Cruise Reports Taking our yacht to Sweden for the summer - any 50m marinas?

Capital_R

Visit site
This thread has moved over to the following...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...ersion-Project-Supply-Vessel-to-Support-Yacht

Please keep up with the news there!

Hi team,

Anyone got any first hand knowledge of marinas in Sweden/Northern Europe?

There's this newly acquired 50m expedition boat that im super excited about taking delivery of, coming out of a yard in Norway - the plan was to head to Greece for the summer, but - usual story - work is getting in the way and I'm becoming too time constrained to get to the med right now.

Anyone got any recommendations as to facilities in Northern Europe/Scandinavia that would make sense?

She's 49m×10m×3.7m

Time is my issue. Sadly. But going to make an effort over summer. Maybe Greece after the north sea calms down during July?!

I often have to fly in/fly out - so want somewhere to keep her safely. Crew usually comes and goes with me, so likely to be 1-2 people aboard if I'm not there (she's a NZ flagged pleasure yacht; so no full time crew requirements)

Best;

R.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Welcome to the forum. To answer your question, not a clue! Not only don't I know the northern waters but you are way outside our league. But we still want to be friends with you, so can you please post some photos of your ship, a lot of people here love expedition boats.
Are you sailing her to New Zealand?

Capital_R

Visit site
Okay!

Many thanks. I don't know how to post pics.

She's being painted at the moment. I have the designs and graphic impressions but I haven't seen her for must be 3 months.... All I get is pictures of engines and props and thrusters and beds neatly made. (I think they're making a coffee table book as a handover gift - so I'm being starved of the joy of real time updates.

Anyway. Hoping a Scandinavian summer is an option. Not sure what to do with her while I'm not ready to take delivery. #FirstWorldProblems..

R

Divemaster1

Visit site
Sorry to tell you this .... you will be lucky to find a 20M marina space in Norway/Sweden and probably Denmark...

You may find a OK space to keep her if you speak with our Norwegian Yard, who will have connections with various shipping companies (Offshore supply, Anchor Handlers, Tugs, etc.), who will have access to quay space for their own vessels around your size. (I am Norwegian and have family who have worked in the shipping industry for over 12 years and have a relatively good understanding on what they do when they have taken delivery of vessels from a multitude of the Norwegian yards ).. Failing that, most Harbor authorities will offer up anchorages / long term storage areas which may or may not offer up high amperage power supply... You need to set yourself into the regulations (or more likely take advise from a maritime solicitor) for keeping a vessel like this in a country for any prolonged period as it may have tax implications for you if being kept in a single location for too long after delivery...

Capital_R

Visit site
Thanks Alf,

Good to know in advance.

Kind of scuttled that idea a bit. But may look for an alternative such as you've suggested!

Or I just commit to a delivery crew to take her to the Med (but I very much wanted to do do that trip)!

She does have a 21' tender on the back, so the yacht can act as the mother ship i suppose. I'm used to the Pacific where each country is 500 miles apart at least... so size is key (as is the 750,000 litre fuel capacity!) - but alas... I'm feeling a bit over-sized right now..... :-(

Thanks so much,

R.

Divemaster1

Visit site
I am sure that if you are using one of the yards who have delivered Yachts to people NZ in the past, such as Ulysses (from Kleven or Ulstein), then they would be more than happy to help you out as a starter for 10 ...

Capital_R

Visit site
Thanks again!

Yes - I'm sure the yard would help willingly - but I'm more after the adventure.

Sorry for the delays; I'm still new in the site so my posts require moderators approval.

No hurry to get it to NZ - this is actually more like a shadow boat for a future boat that we may agree on, once we've got a hang of what we like/don't like (hence crazy fuel capacity etc).

Okay. We'll go back to Plan A which is to send her to Greece for Easter then Turkey for ANZAC day. But I was getting fond of the idea of Spring in the Baltic, then a poodle over to Bermuda in May/June; and back to the Med for July and winter.

Anyhow; will no doubt have more questions. Looking forward to seeing Europe by Sea!

:)
P.S. happy to receive instructions if anyone knows how to teach an idiot how to post a photo - the only options I get so far is to select a URL.

R.

Bouba

Visit site
Capital R, if you want to post pictures, look at the icon bar above on the post quick reply box. The third icon from the right allows you to post photos from your computer. Anything with 750,000 l of fuel I have to see!

Capital_R

Visit site
That seemed to work... but it came out very small.... not an actual photo yet. This was off the design phase...

Hopefully real photos soon..

We'll see.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Very impressive superyacht! Besides the fuel tank what makes it an expedition boat?

Capital_R

Visit site
Not sure really, of that definition...

It's ice classed and double hulled for a start...

She's designed as a go anywhere support vessel for a fleet I don't yet have to worry about (!!) (Am too poor to afford just yet).. which I've always wanted to be able to send to places of need.

This one, on addition to very nice accommodations for the family, can actually convert to an emergency response platform, able to support 200 people for 3-4 weeks at a time, including medical support.

We've equipped her with search and rescue services, fire fighting (water jets), long range night vision/infrared sensors, passive radar detectors/sensors and anti-electronic interference (GPS jamming etc) systems.

Plus, it has a wicked fast long range primary tender that can move at 47 knots for 500 miles if needed (in flat water of course) - or 1000 miles at 20+ knots. And we csn launch drones, eeather ballones etc from it as required, and have the electronics to make use of them all at once of need be.

Plus a helipad - makes it more than a normal gin palace with champagne etc.

It's part yacht (nz's largest private flag I'm told) and part humanitarian support platform.

Sorry... please don't laugh!

I'm a typical millennial geek... so these things come built in....

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Ice classed and double hulled.

She's designed as a go anywhere support vessel for a fleet I don't yet have to worry about (!!) That I intend to put in places of need.

This one, I'm addition to very nice axomosations for the family, can actually convert to an emergency response platform, able to support 200 people for 3-4 weeks at a time, including medical support.

We've equipped her with search and rescue services, fire fighting (water jets), long range night vision/ingrared sensors, passive radar detectors/sensors and anti-electronic interference (GPS jamming etc) systems.

Plus, it has a wicked fast long range primary tender that can move at 47 knots for 500 miles if needed (in flat water of course) - or 1000 miles at 20+ knots.

Plus a helipad - makes it more than a gin palace.

It's part yacht (nz's largest private flag I'm told) and part humanitarian support platform.

Sorry... please don't laugh!

I'm a geek... so these things come built in....
Well not just a geek but an extremely wealthy geek. Tell us more about this fleet and the humanitarian work.

Capital_R

Visit site
Not wealthy enough..!

The humanitarian work is my passion. Here's a bit more. This isn't much about Sweden though... which is my immediate worry.

[Capital_R] is a cyber security technologist in financial services, focussed on financial inclusion and banking systems in emerging markets. He is known for stabilising foreign exchange volatility in low liquidity economies' currencies, and banking and payment innovations benefiting communities. He was the British Bankers' Association Community Banker of the Year in 2013, at an age of 31.

Originally an Economist, he became a bank employee at the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC), and then an Energy Trader, before going on to found the first world-wide regional multi-currency immediate payment system to be used by central banks, piloted with UN Funding in the South Pacific.

Prior to that, [He] studied Cyber Security at M.I.T. and Financial Engineering at Stanford, with undergraduate training in Economics and Physics at the University of Otago.

At the time of delivery, the 34 years old stated his intention was to use the boat as an operating base in the vast and sparcely populated Pacific Islands to continue his work on financial inclusion, expanding access to education, medical services, and agricultural/fisheries development, in a region particularly vulnerable to global weather patterns and social change.

[He] is based in the UK, but spends most of his time in aeroplanes and in emerging markets.

Capital_R

Visit site
Sorry.

That was a semi-off cut and paste.

The boat can convert to do emergency cyclone or tsunami response... including medical facilities... it's set up to help people... as well as give me a break from being a workaholic for the past 15 years pretty much.

I'm not that into boats.. but have always dreamed of a vessel that could go places and do good things.

So anyway. Must sleep now... it's early where I am!

Cheers all - sorry for the segue

R.