Tax relief for pleasure boating

gjgm

Visit site
for gawd's sake.. none of this is about tit for tat, offsetting one tax for another, how much (top)tax one country decides to charge its citizens . Its bloody simple. The EU wants to harmonise a base level for taxation of certain fuels. The UK was given an extension 5/6 years ago to get ready. It seems we didnt.

SimonC

Visit site
All countries have extensions and derogations from the Energy Products Directive. Why shouldn't this be one?

I don't really follow the step from "the EU wants..." to an admission that raising tax on red diesel is the right thing to do. The commission acknowledges that a 'one size fits all' Europe is simply impossible - that is why there is a process for the provision and extension of derogations. Our job is to use that process to protect the interests of boaters, and the people whose livelihoods depend on them.

gjgm

Visit site
well I m not sure which is the most current EP directive, but its aims are:
reduce distortions of competition that currently exist between Member States as a result of divergent rates of tax;
reduce distortions of competition between mineral oils and the other energy products that have not been subject to Community tax legislation up to now;
increase the incentive to use energy more efficiently (so as to reduce dependency on imported energy and cut carbon dioxide emissions); and
allow Member States to offer companies tax incentives in return for specific undertakings to reduce emissions.
Now I too will be happy if we continue derogation;I just find it hard to identify the grounds given the above goals. Of interest might be the legislative provisions for member states to apply for reduced rates for a LIMITED period... going on the specify Czech,Hungary,Latvia,Slovenia etc who it recognises do not have the means to offset a tax increase elsewhere in their economies. I merely say that if one looks at the directives and studies, this doesnt really fit with the leisure boaters in the Uk,unfortuantely.

fireball

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
reduce distortions of competition between mineral oils and the other energy products that have not been subject to Community tax legislation up to now;

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this has been said before:
Fair enough - I'll happily sign up to full tax duty on marine fuel - IF it is brought in line with other EU countries - ie lowered.

Raising the tax on marine fuel will have such a minimal impact on the [buzzword]carbon footprint[/buzzword] of a vessel that it becomes a non-entity.

This government seems to think it can TAX it's way out of carbon emissions ...

gjgm

Visit site
I was reading through an old mag about new 2-3hp four strokes..as those planet destroying 2 strokes are history after jan07. I hope all thse commision types travel to work by tram or something and not by chauffeur! Nuts, isnt it.

fireball

Visit site
Ah - now I do have a 2hp 4 stroke - it is nice not having to add the oil at time of fuelling ... but u still have to change the oil in the sump ...

I would be more obliging to coughing up tax on carbon emissions if the government visibly put that revenue into a fund for scientists developing re-usable engery sources - but they appear to want to leave that up to the private sector as it is better for competition ... but they'll probably just squander the cash on illegal immigrants or sending violent criminals to Disneyland...

Nickcf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Many people go for holidays in motor homes. They pay full fuel tax. I fail to see why boat owners should claim to be a special case.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a ridiculous arguement....
I suppose one reason would be that boat owners don't use their boats on roads which cost over £2m per mile to construct. The tax on fuel is to pay for this! (or is supposed to be).

mrpvb

Visit site
But I just bought a great garden tank full of the red stuff !!
Enough to last me till the end of next year!!!
So what happens to me and my red stuff?? if I cant use it by the time it is illegal
If they make it illegal I would have to pay to have it removed or destroyed??

rickp

Visit site
Depends what you plan on using it for. If its heating - then you're fine. If its in your boat - then you may or may not be fine after the end of the year (though in all honesty we'll all have tanks ful of red at the end of the year - so there's going to have to be some leeway regardless of what happens to the derogation).

Rick