Cruise Reports Taking our yacht to Sweden for the summer - any 50m marinas?

Capital_R

Visit site
Thanks Deleted User!

Does that mean i should budget for double, as per everything else, or may it well come out like that??!!

Good if it does!

:)

Capital_R

Visit site
Did you decide on a route? I'm hoping you'll end up near my home port (Portsmouth) so I can drop by. Hope you can share AIS info at some point, I had added the ship's previous AIS to my "fleet" on marinetraffic so i could have a chance of seeing if you're passing nearby, but i'm guessing you're going to have a new code now.

Not yet mate...

Working it out now... she's been costing me about $4k per day over the last wee while more than I thought, so Ive asked the crew to do what they can to give me a wee breather from the endless unexpected invoices...

I hope means a few weeks at sea via a refuel in your neck of the woods. You'll have to try out the dinghy!

:)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

It means that any boat is a bottomless pit into which you throw money or as somebody has described it, like standing in a shower tearing up £50 notes. As Mapism of this parish says B.O.A.T = Bring On Another Thousand. The accepted wisdom is that annual running costs will be around 10% of the value of the boat but with older boat on which things will be breaking down on a regular basis and regular repairs/upgrades will be needed, you could expect a whole lot more especially if you're paying somebody else to do it

What about the engines, generators, pumps, aircon, watermaker, batteries etc etc? Have you had to do work on those because those are potentially big ticket items?

Portofino

Visit site
Capital_R On another topic. For a wooden boat said:
seems ok except the propshaft and rudder service ,need a bit more detail to coment further .Labour in SoF is € 60-70 /hr
Italy should be less ? -these two look labour intensive --then add vat 20 % ish .

Can I just ask ( sorry if it's been allready stated can,t be bothered trawling back )
This yacht is in N Italy and you want it moving to Greece too for final fit out -- once its reasonably seaworthy ?
Will it have it's rigging n sails made good in Italy ?
What time line is this on ?
It's just that I have a mate who has moved big Yachts -Uk SA - SA -Oz via southern ocean --

If you are looking for a pair of extra deckhands /mates for this one -give us a shout .
We ve done a del trip Naples - Cannes .

Last edited:

Capital_R

Visit site
It means that any boat is a bottomless pit into which you throw money or as somebody has described it, like standing in a shower tearing up £50 notes. As Mapism of this parish says B.O.A.T = Bring On Another Thousand. The accepted wisdom is that annual running costs will be around 10% of the value of the boat but with older boat on which things will be breaking down on a regular basis and regular repairs/upgrades will be needed, you could expect a whole lot more especially if you're paying somebody else to do it

What about the engines, generators, pumps, aircon, watermaker, batteries etc etc? Have you had to do work on those because those are potentially big ticket items?

Lols!

I think it takes a real impassioned hatred of currency to own a boat... yes. You must have an ability to really despise the stuff..!!

But it is fun. And if it can save 250 people in an emergency situatuon, it's still worth it..!!

Capital_R

Visit site
seems ok except the propshaft and rudder service ,need a bit more detail to coment further .Labour in SoF is € 60-70 /hr
Italy should be less ? -these two look labour intensive --then add vat 20 % ish .

Can I just ask ( sorry if it's been allready stated can,t be bothered trawling back )
This yacht is in N Italy and you want it moving to Greece too for final fit out -- once its reasonably seaworthy ?
Will it have it's rigging n sails made good in Italy ?
What time line is this on ?
It's just that I have a mate who has moved big Yachts -Uk SA - SA -Oz via southern ocean --

If you are looking for a pair of extra deckhands /mates for this one -give us a shout .
We ve done a del trip Naples - Cannes .

Cheers Portofino,

Not sure on the plans. This one is closer to ready than the big one... but who knows.

What's becoming clear is that I'm going to habe to go back to the office for a bit to make a stupid amount of money to keep throwing it at boats...!

Capital_R

Visit site

I think everything could do with a re work.

I think we just pulled out the aircon. It was put in down in asia and caused some damage with condensation. Batteries are always being replaced.... seemingly continuously...!

Divemaster1

Visit site
............ in the mean time divemaster has literally asked the yard to semd him the same progress reports I get.. and they've then actually done it, which kind of shocks me, actually, but is still impressive from his perspective....

No ... C_R ... no your yard is clean here ... there should not be any trace back to the yard giving me any direct or indirect information, so your confidentiality agreement with the yard and it's employees is intact .... the "leaks" are much closer to home ... I just joined the dots ... :)

sorabain

Visit site
No ... C_R ... no your yard is clean here ... there should not be any trace back to the yard giving me any direct or indirect information, so your confidentiality agreement with the yard and it's employees is intact .... the "leaks" are much closer to home ... I just joined the dots ... :)

His home or your home? I'm starting to think you had something to do with getting Trump elected

Divemaster1

Visit site
His home or your home? I'm starting to think you had something to do with getting Trump elected

His home !!! I would never encourage anyone do disclose information which they cannot share !!! ..... and in respect to the latter statement, I could take this as an offence, but elect to take it as a poor attempt of a joke.. :)

Capital_R

Visit site
This thread just continues to get better, I should be working but couldn't help myself getting up to date.

Keep up the good work :)

First, Apologies to Alf.

Alf, I'm guessing you're pulling this from crew facebook pages? Apologies for accusing the yard. Still impressed with your 'dot joining' capacity.

Got to Greece today. Here's her home. Was sad not to be able to get off the train and walk ocer the road to the boat.....

Berth... vacant.
image-0-02-05-52abe8bb0f7dfe942a99cbf5c461fb5205bbcc6246b4c9a9f6a9c713d90e17f1-V.jpg

Sunset view last night from the vacant berth:
image-0-02-05-921a7ce9af7703eb12d33ef7767aa16a55df1e88e38b4b67ba91e42dbfaefa5a-V.jpg

s50cam - not sure which part you're enjoying... all seems haphazard to me!

Out of Interest... i just paid a bill for a 91 foot steel passage maker to be hauled, scrubbed, and new anodes.. no paint though.

NZD 12k. Including tugs for manouvering.

Not bad.

Capital_R

Visit site
This thread just continues to get better, I should be working but couldn't help myself getting up to date.

Keep up the good work :)

Question to the forum:

Does anyone know how a bulb such as the one above (surprisingly large!) works regarding Ice class? Is it just the thickness of the steel and accommodating reinforcement of the scantlings - or is Ice Class also about how the design must handle breaking the ice? It's ice class C, which i found somewhere means capable of navigating up to 30cm of Ice with Caution.... which seems very thick to me.

Thoughts on the matter are very welcome...

R.

MapisM

Visit site
Out of Interest... i just paid a bill for a 91 foot steel passage maker to be hauled, scrubbed, and new anodes.. no paint though.

NZD 12k. Including tugs for manouvering.
That's about 8K Eur... Reasonable, for a job that required a 150T travel lift - if not more.
But not low enough to make me consider coming to NZ for my next antifoul... :cool:

Capital_R

Visit site
That's about 8K Eur... Reasonable, for a job that required a 150T travel lift - if not more.
But not low enough to make me consider coming to NZ for my next antifoul... :cool:

For completeness - it was done via a slipway.... cant work out wherher that's cheaper or more expensive than a lift. Presume cheaper because they've been around longer, but could be more as they take up more space and cannot be used by more than one vessel per job...

Just keeps me dreaming of the moment the boat in norway looks like this.....

received_10153871545274639.jpg

MapisM

Visit site
Does anyone know how a bulb such as the one above (surprisingly large!) works regarding Ice class?
No idea about whether also the bow design is somewhat ruled by the classification Societies, but surely the top dogs in icebreaking business are NOT bulbous, because the bow is designed to "slide" on top of the ice, and then break it with the sheer ship weight.
That said, I've seen a 60' steel trawler (a Cape Horn) whose first owner was planning to cruise the Antarctica with her, and she had the normal bulbous bow as all other boats of the same yard, with some additional steel "stripes" welded diagonally on each sides of the bow.

sorabain

Visit site
For completeness - it was done via a slipway.... cant work out wherher that's cheaper or more expensive than a lift. Presume cheaper because they've been around longer, but could be more as they take up more space and cannot be used by more than one vessel per job...

Just keeps me dreaming of the moment the boat in norway looks like this.....

View attachment 63355

I keep wondering if it'd be cheaper to build from scratch than convert from what you have. You're going to be getting quite a few of those invoices!

Capital_R

Visit site
I keep wondering if it'd be cheaper to build from scratch than convert from what you have. You're going to be getting quite a few of those invoices!

I think we'll emphatically answer that question in the next 5 years.

We'll see with this one. The hull, superstructure etc was quoted at €6/kg for design, planning, fabrication, and flotation.

I think that included nothing of the accommodations or equipmemt... meaning this would have cost about €3.45m plus hotel and machinary - so €4-5m for a 2-3* working boat, €9-15m for 4*s worth, and €20-30+ for 5* and beyond.

If the next few years go well, I'll be keen to (a) fix the wooden boat up like new, and (b) commission a replica of Aras from Navalmare or whomever now owns what's left of her.

Should all that come to pass... we'll all know the answer to that age old question, buy new or buy to convert. To be fair... i needed a boat quickly for work, and then ended up with a conversion... so I'd probably have just put the money into the sail boat if I had an option.

So, we'll either find out, or I'll do the sensible thing and go buy a very small house with a view of the sea, and take up philosophy!