SVB24.com

Visit site
Good Morning All,

Not sure if this is the right place… or allowed. I’ve always been taught to seek forgiveness rather than permission ?

I need to order some bits online. Has anybody used SVB24.com to purchase parts and had them shipped to the uk?

Just looking for experiences around taxes etc.

Similarly, you may have used an alternative European supplier and have other relevant feedback.

Thank You as always ?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
A UK based friend of mine used them earlier this year (on my recommendation).
No duty or taxes to pay.

The duty and tax problem seems to manifest itself more when ordering in the UK for shipment to the EU.
As I experienced when I ordered items from Seamark Nunn and Jimmy Green.
Won't do that again in a hurry.

st599

Visit site
In the B(word not to be mentioned) deal, anything up to £135 they sort out the VAT and import duty. Over £135, the shipping company sorts it.

Kelpie

Visit site
A UK based friend of mine used them earlier this year (on my recommendation).
No duty or taxes to pay.

The duty and tax problem seems to manifest itself more when ordering in the UK for shipment to the EU.
As I experienced when I ordered items from Seamark Nunn and Jimmy Green.
Won't do that again in a hurry.
I believe the EU has imposed the new tariff regime but the UK is delaying its side, [Unwelcome content removed].

Last edited by a moderator:
Visit site
Thank you for the responses so far. That sounds like encouraging news. For those that have ordered were you north or south or the £135 watershed? Can do one big order to save on shipping or could split if it’s going to save me the tax related red tape.

Cspirit

Visit site
I have just purchased and received a windlass from SVB24. I paid VAT and a small customs duty charge. I'm UK based so I expected this and the overall price was the same as I would have expected if I had sourced the item in the UK - I couldn't find this particular windlass in the UK so hence the purchase from Germany. I paid no UK VAT on this item. No problems with this transaction so recommended.

starfire

Visit site
I have used them a lot, but at the time for shipping into the EU.

A slight warning, over the years I have bought lots of dzr seacocks (after brexit, too difficult to source from the uk)

All have been good with a gland nut on the spindle, last 2 batches have changed with a pressed in seal instead of a nut, several of them leaked at launch, needing another lift to change the valves.

Sorted by SVB, but last time I order valves from them

Visit site
I have just purchased and received a windlass from SVB24. I paid VAT and a small customs duty charge. I'm UK based so I expected this and the overall price was the same as I would have expected if I had sourced the item in the UK - I couldn't find this particular windlass in the UK so hence the purchase from Germany. I paid no UK VAT on this item. No problems with this transaction so recommended.

That’s really helpful, thank you.

For me, similarly to you, the tax isn’t really the issue. If you know it’s 20% VAT then 10% customs fees etc it’s easy to factor in however with such little real experience it’s hard to judge.

The most positive thing to hear on this thread is that things aren’t being held up for long periods and goods seem to be moving quickly ?

Frankklose

Visit site
You would not believe the difficulties which we experience in Germany with deliveries from the UK. Belive sometimes on purpose from Brussel....Now I buy VP Spares from Sofia Bulgaria....would rather buy from P4E....[Unwelcome content removed].

Last edited by a moderator:

st599

Visit site
That’s really helpful, thank you.

For me, similarly to you, the tax isn’t really the issue. If you know it’s 20% VAT then 10% customs fees etc it’s easy to factor in however with such little real experience it’s hard to judge.

The most positive thing to hear on this thread is that things aren’t being held up for long periods and goods seem to be moving quickly ?
If it's over £135 there's normally a fee from the shippers for working out how much you owe, too.

BabaYaga

Visit site

Just curious how this would work.
I would have expected the purchase to be ex VAT in Germany and UK VAT (plus possibly handling fee) added on arrival.

This is what svb says in their terms and conditions:

5.1 Prices

All of our prices mentioned are displayed in EURO and include the value added tax (VAT) prescribed by law, plus shipping charges and transport insurance. There will be no VAT added to deliveries to countries outside the EU.

I understand this as export (out of EU) sales from svb to be ex VAT.
Surprised that in your case it seems to have been the other way around.

Visit site
Just curious how this would work.
I would have expected the purchase to be ex VAT in Germany and UK VAT (plus possibly handling fee) added on arrival.

This is what svb says in their terms and conditions:

5.1 Prices

All of our prices mentioned are displayed in EURO and include the value added tax (VAT) prescribed by law, plus shipping charges and transport insurance. There will be no VAT added to deliveries to countries outside the EU.

I understand this as export (out of EU) sales from svb to be ex VAT.
Surprised that in your case it seems to have been the other way around.

All very confusing isn’t it. I think the only way to know is to try it and I’ll report back the findings.

Although this thread has given me some confidence that it’s not going to be a total disaster.

Quick mention to the moderators, I can see they are looking at the posts here and being sensible allowing the conversation to continue as this is a practical issue we’re all going to face over the coming months and years. Thank you.

Cspirit

Visit site
To be clear: the windlass cost around 600 euros plus postage from SVB. This was VAT free as exporting outside Europe. The carrier, DHL sent me a text or email with the VAT and Customs charge which I then paid on line. The windlass was delivered the next day.

BabaYaga

Visit site
To be clear: the windlass cost around 600 euros plus postage from SVB. This was VAT free as exporting outside Europe. The carrier, DHL sent me a text or email with the VAT and Customs charge which I then paid on line. The windlass was delivered the next day.

Thank you.
As I understand it the VAT that DHL collected from you must then have been the UK import VAT, not the German sales VAT.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Exactly the same process when I get stuff delivered to Switzerland where VAT is 7% . If I get it delivered to my Marina in Spain they charge German VAT at 21%.
It's been like this for me since I started using them long before the B word. You chaps in the UK should know this is how it would be just like importing from any non EU country before the B.

st599

Visit site
Exactly the same process when I get stuff delivered to Switzerland where VAT is 7% . If I get it delivered to my Marina in Spain they charge German VAT at 21%.
It's been like this for me since I started using them long before the B word. You chaps in the UK should know this is how it would be just like importing from any non EU country before the B.

Far too aware - I think Geneva airport had a seat reserved for me in the Customs waiting area with equipment coming from the UK, in to Switzerland, in to the EU, back to Switzerland then back to the UK, sometimes via the USA.