Telephoning the RYA

Laser310

Visit site
I have had to phone the RYA a few times recently over a membership issue, and an ICC application.

Everything went fine, and the staff were, as usual, very helpful.

What I thought was odd, was that there is now an automated greeting which, at some length, informs me that I must treat the staff with respect.

I'm not sure I have heard this anywhere else, and I am a little offended that they seem to think I might not be respectful. I am not a child, and I don't need to be told how to behave.

Has this been a problem? Are people calling the RYA and being rude to the staff?

KevinV

Visit site
I have had to phone the RYA a few times recently over a membership issue, and an ICC application.

Everything went fine, and the staff were, as usual, very helpful.

What I thought was odd, was that there is now an automated greeting which, at some length, informs me that I must treat the staff with respect.

I'm not sure I have heard this anywhere else, and I am a little offended that they seem to think I might not be respectful. I am not a child, and I don't need to be told how to behave.

Has this been a problem? Are people calling the RYA and being rude to the staff?
There was a thread about this a few months back. I would assume they haven't put it on for laughs - people can be incredibly noxious on the phone. I have been on the receiving end of such, back in the day when you were expected to put up with it. I applaud zero tolerance - and yes, people do need fair warning that zero tolerance applies.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Probably a standard digital message with the system they installed. I took the mickey out of Will at Hudson Marine as he just installed one of those "press 1 for sales, press 2 for accounts ... press 87 for the warehouse" etc. When you visit, there is usually only him in the office ;-)

johnalison

Visit site
I do understand that today's society is more than ever populated by 'entitled' personages but I share the OP's irritation at being treated as potentially guilty before we have even opened our mouths. I suppose it is something we have to live with.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I do understand that today's society is more than ever populated by 'entitled' personages but I share the OP's irritation at being treated as potentially guilty before we have even opened our mouths. I suppose it is something we have to live with.
It's way worse than you might think Mr John. Particularly in retail.
I don't particularly feel that humankind is going downhill, but some folks seem to get frustrated quicker than they used to. Many organisations don't even have humans on the end of the line now, just the facility for written queries.

Mister E

Visit site
The best way to treat offensive people on the phone is to not answer it.
I remember telling one bloke that if he swore again I would put the phone down. He phoned back to complain but remembered not to swear that time.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Almost every organization that I deal with on the phone tends to have something about abuse not being tolerated somewhere in the blah before you actually get to choose an option. And notices to the same effect in places that deal with the public are universal.

johnalison

Visit site
It's way worse than you might think Mr John. Particularly in retail.
I don't particularly feel that humankind is going downhill, but some folks seem to get frustrated quicker than they used to. Many organisations don't even have humans on the end of the line now, just the facility for written queries.
I haven’t met the public since I gave up work over twenty years ago. It occurred to me at the time that not everyone meets a full cross-section of the public. Doctors and teachers generally do, though my area was fairly well-off, and as you say, shopkeepers. I have no illusions about how people behave, but I would have thought (hoped) that the RYA was a bit different from your local taxi firm.

ylop

Visit site
I’ve never really understood the point on such messages because anyone who is likely to be rude is hardly likely to moderate their message in light of a well meaning warning. Unless the sort of people who assume it’s an accusation of guilt and post on line about their irritation might be the target audience!

But I assume it’s either thoughtless management trying to pretend they care; someone trying to appease a union complaining about actual abuse; or some sort of insurer/liability-fear-driven policy to stop staff claims against the employer if they are repeatedly abused.
I haven’t met the public since I gave up work over twenty years ago. It occurred to me at the time that not everyone meets a full cross-section of the public. Doctors and teachers generally do, though my area was fairly well-off, and as you say, shopkeepers.
All three of those professions tell me the public have got worse in those 20 yrs. im not sure their perceptions will be entirely accurate and its possible their “service”, “tolerance” and approach to tackling problems has shifted too - but I think at least some people are a lot worse.

I also suspect that on average Doctors probably got/get more respect than teachers do and teachers probably get treated better than some other professions. A faceless person at the RYA who “you” will probably never have to deal with again is probably quite far down that pecking order.

I have no illusions about how people behave, but I would have thought (hoped) that the RYA was a bit different from your local taxi firm.
Whilst not wanting to condone any abuse, the factors that trigger it are not where the person works but how well they deal with any call/complaint/problem - if the RYA is regularly getting enquiries that make people angry they probably should look at their processes - just the same as if your local taxi firm has angry customers they need to become better at predicting arrival time / get more cars/drivers at peak time!

johnalison

Visit site
I’ve never really understood the point on such messages because anyone who is likely to be rude is hardly likely to moderate their message in light of a well meaning warning. Unless the sort of people who assume it’s an accusation of guilt and post on line about their irritation might be the target audience!

But I assume it’s either thoughtless management trying to pretend they care; someone trying to appease a union complaining about actual abuse; or some sort of insurer/liability-fear-driven policy to stop staff claims against the employer if they are repeatedly abused.

All three of those professions tell me the public have got worse in those 20 yrs. im not sure their perceptions will be entirely accurate and its possible their “service”, “tolerance” and approach to tackling problems has shifted too - but I think at least some people are a lot worse.

I also suspect that on average Doctors probably got/get more respect than teachers do and teachers probably get treated better than some other professions. A faceless person at the RYA who “you” will probably never have to deal with again is probably quite far down that pecking order.

Whilst not wanting to condone any abuse, the factors that trigger it are not where the person works but how well they deal with any call/complaint/problem - if the RYA is regularly getting enquiries that make people angry they probably should look at their processes - just the same as if your local taxi firm has angry customers they need to become better at predicting arrival time / get more cars/drivers at peak time!
I think that you will find that some people will have no more respect for anyone in the ‘elf service than they do for the police, and I suspect that teachers might report much the same. I was just thinking that since the RYA is not in the position of authority generally and that the context of their work has to do with leisure rather than anything more critical, that they would not normally be exposed to the worst of humanity.

ylop

Visit site
I think that you will find that some people will have no more respect for anyone in the ‘elf service than they do for the police, and I suspect that teachers might report much the same.
I get that, but then imagine the majority of society who are respectful to doctors and some of them are less respectful to other professions.
I was just thinking that since the RYA is not in the position of authority generally and that the context of their work has to do with leisure rather than anything more critical,
I guess they will be dealing with people upset with the costs, annoyed at the timescale for things (that they probably left too late), and demanding explanations for why they failed courses etc. It’s probably not like being a receptionist at a Dr’s getting flak for their being no appointments, or answering calls at the benefits agency to people who’s payments are being cut off, where every call seems angry but I’m not sure irrational shouty sweary types confine their frustration to issues of actual importance.
that they would not normally be exposed to the worst of humanity.
Yeah I suspect they don’t encounter the very worst of society but we see on here people outraged at them for wanting to be inclusive and enthusiastically declaring they won’t renew their membership. I suspect some of those people probably call up to share their outrage! The demographics of the membership seem like they should be the more civilised type - but actually they are often people who are used to getting their own way. I’m not at all surprised, but I don’t treat a recorded message like that (or a poster at a train station) as an accusation against me personally.

capnsensible

Visit site
I've been speaking to a credit card company this afternoon with these now normal standard warnings. No problem, the human I spoke to was fab. The hard yakka was getting through the computer geek driven interrogation to get there. Would have been easier getting an oasis concert ticket.

However, what amused me was the helpline number you can ring if you need to use braille. This was on the letter they sent. If I did, how would I know? :)

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
The trouble is that all too often you can't get responsive service without letting them know that you are more than a little pissed off.

dgadee

Visit site
The trouble is that all too often you can't get responsive service without letting them know that you are more than a little pissed off.
My daughter spent a few months on a call service. She said it never helped anyone to be aggressive - they had ways of making things awkward. Best to be nice, she said, and the call staff will try to do their best for you.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I've been speaking to a credit card company this afternoon with these now normal standard warnings. No problem, the human I spoke to was fab. The hard yakka was getting through the computer geek driven interrogation to get there. Would have been easier getting an oasis concert ticket.

However, what amused me was the helpline number you can ring if you need to use braille. This was on the letter they sent. If I did, how would I know?

However, what amused me was the helpline number you can ring if you need to use braille. This was on the letter they sent. If I did, how would I know? :)
😁
I wonder what the world record is for the number of times asked name, account DOB during the same phone number.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
😁
I wonder what the world record is for the number of times asked name, account DOB during the same phone number.
I don't know, but hospitals must set records for that. Almost every interaction with medical staff is prefixed by asking you your name and date of birth, as well as checking your wristband! Makes sense when it's administering potentially dangerous medication or making sure they've got the right patient going into an operating theatre, but it can get a bit comical when all they're doing is checking your obs!

ylop

Visit site
I don't know, but hospitals must set records for that. Almost every interaction with medical staff is prefixed by asking you your name and date of birth, as well as checking your wristband! Makes sense when it's administering potentially dangerous medication or making sure they've got the right patient going into an operating theatre, but it can get a bit comical when all they're doing is checking your obs!
1. The obs inform the decision about those medications, whether to proceed with an operation etc. You don’t want a distracted overworked nurse putting the bed next door’s BP on your chart…
2. By making it routine so it is asked EVERY time it becomes second nature to check, and also more likely for others to spot/call out when it’s not being done.

Mudisox

Visit site
I got the same from an Insurance company when I wanted to pay for a quote already given both online and in person by phone. She had to re iterate the company standard blurb to which i had to reply. It took up 13 mins, I timed it, and then when it came to pay by card, I had another 6 mins of it. At last i could drive off back home for 5 hours on t he M6.