Tender

Bouba

Visit site
Wow, is that happening in the UK as well or are you just chucking out a 13a lead out of the bedroom window and slow charging overnight
I have done that !…the manager told me that I can’t drive on the lawn…my defence that since I’m already parked there I might as well stay…didn’t wash

Boathook

Visit site
A lot less time than an ICE owner wastes at fuel stations.

My EV does 280m there or thereabouts - so that’s about 1 charge a week. It takes me 30 seconds to plug it in and 30 to unplug it so that’s about 52 minutes a year.

Assuming it takes an ICE driver 15 min to find a fuel station, putt up, fill up and pay and they do that every 10 days that’s 36 times a year or 9 hours.... a year...

What a terrible waste of time that is - how on earth do ICE drivers manage!
So ok if you can charge at home, but when on the road how long are you hanging around for it to charge up and if a bankholiday weekend how long will you be queuing for a charger ?

Bouba

Visit site
So ok if you can charge at home, but when on the road how long are you hanging around for it to charge up and if a bankholiday weekend how long will you be queuing for a charger ?
The car tells you if there’s a queue and will reroute you.
If you run the battery low and only fill up to 60% or less at a supercharger…it takes just a few minutes

ontheplane

Visit site
Given that I will only need to charge away from home a couple of times a year it’s not too bad.

And if I DO need to charge away from home, that charge will take about the same time as the toilet / coffee break I’d need after 2.5-3 hrs driving anyhow….. so EXTRA.time…. None

ontheplane

Visit site
Also, to say all EV’s are bad because an iPace isn’t good at long trips is like saying all ICE cars are bad because a 1.0 Fiesta won’t tow a 3500kg boat.

Beautifully finished as it might be, the iPace wasn’t a good EV - utterly dreadful range.

Plenty of EVs now with 350-400m range out now or coming out soon - and you are irresponsible if you drive more than 300 miles without even a half hour break (that’s a good 4hrs at the wheel).

Plenty of the newer EVs will do a 10-80% charge in 18-25 min, which isn’t any longer than a coffee / loo break - so you can easily do pretty serious miles quite easily.

I do concede early EVs had flawed range, but guess what, the Model-T Ford wasn’t as good as a modern family hatch, and just like that, EVs will improve.

CATL have just announced a 500w per KG battery (current cars are about 200-230w per kg) - so that means almost double the range in cars being brought out later 2023/2024…..

Nio doing battery swap stations, Norway building an inductive charging motorway.

The tech is being advanced - and now there is some proper investment, at a massive rate.

Within 3 years an EV will be able to do 600m on a single charge and “refuel” overnight for very little - the future is here, it just needs a bit of refining!

Martxer

Visit site
Also, to say all EV’s are bad because an iPace isn’t good at long trips is like saying all ICE cars are bad because a 1.0 Fiesta won’t tow a 3500kg boat.

Beautifully finished as it might be, the iPace wasn’t a good EV - utterly dreadful range.

Plenty of EVs now with 350-400m range out now or coming out soon - and you are irresponsible if you drive more than 300 miles without even a half hour break (that’s a good 4hrs at the wheel).

Plenty of the newer EVs will do a 10-80% charge in 18-25 min, which isn’t any longer than a coffee / loo break - so you can easily do pretty serious miles quite easily.

I do concede early EVs had flawed range, but guess what, the Model-T Ford wasn’t as good as a modern family hatch, and just like that, EVs will improve.

CATL have just announced a 500w per KG battery (current cars are about 200-230w per kg) - so that means almost double the range in cars being brought out later 2023/2024…..

Nio doing battery swap stations, Norway building an inductive charging motorway.

The tech is being advanced - and now there is some proper investment, at a massive rate.

Within 3 years an EV will be able to do 600m on a single charge and “refuel” overnight for very little - the future is here, it just needs a bit of refining!
I never said the I pace was a bad car. The exact opposite is true the car was by far the best car I have ever owned and a hell of a lot of thought was put into replacing it.
The ipace range was 280 miles with a 90kw battery stats pretty high today.I needed a car to do 288 miles with 1 stop from Lancs to Dartmouth and the public charging network along that route is poor at best. On the motorway network 2 chargers at each services.
The problem with ev is the network not the vehicles, too many times I have pulled into a services needing a charge only to find some old codger sat there feeding a book trying to charge to 100% and being at 6% you have no option to wait for the cantankerous twxx to go. I have arrived at chargers and there is 4 cars queuing for 2 chargers and that is not cnvenient at all.
On the flip side on a day to day basis I would plug in at night and have plenty charge for 1 or 2 days use before needing to recharge at home.
while doing my research into a replacement I did a test on my own car as to motorway miles. I went to Windermere and back from home which is 69 miles each way so 138 miles in total most of which are motorway miles. I set off with 100% battery displaying 230 miles of range.
when I got back the range was displaying 20 miles with a loss of 62 miles.

I have now replaced the I pace with diesel powered vehicle which I think is an inferior vehicle to the I pace but wipes the floor with the I pace on the 288 mile trip I need to make to the boat.

colhel

Visit site
Just to add something on the subject of tender storage. While your away from the boat you don't want to leave it in the water. But when you're there, is there room to tie it up alongside your boat? I leave ours inflated and store it either on the foredeck or small swim platform, if it's in the way, plonk it in the water. Your biggest issue is going to be how to transport whilst underway. I'm concerned your locker won't be big enough.

Martxer

Visit site
Just to add something on the subject of tender storage. While your away from the boat you don't want to leave it in the water. But when you're there, is there room to tie it up alongside your boat? I leave ours inflated and store it either on the foredeck or small swim platform, if it's in the way, plonk it in the water. Your biggest issue is going to be how to transport whilst underway. I'm concerned your locker won't be big enough.
My thoughts were to deflate and store in locker when we are not at the boat. We can drop it in the water at the marina just need a solution to transport while underway.
I am glad I asked rather than just go out and buy one 😂

Bouba

Visit site
My thoughts were to deflate and store in locker when we are not at the boat. We can drop it in the water at the marina just need a solution to transport while underway.
I am glad I asked rather than just go out and buy one 😂
Remember also that old adage…you will never again be able to fold it as small as the package it first arrived in

Bouba

Visit site
That is not true of the 3D tender in my experience, it went back into the valise very easily. Suck all the air out of it with the inflator pump in reverse.
The 3D tender has a very good secondary use as a car tender as it fits so well in the trunk and is so light…again this is also a great use for an electric outboard.
Nice little vacation package for a road trip

citygent111

Visit site
When an EV car can tow my 1800kg caravan 500 miles without stopping, I'll consider one but until then I'll try help the lives of those poor kids in the lithium mines...

ontheplane

Visit site
When an EV car can tow my 1800kg caravan 500 miles without stopping, I'll consider one but until then I'll try help the lives of those poor kids in the lithium mines...

So you tow an 1800kg caravan at 60mph (Max) so say 50mph average for 500 miles without stopping ??

You tow for 10 solid hours without stopping for a pee or something to eat???

You are either insane - or that's an uttlerly stupid and daft argument.

I would suggest that it's just a "I won't get one because I have been blinded by bu11sh1t and prejudice - and I won't change my mind no matter what the facts are......"

The reality is, that no-one in their right mind would tow with the additional concentration required for more than about 2 or 3 hours without a half hour or so break - and 3 hours at 50mph is 150m.....

So you could have:-

Tesla Model X (2000kg tow limit and about 200 mile range with a half hour recharge 10-80%
Mercedes EQC (2000kg tow limit but a bit less range)
Kia EV9 - 2500kg tow limit - 330m range (obviously more like 200 if towing 1800kg) and 18 mins charge 10-80% (Out later this year)

There aren't many EV's at the moment that will do it I grant you - but some will.

And advocate as I am of EV's I do concede that towing is the one area they ARE less good than ICE still - but that will change. Give it a few years and there will be ones that will tow 3500kg and probably do 250m + with a decent load on the back....

Bouba

Visit site
So you tow an 1800kg caravan at 60mph (Max) so say 50mph average for 500 miles without stopping ??

I would suggest that it's just a "I won't get one because I have been blinded by bu11sh1t and prejudice - and I won't change my mind no matter what the facts are......"

The reality is, that no-one in their right mind would tow with the additional concentration required for more than about 2 or 3 hours without a half hour or so break - and 3 hours at 50mph is 150m.....

Tesla Model X (2000kg tow limit and about 200 mile range with a half hour recharge 10-80%
Kia EV9 - 2500kg tow limit - 330m range (obviously more like 200 if towing 1800kg) and 18 mins charge 10-80% (Out later this year)

There aren't many EV's at the moment that will do it I grant you - but some will.

And advocate as I am of EV's I do concede that towing is the one area they ARE less good than ICE still - but that will change. Give it a few years and there will be ones that will tow 3500kg and probably do 250m + with a decent load on the back....
The Cybertruck and probably Ford and Rivian will make good tugs...but charging will have to wait until there are dedicated truck charging stations where you drive through....until then it means unhooking the load. The future is nearly here...it might start very expensive but that will also change

Chiara’s slave

Visit site

My last car but one was a classic tow car, Audi A4 3.0TDi Quattro. It could do that mythical 500 miles on a tank, though as you say, no sane person would, that’s probably 8 hours minimum. However, on that efficient, torquey powerful motor, 45mpg was to be expected at 70mph, but only 30mpg max with 1800kg on the hook. At 50mph. That’s about what my RIB weighs on it’s trailer, and it’s probably more aerodynamic than most caravans. So that limits the range to 300 miles at a serious push. So I’d say our friend’s claim is pie in the sky for any ICE car already. A challenge then, to the anti EV lobby here. Find a car, any car, that can do that 500 miles with an 1800kg trailed load.

Bouba

Visit site
My last car but one was a classic tow car, Audi A4 3.0TDi Quattro. It could do that mythical 500 miles on a tank, though as you say, no sane person would, that’s probably 8 hours minimum. However, on that efficient, torquey powerful motor, 45mpg was to be expected at 70mph, but only 30mpg max with 1800kg on the hook. At 50mph. That’s about what my RIB weighs on it’s trailer, and it’s probably more aerodynamic than most caravans. So that limits the range to 300 miles at a serious push. So I’d say our friend’s claim is pie in the sky for any ICE car already. A challenge then, to the anti EV lobby here. Find a car, any car, that can do that 500 miles with an 1800kg trailed load.
The anti EVers are full of tales of derring-do that is all in their over active imagination....but right now they are busy researching...probably find a car from 1932 that fits the bill