Tablet confusion

Strathglass

Visit site
Is the GPS chip built in and not network dependant, I am not familiar with the pogo connector, does it have that facility to pug in directly.

The nexus 7 and the nexus 10 both have a built in GPS which still works when well out at sea well out of the range of a phone signal.
It is only the nexus 10 that has a pogo connector. It plugs into the bottom of the tablet in landscape mode. It is held into position my a couple of magnets. It is effectively the power providing part of a docking station. It has six pins which just make contact with pads on the tablet so is much less fragile than the small USB port. The pogo cable has a large USB plug at the other end. At home I powers it from a 13 Amp plug with a 2.5 Amp USB output. On the boat there is a twin USB socket which is powered from the 12 Volt domestic supply.
The cable costs about £20. EBay number 321568390003.

Visit site
I've followed this thread from the beginning and I'm offering my definitive advice: Please buy a HUDL2. It does everything you want. It's cheap. It runs Navionics. It has GPS. You can use club card points. Please buy one ;)

I really do appreciate your advice and concern, and I agree with all your points about the HUDL2, I have handled one, find it as easy to use, that is what little I did with it was, the reports on it all are very good except for battery life, I really do wish they made a 10", I have been seduced by that size against the 7".2 of the HUDL"2 and the iPad3 wifi+cellular inparticular as only the cellular have the GPS as you are aware from the thread.
You are of course absolutely correct, the HUDL2 will do all I require, and when I see it in isolation I really like it, we do not have club card points, we rarely shop in Tesco despite one quite close by, (my wifes choice she prefers Asda or Sainsburys,) we can have £30.00 worth of Tesco vouchers to spend if I redeem my Daily Mail reward points, which would discount it by some 23%, so a real bargain. It is still to be decided, and I may well buy the HUDL2, another good reason is it will be brand new, guaranteed, without the uncertainty that always lingers when buying second hand.

Spyro

Visit site
I've followed this thread from the beginning and I'm offering my definitive advice: Please buy a HUDL2. It does everything you want. It's cheap. It runs Navionics. It has GPS. You can use club card points. Please buy one ;)

145 posts!!!!! You're not going to end it that easily. This is just getting ridiculous now.

Visit site
145 posts!!!!! You're not going to end it that easily. This is just getting ridiculous now.

You made it 146! but why not, let those who wish to post advice or suggestions do so, for me, it has been very enlightening, educational, and greater appreciation of the forums, must there be a stopping point to any thread, there has obviously been much more meat on this particular bone than was previously envisaged.

Last edited:

oldharry

Visit site
That looks a great piece of kit, have googled the spec, doesn't say whether it has a GPS chip or not, would you know if it has.

Yes. Full GPS with no network dependency for positioning. I have the Yoga 8 , and find it excellent. Not found anything yet that it wont run. Mine doesnt have 3G anyway, and works very well in the motor caravan as a satnav with a choice of offline mappis downloaded to the SD card. Runs Navionics fine too, in case I take a wrong turn..... I tend not to take it aboard as its not waterproof, though it is possible to get waterprpoof covers for it..

PaulMcC

Visit site
I also have a sony xperia z tablet. Great piece of kit but definitely more expensive than many competitors. The waterproof element is really good for peace of mind. On a cross channel trip recently when everyone else was down below feeling rubbish I had the tablet up in the cockpit in the rain without any concern.
In fact I like the waterproof feature so much I just bought the phone sony equivilent which is basically the same as the tablet but pocket sized. (This is a result of getting my samsung phone wet having it in the cockpit - it suffered!)

Oh and navionics is good but it's just one of a number of chartplotter apps and definitely not my favourite.

Visit site
I also have a sony xperia z tablet. Great piece of kit but definitely more expensive than many competitors. The waterproof element is really good for peace of mind. On a cross channel trip recently when everyone else was down below feeling rubbish I had the tablet up in the cockpit in the rain without any concern.
In fact I like the waterproof feature so much I just bought the phone sony equivilent which is basically the same as the tablet but pocket sized. (This is a result of getting my samsung phone wet having it in the cockpit - it suffered!)

Oh and navionics is good but it's just one of a number of chartplotter apps and definitely not my favourite.
Be interested to know which app you favour most.

Birdseye

Visit site
I really do appreciate your advice and concern, and I agree with all your points about the HUDL2, I have handled one, find it as easy to use, that is what little I did with it was, the reports on it all are very good except for battery life, I really do wish they made a 10", I have been seduced by that size against the 7".2 of the HUDL"2 and the iPad3 wifi+cellular inparticular as only the cellular have the GPS as you are aware from the thread.
You are of course absolutely correct, the HUDL2 will do all I require, and when I see it in isolation I really like it, we do not have club card points, we rarely shop in Tesco despite one quite close by, (my wifes choice she prefers Asda or Sainsburys,) we can have £30.00 worth of Tesco vouchers to spend if I redeem my Daily Mail reward points, which would discount it by some 23%, so a real bargain. It is still to be decided, and I may well buy the HUDL2, another good reason is it will be brand new, guaranteed, without the uncertainty that always lingers when buying second hand.

Sarnia
I have and use a nexus 10 on the boat. Works very well but IMO its a bit big. I use it on deck when steering operating as a repeater for the B&G plotter below decks. But lying there on one of the cockpit seats, it gets in the way and sooner or later I just know that one of us is going to sit on it. My Nexus 4 phone is too small to substitute and in any case the B&G software allows you to operate the plotter from a tablet but not from a phone !!! So I am intending to buy a 7 inch tablet that I can possible hang round my neck or put in one of the cockpit cubbeyhole lockers

In short my recommendation based on experience would be not to buy a 10 inch but a 7 inch.

Ravi

Visit site

While I get by with the more humble HUDL, I know a keen dinghy sailor who enthuses about his Xperia Z phone and tablet.
The benefits of a truly waterproof (submersible) device on a boat are pretty obvious but he says that it is great in every other way, as well.
If the your permits it, the Xperia Z tablet and phone would seem to be the logical choice for anyone spending time on the water.

eddystone

Visit site
Only want a low cost tablet to replace Samsung galaxy 3 phone round my neck with Navionics for inshore pilotage when I can't leave the wheel. Chartplotter at chart table does the navi stuff. problem with phone is I've bought a flip case I can't get off quickly enough to put in waterproof case and screen is a bit small. I would go with Hudl2 but for battery life issue so I'm tempted by A grade refurbished Nexus 7(2013) at £115- the one with HD screen which is apparently better than the Hudl2 (£129)

eddystone

Visit site
Only want a low cost tablet to replace Samsung galaxy 3 phone round my neck with Navionics for inshore pilotage when I can't leave the wheel. Chartplotter at chart table does the navi stuff. problem with phone is I've bought a flip case I can't get off quickly enough to put in waterproof case and screen is a bit small. I would go with Hudl2 but for battery life issue so I'm tempted by A grade refurbished Nexus 7(2013) at £115- the one with HD screen which is apparently better than the Hudl2 (£129)

Actually meant tiller - if I had a wheel things would be different - not better but different

Strathglass

Visit site
Think I'm going senile - forgotten why i posted that - it was to ask if both of these devices have GPS and the necessary hardware to run Navionics HD?

Two days ago I got an update on my nexus 10 for navionics uk/Holland HD went in well and it was a big improvement. Now with depth contour lines and a divider. That was with the tablet at android 4.4.4 and life was great.
Yesterday my tablet was uploaded to android 5.0 lolipop. It has a lot of features which are quite useful and everything works great.

THAT IS EXCEPT NAVIONICS UK/HOLLAND HD. IT FLASHED ON THE SCREEN INITIALLY THEN GOES OFF AND I CANNOT LOAD IT.

I will be on to Navionics today.