Tablet for navigation - Android or iOS?

Which platform are you using, or would you prefer to use?

• Total voters

jlavery

Visit site
I'm interested in what platform people are using for tablets, and if both, which you prefer. From a developer's point of view there are vastly more Android devices available than iOS, despite the hype that iOS often gets.

Separate to the question of whether a plotter is better or not. If you're using a tablet (instead of or alongside a plotter), which platform do you use or prefer.

Afraid I'm not interested in discussion on the topic - just the numbers!

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
I got a reconditioned tablet from London Chartplotters. a year or two back, It's OK, but I'm not a great fan of the plotter software. I wanted to switch to Navionics, but the tablet runs an old version of Android, so no go. It's a good tablet, but it's something to be aware of if you're tempted to go down that route

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Android to answer the OPs question.

I replaced the plotter at the chart table with an android tablet. Bought a clip in case, cut the front flap off and screwed it over the hole from the previous plotter - it clipped in and out so was also portable, recharged with a short flying lead from the USB charging ports below it.

Coupled with an NMEA200 WiFi Router and a SIM card it could do everything, weather, nav, entertainment, engine monitoring, recipes to cook on board etc. etc. etc... a real hotch-potch of equipment all networked together and functioning superbly.

Electronic.JPG

Bristolfashion

Visit site
10" Samsung tablet, android 11 under £150 at the moment - a bargain. I use one of these at the nav station - on deck I have an 8" Lenovo running Android 7 which handles navionics fine and would be cheap as chips 2nd hand.

B27

Visit site
Both.
But last time we were out, I fired up an old handheld GPS, slapped in a waypoint and preferred a nice simple display of COG, SOG DTW and BRG. Viewable in bright sunlight across the cockpit while busy actually sailing the boat.

The 'toys' are great for pilotage, but you have to ask yourself how you will operate the boat if things get difficult.
What will it be like if green water is flying around? Or proper heavy rain?
We did have some issues with the Samsung tablet going into some sort of limpdim mode due to the hot sun. And that was Devon, not Cyprus. In September.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I use an elderly iPad mini running Navionics plus Memory Map for those superb large scale charts of Scottish anchorages.
The iPad is in a waterproof case mounted on a bracket at the helm and plugged into power so no danger of it going flat on me. It works, shrugs off the rain and spray, and if/when it dies I'll probably replace it with another bought cheaply 2nd hand.

nigel1

Visit site
I got a reconditioned tablet from London Chartplotters. a year or two back, It's OK, but I'm not a great fan of the plotter software. I wanted to switch to Navionics, but the tablet runs an old version of Android, so no go. It's a good tablet, but it's something to be aware of if you're tempted to go down that route
Did the same just recently, a Galaxy Tab A, android version 8.1.
Felt the plotter software was awful. As I was running open CPN on a PC using Osenc charts, I purchased the open CPN app and then downloaded my back up set of Osenc charts onto the tablet, much happier with this set up compared to the pre-installed software.

lustyd

Visit site
From a developer's point of view there are vastly more Android devices available than iOS, despite the hype that iOS often gets.
From a developer's point of view number of devices available/sold is irrelevant. Many Android devices are trash, and given to kids as babysitters. Propensity to install and pay for an app or in app purchase is more important, and the reason the vast majority of apps start on the Apple platform.
You're also not dealing with the population as a whole, you're dealing with "wealthy" yachties so percentage of iPhones is higher than in the population.

Finally, you're not asking the yachting community. The forums here are frequented by beardy old men who are far more likely to tell you they use paper charts than admit to owning a phone more recent than a Nokia 3310.

Good luck with your quest. I recommend asking the cruising forums on Facebook for better data.