Tab Sail System main furling

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
Any help please. I have TAB Sail Systems mainsail furling system which was retro fitted to the mast, replacing slab reefing, before I bought her. Has anyone any experience of this system with respect to how to change the furling line - it appears that there are six or so screws in the outer cheeks that may be holding the bottom part of the drum mechanism in place, and there is also a centre bolt underneath.

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

misterg

Visit site
Have got the same system, but no info on it. I believe TAB no longer exist. FWIW, I think the "central bolt" is the end of the furling foil(?), and can be used to furl the sail if the line breaks, or maybe to wind on a new furling line provided you can attach the end to the drum. The six(?) screws wouldn't seem to do much, as the side plates that they fit through seem to be rivetted on, also.

<guessing>Perhaps if you undo these, it is possible to lift the whole inner part up until you can get access to the furling drum through the large apperture above the boom /<guessing>

I could really use some information on the system, especially how to maintain the upper & lower swivels. Just squirting WD40 into them at the moment, but I would like to do it properly, as seizure wouldn't be pleasant.

Andy

<hr width=100% size=1>

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
Hi, I was sort of hoping that by undoing the bottom bolt and unscrewing the screws around the bottom (which I thought might be a sort of "end cap") the furling drum may drop down for access. was hoping to do it without taking the main off. I might be able to get hold of the guy that used to look after the boat before I bought her and see what he says, if any luck I'll send you a pm.

May all your winds be broad reaches.

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

bobnewbury

www.sailblogs.com
The large nut at the bottom takes a 24mm spanner and can be used to furl the sail. It will even do it when the system jams (usually because the outhaul tension was slack when furling or because the topping lift is incorrectly adjusted giving incorrect leach tension.

You have to pull the sail right out to remove the furling line. Use the nut to turn the drum and you will see a small hole come into view in the side of the drum. There is an Allen key head visible (or there should be). This is a grub screw which grips the end of the furling line. Slacken this off and the line pulls out.

Reverse to install the line. Before you do it, note how many turns there are on the drum when the sail is fully out. You need to put the same number on before you re-attach the sail. This is critical. Too few and you won't be able to fully furl the sail. Too many and the line jams the drum.

<hr width=100% size=1>