Tamarisk 19

channel

Visit site
Has anyone got experience of these boats? How many have been built?

They are rather heavy to be a trailer sailer, something the PBO review picked in 1991. Has this limited their popularity? I note Tollesbury Marina still market them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Mataji

Visit site
Lovely little boat. Often mistaken for Shrimpers but has more room inside. I towed one to Scotland once using a Volvo estate. Suspect the boat and trailer were too heavy for the car even though I unloaded everything that could be moved from the boat and a mate drove the offloaded stuff up. The return trip turned out ok.

There were 11 of these boats built in Northern Island, the 24 foot Tamarisk is far more common. You are right in stating Tollesbury marina are "still" marketing them, but I am not sure they have actually sold any. I have heard, from another builder of small boats, that the current builder made only 2 of them and hasn't sold either of them. He also added that the new ones are not of the same quality as the originals (shades here of the resurrected Drascombe Drifter). I cannot say whether or not this is true. I can say that the originals were great to sail, proved very capable, even in quite big seas, and had good size and very comfortable cockpits.