Teak caulking tool

Tony W

Visit site
Amazon.co.uk

I sourced this tool a few months ago and thought I’d share my thoughts having now trimmed every single black caulking line on a SQ58 in less than 2 hours without the need for sanding at all! Bathing platform, cockpit, side decks and fly. I’d researched and watched many video’s where everything from bendy Stanley blades, chisels, potato peelers etc etc, not to mention using none of those and hitting those raised lines with the sander.

It’s amazing and worked for me.

Greg2

Visit site
Very timely - thanks for sharing.

Been thinking of having our decks re-caulked but not 100% convinced it is necessary and was wondering whether trimming the existing caulking might be an option instead. This tool looks good so I have ordered one and will give it a try.

Tony W

Visit site
morning, did you use it to shave raised caulk or to remove the caulk from between seams in preparation for recaulking?
Only shaved it, the 3rd moon shape of the blade is a perfect width to shave in one run with very minimal snagging to the deck if at all, it’s barely a mm wider each side of the caulking so if it does snag to the teak it only enhances the flat level between the 2.

I’ve seen the removal tool on a tutorial video somewhere and will probably get one if I need to go that far going forward, I have a few “Hi traffic” areas where it’s gone, I grooved those out with a Stanley and re caulked with silka 290DC Pro,

Sikaflex Sika 290DC PRO Marine Decking Caulk Sealant 300ml - BLACK | Sealants and Tools Direct

its a messy, fiddly task, it also taught me that if it’s gone and you dig it out you’re hitting the sub deck, in my case the GRP or the glue holding the original teak down, a sign in my case that it’s time to consider replacing which I’ve asked about in another thread.

I’m in the med, the only other tip I’d say is do the shaving when it’s cooler and the caulk is firm - not tacky with the heat.