership’s mooring until you return is probably the best way

harvey38

Visit site
Fuel/engines/motors is a bit of an emotive subject, two stroke, four stroke, diesel, petrol, electric, hydro, nuclear, solar etc.

There are arguments for them all 😎

Martxer

Visit site
Having taken in everyones responses and weighed up the pros and cons I think I will leave the tender for now.

The guy who mentioned it said its ideal for nipping to Dartmouth for supplies which seemed ideal. The reality of storage and transporting while using the boat means its probably easier to get a discounted ferry pass for now.

Thanks everyone for the advice(y)

yang07

Visit site
If no model fits your preference, opt for custom tenders. Yacht owners often choose matching tenders for a stylish appearance.